• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

KINGTRIXON

KINGTRIXON

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, Maryland

At long last, I found a beautiful pair of matching vintage Ludwig model 1402 "Atlas" cymbal stands. These stands are the earlier first generation versions. I have included some photos of the two cymbal stands, then a shot of a pair of tripod bases, the taller tripod on the left is the later, second generation model.

The next photo shows two center tubes, the tube at the top of the photo is the older variation, with a "coke bottle" shape to it. The later second generation version has a longer, tapered sleeve.

The picture with the tilter assemblies has the older model on the left. This tilter is flatter and lighter in weight, and it has a shorter threaded cymbal rod.

I have "discovered" only a few of these earlier Atlas cymbal stands in my 30+ years of buying and selling vintage drums. They command a premium price because John Bonham used them in his setup, during his time with Led Zeppelin. 

Attached Files

Speedy Keen

Speedy Keen

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Very interesting Rich.  The comparison shots are helpful.  Do you have a rough idea of when Ludwig introduced these stands?   If you don't  see many  (if any)  of these,  that certainly says something. 

k.zildjian

k.zildjian

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,948 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids,Michigan

Had one a while back..thought it was a prototype!

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 17,668 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I have only one of those stands (with the taller tripod base)and have hardly ever run across them. They were in production for about 6 years (1968-1975ish) so it's odd that they are as uncommon as they seem to be.

I bought a Ludwig Hollywood set in late 1975 and immediately set about upgrading my stands to the Atlas variety. As a kid without a job I could only afford to buy one stand at a time. The first stand I ordered (late 1975) was the snare stand and it came with the flat legs. In early 1976 I ordered my first Atlas cymbal stand and when it arrived it had the tubular legs with the swivel feet, although the other details remained the same. As I continued ordering new stands one by one the Atlas line continued to evolve. Each new arrival was slightly different from the one before. The final one having the tubular legs, the big rubber feet, and the black plastic knobs everywhere. Then (1978-9) the Atlas line was superseded by the Hercules series. A revamped Atlas line did continue for a bit as the line under the Hercules but IIRC they regressed back to a flat leg design.

I like the stands you have there which were what I wanted when I started ordering my replacements for the flat base models. The flat legged versions were pictured in the 75 catalog even as they were being replaced. As I said though, you just don't see that many of these earlier versions despite the fact that they surely sold a large number of them during the early 70's.

There is a flyer that seems to indicate that Ludwig initially planned to offer both types of legs simultaneously but the flat legged versions disappeared soon after.

Attached Files

Edited by K.O., 01 February 2015 - 12:58 PM.

thin shell

thin shell

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,993 posts
that early tilter is the same casting that was used on the WFL and Ludwig flat based snare stands. Eventually it was replaced by the later one on the cymbal stands on on the snare stands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users