• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Practicepad

Practicepad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationToronto

I'm wondering if some of you wiser folks on the forum can point me towards the must hear albums that feature drummers using brushes.

Thanks.

phillyjoe1205

phillyjoe1205

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationBoston

i assume you're speaking in the jazz idiom?

Practicepad

Practicepad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationToronto

i assume you're speaking in the jazz idiom?

Oh yes, sorry. I should have been more clear. I'm interested in jazz albums.

mtarrani

mtarrani

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 7,956 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL

Instead or me giving a list of specific albums I am going to point you to a broader list of artists and ensembes who had some amazing brushmasters:

Any:

Ahmad Jamal album with Vernel Fournier (mid to late 1950s like Live at the Pershing)

Anita O'Day album with her in a small ensemble (John Poole on drums)

Oscar Peterson from 1958 on when he finally added a drummer (Ed Thigpen)

George Shearing circa late 1940s/early 1950s when he had Denzil Best on drums;

Those are a good starting point. I could go on and on, but too much information is worse than none at all. Start on Youtube searching for the artist and drummer in a combined search, note the album(s) the tracks are from, and go from there.  For O'Day here are two videos that feature Poole (one of my idols):

mtarrani

mtarrani

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 7,956 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL

What the heck:

Shearing and Best:

https://youtu.be/a4tG7929O3I

Peterson and Thigpen:

https://youtu.be/4TwQFI6k4ro

Ahmad Jamal and Fournier (note Papa Jo Jones and  Ben Webster in the background):

.... and

agogobil

agogobil

Drum Czardine

• Platinum
  • 7,015 posts
  • LocationStL

Antonio Carlos Jobim - Compact Jazz (Verve)

sort of a "greatest hits" compilation, including this gem (Paulo Braga, dr):

Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Oscar Peterson Trio with Ed Thigpen on drums: Affinity.

69OysterBlue

69OysterBlue

DFO Potentate

• Double Platinum
  • 3,470 posts
  • LocationNortheast OH

Joe Morello did some tasty brush work - check out Kathy's Waltz from the Brubeck "Time Out" album.

Also check out the Vince Guaraldi Trio doing "Skating" or "Linus and Lucy" - not the traditional brush patterns - more of a wash, but very complimentary to the music.

Probably my all time favorite brush example was what Philly Joe Jones did in the first third of the song "Ladybird"

Tons of good instructional stuff on DVD about brush play as well.

phillyjoe1205

phillyjoe1205

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationBoston

There's A LOT of stuff out there as MTARRANI said. I'd suggest finding a song or 2 that you like from some of the suggestions and research that drummer / band a bit more.

I personally really started to take notice to jazz when I heard the Ray Brown CD Some Of My Best Friends are...the Piano Players. Some real nice brush work on that CD (Lewis Nash on Drums):

John Coltrane Ballads (Elvin Jones): 

Practicepad

Practicepad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationToronto

Awesome stuff everyone, thanks.

RIDDIM

RIDDIM

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,964 posts
  • LocationMD

Check out Kenny Washington and Jeff Hamilton also.  And of course, Papa Jo Jones.

Polska

Polska

Advanced Forum Guru

• Silver
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY

I'm no brush expert but Jeff Hamilton's playing on Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" CD is fantastic (as is any of his playing). You can watch video's on YouTube of that concert too. 

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 8,327 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Instead or me giving a list of specific albums I am going to point you to a broader list of artists and ensembes who had some amazing brushmasters:

Any:

Ahmad Jamal album with Vernel Fournier (mid to late 1950s like Live at the Pershing)

Anita O'Day album with her in a small ensemble (John Poole on drums)

Oscar Peterson from 1958 on when he finally added a drummer (Ed Thigpen)

George Shearing circa late 1940s/early 1950s when he had Denzil Best on drums;

Those are a good starting point. I could go on and on, but too much information is worse than none at all. Start on Youtube searching for the artist and drummer in a combined search, note the album(s) the tracks are from, and go from there.  For O'Day here are two videos that feature Poole (one of my idols):

John Poole was a great drummer. And Anita---what can I say?

Practicepad

Practicepad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationToronto

I'm no brush expert but Jeff Hamilton's playing on Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" CD is fantastic (as is any of his playing). You can watch video's on YouTube of that concert too. 

I picked up this CD. There is some great drumming on it for sure.

phillyjoe1205

phillyjoe1205

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationBoston

Practicepad

Practicepad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationToronto

Awesome!

DrumGerry

DrumGerry

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

You'll hear nice brush work on jazz guitar albums (Wes Montgomery etc).  Also check out Paul Motian with Keith Jarrett.  In the late '80s I played a Jarrett album to a guitarist who'd been brought up on nothing but Metal and fusion.  I told him to listen to the artistry of Motian, in particular his brush playing, but to no avail.  He thought my album was scratched beyond belief...even though the album was on tape.  

Nina Simone's first album featuring My Baby Just Cares for Me.  Simple playing, but Tootie Heath's feel is magnificent.  For earlier brush styles, Louis Jordan is a must.  Difficult to hear the brushes sometimes, but the music is great (play it first thing in the morning...it's better than coffee for picking you up).

audiochurch

audiochurch

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
thank you all for posting! as soon as my infant gets rolling, literally, i plan on going back to studying brushes. i miss playing them amd need some more weapons of mass brush destruction. have a bunch of jazz trio gigs in summer! what a great incentive to evolve and learn more. thanks so much for these posts guys! i love this forum!!

nomsgmusic

nomsgmusic

Pro

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationNY-NJ

Steve Smith asked me to write the book that came with Hudson's The Art of Playing With Brushes DVD educational set. The book came as part hard copy, and part download from Hudson's website (which I think is free.) In that book, I created a detailed list of Essential Listening (both jazz and non-jazz) for both the drummers that were included in the set, and for many of the all time great brush players. I also detailed the close relationship between Tap Dancing and Brush playing, and some brush history.  

There is also some pretty great brush instruction from Adam Nussbaum, Steve Smith, Eddie Locke, Joe Morello, Ben Riley, Billy Hart, and Charli Persip on the DVD. Also included is a nice brush play-along with guitarist Vic Juris and bassist Jay Anderson. I am very proud of my work as a part of this educational package.

As a part of my playing in the Santana Tribute band Stone Flower, I get to play this brush groove a few times a week. At the end of "Samba Pa Ti" I go into a sort of a Gadd inspired brush Samba. It's nothing fancy, but it is one of my favorite grooves to play, especially when I start to add the quasi Surdo parts on the floor toms.

There are some other clips of me playing jazz brushes (in a musical context) on my youtube channel:

https://www.youtube....?view_as=public

MSG

Angel

Angel

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationMontana

Elvin Jones: New Breed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users