• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

rdumas

rdumas

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 567 posts
  • LocationNH, USA

I use a set of Bosphorus Gold hats, about 1100/1300. I like them but I occasionally switch out the top hat with my 14" turk crash and use the Gold top on the bottom...so effectively 700/1100, which I really like. I keep toying with getting a lighter set of hats. I have both New Orleans and Turks in my set and wondered if either of those series have a lighter set of hats.

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 12,200 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

I have both New Orleans and Turks in my set and wondered if either of those series have a lighter set of hats.

Most NO and Turk hats are on the lighter side. That's why I had to special order them in medium weights. Cymbalsonly.com lists a set of NO 14" hats at 846/918g and a set of Master Vintage 14" hats (like Turks) at 757/866g.

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 12,200 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Here is a heavier Bosphorus ride at what I think is a very good price: http://www.ebay.com/...CcAAOSwXYtYzWyP

Not mine.

k_50

k_50

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

My favourite crash is a thin (1550-ish grams)19" Bos Antique Series Original ride. Unfortunately I've managed to crack it 3 times (of course the only cymbal I've ever cracked is one of the best ever ;( ), but even with the repairs it still sounds great, just a bit drier and trashier than before. It also works very well as a LSR with a couple of rivets.

IMG_0279_zpsqgzwdlnr.jpg

dogmanaut

dogmanaut

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • LocationUSA

I use a set of Bosphorus Gold hats, about 1100/1300. I like them but I occasionally switch out the top hat with my 14" turk crash and use the Gold top on the bottom...so effectively 700/1100, which I really like. I keep toying with getting a lighter set of hats. I have both New Orleans and Turks in my set and wondered if either of those series have a lighter set of hats.

Oh hey, that was me that sold you that Turk crash, btw!

This has been covered before in this thread, I think, so pardon me if I'm just repeating something that's common knowledge, but except for a few of the lines like the Masters, Master Vintages, etc., I think Bosphorus always (?) categorizes its hats as dark, crisp, or bright, which doesn't necessarily have to do with sound but weight -- dark = light, crisp = medium, bright = heavy (relatively speaking).

I've got an extra set of bright Turks, at the moment. Those are heavier than what you're looking for, I'll bet, but just for reference, they're about 1000/1200. If you grabbed a set of dark Turks, they should be nice and light. Oh, and a big thumbs up to anything and everything in the New Orleans Series. Those are incredible cymbals. 

rdumas

rdumas

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 567 posts
  • LocationNH, USA

Oh hey, that was me that sold you that Turk crash, btw!

This has been covered before in this thread, I think, so pardon me if I'm just repeating something that's common knowledge, but except for a few of the lines like the Masters, Master Vintages, etc., I think Bosphorus always (?) categorizes its hats as dark, crisp, or bright, which doesn't necessarily have to do with sound but weight -- dark = light, crisp = medium, bright = heavy (relatively speaking).

I've got an extra set of bright Turks, at the moment. Those are heavier than what you're looking for, I'll bet, but just for reference, they're about 1000/1200. If you grabbed a set of dark Turks, they should be nice and light. Oh, and a big thumbs up to anything and everything in the New Orleans Series. Those are incredible cymbals. 

Ha, yes I had forgotten I got that from you. Agreed about the New Orleans series....I feel the same about the Samba series as well.

slinginit

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...

• Members
  • 2,248 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA
Still gunning for an 18" antique thin or med thin crash to complete my jazz set.

MWW

MWW

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Locationvirginia

Have had BOS for many years, just after the "Hammer series" first appeared. Love the Hammer, >Masters,>traditional,> SMoore.  Recently went back to a Hammer set up in place of the Keropes.(very different).  Keep um if you got um.

Hammer: 22,(one with one without rivets),20, 14 HH, and a china 

Master "24" ( 23+ actually),22, 21, 20, 18 ;  Master Vintage 22

S Moore: 22,20, 14 HH

Traditional: 22,21,20,18

Gcort49

Gcort49

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • LocationUSA

Played Bosphorus for years. Drifted to Paiste. I just don' feel Bosphorus has made any advances with new offerings. When you look at what other cymbal companies are doing; new products every year, Bosphorus seems stagnant.

That is not to say, their current lineup is no good, they make great cymbals...just seems like 'old stuff'to me. Boring, actually.

Edited by Gcort49, 18 April 2017 - 06:59 PM.

SKINZ

SKINZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationEAST ATL
YES have Bosphorus a few early ones when Brian Kaye was rep in Atlanta

21 Masters Ride
20 Original Ride
20 Traditional thin crash with 2 rivets
20 Traditional China

Mix them with Ks, Paist Sound Creations, 602s, 2002s, a Rude.......

Edited by SKINZ, 19 April 2017 - 12:23 PM.

clowndog

clowndog

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationS.F. Bay Area California
Black Pearl is progressive and anything but boring imo!

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 12,200 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Played Bosphorus for years. Drifted to Paiste. I just don' feel Bosphorus has made any advances with new offerings. When you look at what other cymbal companies are doing; new products every year, Bosphorus seems stagnant.

That is not to say, their current lineup is no good, they make great cymbals...just seems like 'old stuff'to me. Boring, actually.

It's all in what you like. I just tried a traditional series crash from an Amazon deal and didn't like it because it was too thin. But every other Bos cymbal I've played, I've liked. I have several. Especially the rides!

studrum

studrum

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,477 posts

How do you get/track those "great Amazon deals," which do seem pretty amazing as you guys report?

dogmanaut

dogmanaut

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • LocationUSA

How do you get/track those "great Amazon deals," which do seem pretty amazing as you guys report?

The Bosphorus deals mostly dried up a while back. There's a thread dedicated to Amazon deals under General, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users