Photo

Best overhead mic that doubles as a vocal mic?

- - - - - Vocal Overhead Mic sound audio recording

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,421 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Shoot, I would say none of the above. You need a vocal mic mixed separately from the overhead. And the vocal is best to be dynamic, the overhead condenser. Vocal = Sure SM58 with on/off switch on the cable. Overhead = Rode NT4 Stereo condenser. Just my 02.

+1

MatrixClaw

MatrixClaw

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,146 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Shoot, I would say none of the above. You need a vocal mic mixed separately from the overhead. And the vocal is best to be dynamic, the overhead condenser. Vocal = Sure SM58 with on/off switch on the cable. Overhead = Rode NT4 Stereo condenser. Just my 02.

I'm sure he's not looking for a mic to do both at the same time live.  If he is, he's crazy... :P

gwbasley

gwbasley

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationHoliday, Florida

I'll cast a vote for the Beta 57...you'll save $75 as well.

dwdave

dwdave

Groovinator

• Platinum
  • 2,077 posts
  • LocationDavis, Ca

In a "live" situation, I have had great results with a Sure sm57 facing straight down at the kit just above and in front of my head. I can then sing backup vocals, and the whole kit comes through the PA as well. For 200 bucks you could get another one for the kick, and you are pretty much covered!

Good idea...  no need to get too fancy....

Yep, the condenser is likely to feedback. You could go with 2 mics (used) a i7 or 57/58 for vocals and a MXL 990 for the overhead. you can get both used for under 200 bucks and get much better use.

Doosh

Doosh

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,014 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Ain't nothing wrong with an SM58, and it doubles a decent choice for toms and kick in a pinch.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vocal, Overhead, Mic, sound, audio, recording

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users