• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

troutstudio

troutstudio

Idealist

• Gold
  • 3,956 posts
  • LocationSouth of the border

Tonight has got to be the best snare drum sound I have heard in that venue. And that includes Springsteen, Coldplay, U2, Robbie Williams and Pink. Is that a special drum, apart from the graphic? Talk about cut through guitars. And he really doesn't look like he's hitting it that hard either. I want one!

Rik_Everglade

Rik_Everglade

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 985 posts
  • LocationSilver Creek, NY

On their "Stripped" album, I think the sounds were very organic, and with a sweet snare sound. I like that they record live in the studio, and get great sounds. 

mariosdrums

mariosdrums

Pro

• Platinum
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationSunny So. Cal

There is nothing special about Charlie's snare from what I heard at DW. It is a run of the mill 5x14 10&6 maple snare. Basically, DW's standard ply maple offering forever. He had a plain maple finished one he used for years and they gifted him with the tongue snare in the last year or two.

Charlie has a great touch, hit tech knows how to tune, and the Stones front of house engineer is beyond amazing. I noticed he builds his mix largely around that snare sound, and from my ears leaning heavily on the overheads in addition to the close mics.

Edited by mariosdrums, 12 November 2014 - 10:59 AM.

dcrigger

dcrigger

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,733 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

There is nothing special about Charlie's snare from what I heard at DW. It is a run of the mill 5x14 10&6 maple snare. Basically, DW's standard ply maple offering forever. He had a plain maple finished one he used for years and they gifted him with the tongue snare in the last year or two.

Charlie has a great touch, hit tech knows how to tune, and the Stones front of house engineer is beyond amazing. I noticed he builds his mix largely around that snare sound, and from my ears leaning heavily on the overheads in addition to the close mics.

+1 - I would guess a whole lot of normal "bows" (snare, mic, signal processing, sound system) being utilized by a whole string of very proficient "Indians".

Edited by dcrigger, 12 November 2014 - 04:51 PM.

Chunkaway

Chunkaway

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,642 posts
The custom Rolling Stones snare he got from DW looks bigger than 5x14. Could be a 6.5x14.

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,988 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

here's a thread

http://www.drumforum...s-new-dw-snare/

`

sidenote: Check the Masshoff snare video

https://www.google.c...ox-a&channel=sb

`

leads to website

http://www.masshoffdrums.com/

back to DW:

https://www.facebook...92320084133512/

Edited by JDA, 12 November 2014 - 06:20 PM.

rikkrebs

rikkrebs

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,989 posts
  • LocationMiddletown Ohio

It's those Kangaroo heads.

Paradiddle

Paradiddle

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,128 posts

It's those Kangaroo heads.

Never mind.  :)  Just read the other thread.

Which video is the OP talking about?  Put a link so I can hear the snare also.  He was using a different DW on the Shine a Light movie that also sounded great.

Edited by Paradiddle, 12 November 2014 - 06:55 PM.

troutstudio

troutstudio

Idealist

• Gold
  • 3,956 posts

I don't mean a video, I mean live in the Allphones Arena, last night. Was he using Steele's heads? I saw CS on the toms, the usual cymbals except for that wacky wavy crash; and I thought an Ambassador on the snare but the camera was not at a good angle for that. I don't care if it's a standard DW snare; it sounded great and I'm going to buy one. I love maple snares and I think John Good is a great drum-smith. Charlie did what he does as usual; and the feels are how can I say it - slightly more shambolic these days (I've seen them 3 times) but the Stones live is way more than just Charlie. Superb experience and worth every cent. Usual problems with the cymbal sound in that room but his pies have never knocked me out for live. It's his sound though. But that snare was the star - perhaps along with the floor tom, which really shook the ground.

Manicoti

Manicoti

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,367 posts
  • LocationSpruce View, Alberta
I almost bought that exact DW snare model a few years ago because of Charlie's snare sound but ended up not for some reason. I remember watching video after video to get a look at what snare it was until I stumbled upon the video of him doing a quick tour of his kit.

I think i read once that a close friend (who passed away not long after) gave him his first DW snare and he's been using one ever since. Can anyone corroborate this?

Edited by Manicoti, 12 November 2014 - 10:14 PM.

troutstudio

troutstudio

Idealist

• Gold
  • 3,956 posts

I almost bought that exact DW snare model a few years ago because of Charlie's snare sound but ended up not for some reason. I remember watching video after video to get a look at what snare it was until I stumbled upon the video of him doing a quick tour of his kit.

I think i read once that a close friend (who passed away not long after) gave him his first DW snare and he's been using one ever since. Can anyone corroborate this?

That sounds very Charlie. But that thing sounds great. Granted he has a good tech; and FOH in Dave Natale - but - significantly better than Pink, U2 and Coldplay? I think the drum has to be given some credit for the sound. I have a friend who played in Air Supply. He once went through 50 Ibanez 335 copies at the factory and got one that he says plays better than 99% of Gibson 335's. I'm sure Charlie got a good one from DW.

snurf

snurf

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationFinland

For sure, like Elvin Jones, who used to spent hours in Gretsch warehouse, Brooklyn to pick the good sounding K's.

Charlie remarkable touch and proper gate,eq, sampling works wonders.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Charlie Watts, DW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users