- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

BBeyer

BBeyer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
I found a WMP 24, 13, 16, 16, (with 14" tama snare) slingerland drumset for sale in nice shape.. the guy says they are from the mid to early 80's, but the badges are all gold and black. the bottom of the badge just reads USA which is different than the 60's badges which read niles, illinois, USA..
The tom mount is a pearl style which could be original as slingerland did have a "magnum" or 'magnamax" hardware line later on, the guy seems to think its the original mount
Was this some special edition series with a short production run, or did they go back to the gold on all the high end kits before they went out of buisness? the only later 80's slingerlands i've seen have that tacky oversize black and silver badge, they look like they are built in taiwan..

whats the deal here? Am i looking at gretsch-built slingelrand drums??? they bought the slingerland and leedy names around 1980 right? maybe this is a jasper shell kit with slingerland hardware????
Im trying to attach a photo of the badge but the forum wont allow Bitmap files

Kevin O'Connor

Kevin O'Connor

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,971 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, Indiana USA
BBeyer,

You might compare the badges to the badges at this site:

http://www.vintagesn...rums.com/drcjw/

I have an 80's Magnum kit with power toms, black and silver football shape badge with ser #'s 450XXX.
The tom mounts are magnum Slingerland and not Pearl pipe type. My drums were made in Niles, IL

BBeyer

BBeyer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
thanks for the link. its weird though, the badge i have isnt on that site. they list a 1986 badge thats gold and black but says niles illinois. my badge is simply USA like i said. A forum member over at vintagedrumforums says that he has a drum with the same badge and he got it from musicyo (asian drum).
wierd.

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 10,109 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA
Agreed, all the drums without Niles on them have been the later Asian ones in my experience. Some are still good drums for the money. Some are crap. Can you inspect before you buy?

Kevin O'Connor

Kevin O'Connor

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,971 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, Indiana USA

lossforgain said:

Agreed, all the drums without Niles on them have been the later Asian ones in my experience. Some are still good drums for the money.

Ditto LFG,

I had a set of Slingerland Spirit drums which made overseas and were very good drums!

BBeyer

BBeyer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
Well the drums are about 4-5 hours away from me but the only reason I considered looking at them is because I'm visiting family inbetween Here and the city where the drums are.. It would still be almost a 2 hr trip from my sisters house to see the drums so if they arent anything special im not gonna mess around.
I thought at first that I found some kind of rarity and the guy only wants 500 bucks OBO on the kit with good cymbals and hardware

sksmith-1

sksmith-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
They look like early 90's "Artist Classic" series drums. Made in Asia, using American maple and poplar plies.
The badges will be like the black / brass Niles badge, except say "USA" instead of "Niles".
For the money, very nice sounding drums. If you aren't interested, do you mind telling me where they are located?

ducodon

ducodon

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,061 posts
  • Location4 blocks from turn 1 of the indianapolis motor speedway
if the tom didn't have 10 lugs and only 12 on the floor toms i would be interested in them. but i would bet that thouse are some of the cardbourd shell drum thay made in the end. i would just like to have them as a part of my slingy colestion and not for 500

sksmith-1

sksmith-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Donny, the cardboard "Sonatube" drums used a black / silver aluminum foil badge that said "Niles".

BBeyer

BBeyer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
10 lug tom?? I thought the only 10 luggers were gretsch with 5 lugs on each head (??) this tom looks like its got 6 a head to me, like a standard slingy setup.

So they are built with american wood, american name, probably all the same american lug castings... but assembled overseas? Will this kit have the COS hoops on it which are super-cheesy?
its funny how you can build a drumset cheaper by sending its parts across the atlantic twice.

BTW the drums are in rochester, ny

BBeyer

BBeyer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/... ... 2761.l1259

found this on ebay and asked the seller if he knew anything else about the drums.. he said he designed them for slingerland... said they were built overseas and then wrapped with "american" coverings and an american badge... sounds shady to me but Maybe this guy is for real i dunno

sksmith-1

sksmith-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
That's it!
The Ebay auction sounds correct. They were designed by HSS, here in the states, when Gretsch owned Slingerland. They were American maple/poplar/maple/poplar/maple shells. The wood plies were shipped to Asia and assembled over there, then sent back. The lugs and Sticksaver hoops are Asian, and the quality is not up to the Niles-era drums.
These were considered to be Slingerland's mid-line drums, below the Jasper-shelled Lites, but above the low end Spirits.
Again, for $500, that's not a bad kit. The wrap will be an issue though. It was applied with tape and just doesn't hold up.
Steve

BBeyer

BBeyer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
cool I think I'll stay away from this kit.. Maybe I would go for it if the price was lower .. he did say negotiable but i'll let somebody else worry about it. I've got the real deal slingerland stuff back home (long island) in my dads basement.. a few of them including a Black diamond '66 set, a red glitter '66 set, and a slingerleedy red glitter '66 set. Hes also got a decent brown veneer 70's kit with a 14x24, 16x16, 8x12, 9x13, on dual set-o-matic with no snare that hes lookin to sell. the drums are nice, all new heads...etc. but the only issue is the floor tom got wet at one point 'cause the inside ply has a bit of lifting and cracking

st3ady

st3ady

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • LocationCalgary
That appears to be an HSS era Buddy Rich kit - I suggest this because the two floor toms are 16s.

These would be 'Artist' Series drums - North American maple shipped to Asia for assembly. During the HSS Era, as described earlier, Slingerland had three lines - Spirit (budget), Artist (intermediate) and Lites (high end, and my favorite sounding drums... ever!).

I would say that for $500, that is a pretty reasonable price, especially with a 24 inch bass drum. The Artist series from this era is what Bernard Purdie played, so they are not junk!

cheers!

BBeyer

BBeyer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

That appears to be an HSS era Buddy Rich kit - I suggest this because the two floor toms are 16s.

These would be 'Artist' Series drums - North American maple shipped to Asia for assembly. During the HSS Era, as described earlier, Slingerland had three lines - Spirit (budget), Artist (intermediate) and Lites (high end, and my favorite sounding drums... ever!).

I would say that for $500, that is a pretty reasonable price, especially with a 24 inch bass drum. The Artist series from this era is what Bernard Purdie played, so they are not junk!

cheers!

Maybe i'd jump on it if it had a matching WMP snare. that Chrome Tama rockstar is BLECH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users