Photo

Best overhead mic that doubles as a vocal mic?

- - - - - Vocal Overhead Mic sound audio recording

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Ksahoo34

Ksahoo34

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUnited States

So i've got about 200 bucks to spend. I need a good overhead mic, that doubles as a vocal mic. I don't want to spend too much on both, so if someone could recommend me a good mic that'd be awesome!
Fun Fact: Met Luke Holland drummer of The Word Alive (He's a monster) at Vans Warped Tour Today!

supershifter2

supershifter2

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,198 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.

a used Shure SM81.

Tim Boettcher

Tim Boettcher

Mapex Artist - Owner Kick Prints

• Retail
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationMotown

a used Shure SM81.

Good call!! My suggestion as well....

LimaPop

LimaPop

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationBoulder
I like the Audix i5 for that purpose, to my ears it has more bass and clarity than the sm81 but both are good mics.

JBernie

JBernie

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationNW Ohio
I HIGHLY recommend large diaphram condenser mics since vocals are being recorded. Below is what I have used and really liked for both overheads and vocals.......

Blue Spark ($199 and currently with a $30 rebate from Blue).
SE 2200aIIc ($249 most places)
SE X1 ($199 most places)
Avantone CK-6 ($179 most places)

Edited by JBernie, 04 July 2014 - 09:46 AM.

TonyBono

TonyBono

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans
Agreed with the large diaphragm suggestion.

My personal fave for both is the Shure KSM27. It has great low end extension for a cardioid pattern- toms and kick drum sound absolutely huge. It's not hyped in the high end, which makes for very natural voice overs.

It's been replaced in their lineup (moved, actually, to the SM series), but you can find them on Ebay for under $175 pretty regularly

Edited by TonyBono, 04 July 2014 - 11:24 AM.

gbake

gbake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Locationsocal
Heil PR 30 a little above your price point. About $250 if you shop around.

FunkyCrime

FunkyCrime

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 746 posts
  • LocationNJ
I would definitely go with an LDC as well. I have an Avantone CK-6 Id make you a great deal on. PM me if your interested.

ianjphil

ianjphil

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Heil PR 30 a little above your price point. About $250 if you shop around.

+1 for the PR-30. One of the most versatile mics around IMO. Not too many microphones can make a great Overhead, Vocal, Bass Drum, Snare Drum, Tom, or anything microphone. The PR-30 sounds great on all sources.

LimaPop

LimaPop

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationBoulder
I agree condensers are better, but I struggle with feedback on stage with them. They are wonderful in the studio. I just used an Audix OM7 last night in stage I and it was great, no feedback, great voice tone.

jaybeez

jaybeez

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Agreed with the large diaphragm suggestion.

My personal fave for both is the Shure KSM27. It has great low end extension for a cardioid pattern- toms and kick drum sound absolutely huge. It's not hyped in the high end, which makes for very natural voice overs.

It's been replaced in their lineup (moved, actually, to the SM series), but you can find them on Ebay for under $175 pretty regularly

Yup ... +1

MatrixClaw

MatrixClaw

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,146 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ
Find a used Audio Technica AT4040, a used CAD E100 (I have one I'd sell ya for $160 shipped ;) ) or two MXL V67s, if you like more meaty, mid-heavy overheads. Great sleeper mic for vocals and they're so cheap, you could buy two and have a proper spaced pair for drums.

I agree condensers are better, but I struggle with feedback on stage with them. They are wonderful in the studio. I just used an Audix OM7 last night in stage I and it was great, no feedback, great voice tone.

Feedback as overheads or on vocals? I could see vocals but you must be doing something wrong if your issues are on OH.

Edited by MatrixClaw, 06 July 2014 - 01:47 AM.

TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,598 posts
For 200, a cad m179

aamicrophones

aamicrophones

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSummerland, BC Canada

So i've got about 200 bucks to spend. I need a good overhead mic, that doubles as a vocal mic. I don't want to spend too much on both, so if someone could recommend me a good mic that'd be awesome!
Fun Fact: Met Luke Holland drummer of The Word Alive (He's a monster) at Vans Warped Tour Today!

I would love to help but our Pro Audio entry level LDC microphone starts at $295 for the CM47fet which has been used for Jennifer Hudson vocals and also makes a great OH and can also be used in front of the kick drum.  Nir Z is also using our CM47fet as tom microphones.  

Cheers, Dave Thomas 

Advanced Audio

TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,598 posts

For that kind of coin I would look at a CAD M179. Might find a used AT4040 or 4033 if you were patient

tommykat1

tommykat1

Drummer Excelsior

• Double Platinum
  • 9,242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Shoot, I would say none of the above. You need a vocal mic mixed separately from the overhead. And the vocal is best to be dynamic, the overhead condenser. Vocal = Sure SM58 with on/off switch on the cable. Overhead = Rode NT4 Stereo condenser. Just my 02.

Edited by tommykat1, 03 March 2015 - 11:57 PM.

AJMcHardy

AJMcHardy

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Gully, Victoria, Australia.

Lots of good suggestions already, I'll throw in the Rode NT1A or NT1 for good measure.

e.g.

e.g.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA.

In a "live" situation, I have had great results with a Sure sm57 facing straight down at the kit just above and in front of my head. I can then sing backup vocals, and the whole kit comes through the PA as well. For 200 bucks you could get another one for the kick, and you are pretty much covered!

TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,598 posts

Do you want a mic that can serve as an OH mic you can also sing into live or do you want a mic for recording that can serve in both roles?  The first would be pretty unusual. I stand by my recommendations for the recording option

bzzfkt

bzzfkt

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationIndy west

In a "live" situation, I have had great results with a Sure sm57 facing straight down at the kit just above and in front of my head. I can then sing backup vocals, and the whole kit comes through the PA as well. For 200 bucks you could get another one for the kick, and you are pretty much covered!

Good idea...  no need to get too fancy....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vocal, Overhead, Mic, sound, audio, recording

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users