• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

mc437

mc437

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationThetford Center, VT

Seems like they had a ton of hype for a while there, and now they dropped off...

I just picked up a pair of 21"ers. One is from the Traditional Series, while the other is a Master Series. The Traditional is beefier and makes  a great primary ride, while the Master is very thin and pairs with the other cymbal as a perfect crash. They sound great. Made me wonder why they're, seemingly, not popular cymbals anymore. Anyone playing 'em these days? Did Jeff Hamilton and Stanton Moore leaving put a proverbial nail in the Bosphorus coffin? 

jb78

jb78

• Members
  • 253 posts
I have two Bosohorus rides - one is the 21" masters and I use it much like you do. Overall, my favorite cymbal company.

plumbndrum

plumbndrum

Advanced Member

• Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

My last three cymbal purchases were Bosphorus. 22" Master Vintage ride, 20" MV ride and an 18" Turk thin crash.

I  love 'em. I'll be buying more soon.

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

I play and love my Bosphorus cymbals. I never want to sell the ones I have, and wish I hadn't sold any of the ones I've had before!

Here's what I have:

14" New Orleans hats

18" Master Vintage crash

20" New Orleans ride

Drumland Vaughan

Drumland Vaughan

• Retail
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationVaughan, Ontario

Bosphorus makes some fantastic cymbals, they're one of the few "smaller" Turkish cymbal companies that we carry here, and we have it that way for a reason.

My favourties would probably have to be the 21" Master Vintage ride and anything Black Pearl. Super jazzy, dark and washy with just the right amount of stick.

CeeJay

CeeJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationUSA

Seems like they had a ton of hype for a while there, and now they dropped off...

I just picked up a pair of 21"ers. One is from the Traditional Series, while the other is a Master Series. The Traditional is beefier and makes  a great primary ride, while the Master is very thin and pairs with the other cymbal as a perfect crash. They sound great. Made me wonder why they're, seemingly, not popular cymbals anymore. Anyone playing 'em these days? Did Jeff Hamilton and Stanton Moore leaving put a proverbial nail in the Bosphorus coffin? 

I really don't think Bosphorus is in any danger of disappearing.  They seem to have a pretty loyal following among connoisseurs of Turkish cymbals.

I certainly hope they stick around.  Bosphorus, along with Istanbul Agop and Istanbul Mehmet, is a part of the "trinity" of truly awesome (truly hand made) Turkish cymbals in my opinion.

drumgadget

drumgadget

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 517 posts
  • LocationHealdsburg, Corte Madera CA
I would not dream of leaving the house for my restaurant gig (backing singer) without my Bosphorus rides. I have a lovely 19" Masters on the left, and a marvelous, wobbly sweetheart of a 21" Masters as my main. I don't know what I'd do without them ...... !

Mike

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 11,928 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
I have an 18" Masters Vintage crash ride. I have found my preferences these days are skewed more to Istanbul Agop and Mehmet in that order.

Edited by RickP, 18 June 2016 - 09:32 PM.

bongomania

bongomania

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,915 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR
I think it's true that the "hype" has faded, but the cymbals themselves are still consistently some of the best on the market. They just need to step up their marketing game is all.

slinginit

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...

• Members
  • 2,323 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Can one buy directly from the factory?  A friend of mine is going to Istanbul to visit a friend.  She offered to look into cymbals so I immediately sent her info on Bosphorus.  Would love to have an 18" Antique crash (thin or med-thin).  Figured the 1300-1400 gram range is pretty solid.  I love their decay and fundamental notes - they're lush and dry at the same time.  :happy11:

jb78

jb78

• Members
  • 253 posts

I love that there's so much praise within this thread for the 21" Masters. I've always found it to be a particularly special cymbal. It was the first Bosphorus I ever played, I believe, and fell in love with it but didn't have the cash at the time. A few years later, I bought one -- the most beautiful cymbal I've ever owned. Mine is now cracked though, sadly.

Dale

Dale

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationWashington State

I have a 22" vintage ride and a 20" SM Pang thang,,,I dig them,,,someday I will get a nice set of Bosphorus hats,,,,,,

john14

john14

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • Locationnorth of T0

I have a 21" Hammer Ride - beautiful!  Love the wobble!

Peter56

Peter56

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,192 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

I have a 19" MV ride and a 20" BP ride They`re perfect for my quieter gigs.

snurf

snurf

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationFinland
Bosphorus cymbals are not less popular. They become more elite. Few people only know how good they sound. Once you try, you want nothing else.

Did any of you Bosphorus owners, wandered to switch to other Turkish cymbal makers?

mc437

mc437

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationThetford Center, VT

Nice to read all of these comments and learn a little more about them. Makes me feel even better about the insanely low price I paid for these two cymbals. They really do sound great--I guess the consensus is that their marketing isn't the strongest, but brand loyalty is pretty strong.

Dale

Dale

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Nice to read all of these comments and learn a little more about them. Makes me feel even better about the insanely low price I paid for these two cymbals. They really do sound great--I guess the consensus is that their marketing isn't the strongest, but brand loyalty is pretty strong.

Glad you got them mc,,,they are just as good as anything out in the marketplace. 

Edited by Dale, 15 March 2015 - 04:47 PM.

slinginit

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...

• Members
  • 2,323 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

I really appreciate the info, Zenstat!!

dimag333

dimag333

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,782 posts