• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

I've had my DTX Multi-12 (Yamaha's 12-pad drum pad with sample-loading capabilities) for about a year, and have slowly learned to do some pretty neat stuff with it. Slowly because the menu-driven interface on the small LCD screen is not at all user-friendly, and the manual is much the same.

My birthday is tomorrow, so I have treated myself to an iPad 3 (got for $150 off CL with a nifty little keyboard/case combo), bought the i-UX1 USB to 30-pin interface, and downloaded the free Multi 12 Touch app for the iPad.

So far, I am VERY pleased with the results. Having a graphical user interface makes all the difference in the world, and has revealed to me things that I can do with the Multi-12 that I did not even know I could do!

Things it used to require half-an-hour of manual reading, internet searching and button-pushing I can now do in seconds. In the past, I would not even consider making adjustments in the midst of a band rehearsal, but now it is no sweat. The learning curve is very quick, and I am looking forward to doing all manner of things with my Multi-12 now that time and patience just would not allow in the past.

I don't know if any other pads with the ability to load samples have this kind of GUI option, but I think that the basic capabilities of the Multi-12 when supported by the Touch app put the Multi-12 in a class by itself.

Edited by Stickinthemud, 09 September 2015 - 02:54 PM.

LowDownHawkeye

LowDownHawkeye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee, USA
Do you have your multi 12 integrated into a larger electronic kit? If so, how?

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

No, but if I were to do so, I could see several ways, depending on your sound arrangement:

1. Run the headphone signal out to your main module Aux In. Some modules have a stereo input, others mono, so a stereo-to-mono adapter may be required. Volume would then be controlled at the main module.

2. Run a mono signal from the left out to your sound board, or run left and right channels from the left and right outputs to the sound board. Volume, EQ, and such could then be controlled from the sound board.

3. Take a MIDI out to the main module and trigger samples resident there. Complicated.

4. Take  a MIDI out to a laptop and trigger samples via a VST program. Also Complicated.

5. Use the i-UX1 out to an iPad to trigger samples via a VST program there. I think you can do this with Garage Band. I'm not 100% certain on this, but I have heard others say it can be done.

If you have limited inputs at your board, option 1 is a workable solution.

If you have a good-sized main board and someone to run it - option 2 is the best. Cleanest signal, ability to EQ the Multi-12 separately, and you don't have to worry about the volume settings. BTW, if the sound guy goes to sleep and you have to adjust volume, you can still do so from the Multi-12 via the volume knob on the control panel.

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

The Mutli-Touch app does look very promising.  I had a chance to launch it and look it over today, but the cable I'm using seems incompatible for connecting the M12 to my iPad mini 3 which uses a lightning connector.  I bought a USB A to B adapter to change the lightning cable's usb A end to B (which the Yamaha uses) and plugged the respective ends into each device, but no control from the iPad was established, nor did the "connect" icon ever light up in the app.  

With no advance indication that an interface cable was required to connect the devices when I downloaded the app, I wasn't aware until finding the app's manual (within the app!) that the IUX-1 (usb) or IMX-1 (midi) seem to be the only ways to achieve connection.  However, it appears that the lightning connection needs to be adapted to 30 pin female so the IUX-1 can be plugged into it... and once all that is done, I have no guarantee that this clumsy jerry rig of connectors will work.  At least the IUX-1 has a usb B end so I don't need an adapter, but now I have a useless adapter...  

Anyway, I'm mildly frustrated that Yamaha didn't explain much sooner in the process, what all was needed to connect the DTX-12 to an iPad.  I can tell from reading the manual and paging through the app that it will completely open up the M12 and make it about 1000x more user friendly.

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

I was able to find which adapter worked with which iPad that Yamaha's web page for the app, although I must say I had to dig a bit. It's at this page on the "Specs" tab.

Since I didn't already have an iPad, I had the advantage of choosing an iPad that would work with the iUX-1 without the need for an adapter and run iOS 7.1 or higher without performance issues; specifically the iPad 3.

To be honest, I almost decided it wasn't worth the hassle, since so many people reported laggy behavior with the iPad 3 running 7.1 and 7.4. Apparently they got things sorted out with the latest OS, because mine is running fine.

The lightning connector has been out for a while. You would think Yamaha would have gotten around to making an iUX-1L by now, so I can certainly understand your frustration.

Edited by Stickinthemud, 13 September 2015 - 12:36 PM.

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Yamaha has a thing for layered menu pages!!  Even their website is almost like changing parameters on an SPX-90.  Ok, well maybe not that bad.  Worse, actually.

Between my post above and now, I ordered a 3rd party lightning to 30 pin female adapter that should be here today, along with the IUX-1.  If it doesn't work, I'll probably return the iPad mini for a 30 pin iPad.  Hey, at least I can get a bigger screen than the mini. 

Since many M12 users will want to use Mutli-Touch, Yamaha really should list that info prominently where the app can be downloaded and in the user manual that comes with M12.  I might even send them an email. 

Edited by Cauldronics, 13 September 2015 - 01:22 PM.

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Yamaha has a thing for layered menu pages!!  Even their website is almost like changing parameters on an SPX-90.  Ok, well maybe not that bad.  Worse, actually.

LOL. So true.

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

One more failed attempt with the aforementioned non-Apple adapter and I headed to the nearest Apple store to pick up what should be the legitimate piece.  It worked, but now I question whether the protective case that I bought for my iPad hindered my initial attempts with the first adapter.  If it turns out that way, I can save about 32 bucks by returning the Apple piece.  40 bucks is a lot of coin for an adapter.  The case prevented fully plugging the lightning end into the socket, even though it felt like it was plugged in.  

As mentioned earlier, the M12 Touch app is a joy to use and beats the hell out of paging through buttons and submenus on the DTX's tiny screen.  It saves a great deal of time and head scratching.  Within 10 minutes, I'd setup and stored a custom kit.  I auditioned the large selection of sampled analog cymbals and found many that sounded great, and that I'd be likely to use.  The rides are particularly good.  In due time, I'm going to sample my kits and take pics of each drum for the M12 Touch database.  

The DTX's capabilities and possibilities with the app, manual and a little imagination are vast.  Perhaps more than with any other drum machine.

Great work, Yamaha! 

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

4. Take  a MIDI out to a laptop and trigger samples via a VST program. Also Complicated.

5. Use the i-UX1 out to an iPad to trigger samples via a VST program there. I think you can do this with Garage Band. I'm not 100% certain on this, but I have heard others say it can be done.

I was working on no. 4 before getting the app, and I haven't tried since but it should be easier than without the app.  Because the midi map matched some of the pad midi note designations, I was able trigger a somewhat haphazardly routed VST kit from my DAW through the M12.  For whatever reason, Yamaha didn't use a conventional midi map for the M12, so finding the right map is part chance and part detective work.  

A hybrid use of no. 5 is another goal for me.  I'd like to trigger sounds from my iPad and have the iPad act as a touchscreen and monitor for my Mac mini.  There's an app for that last part, though I don't know that the M12 app can be running at the same time.  It will be interesting (to me, at least) to find out.  This way I could have access to higher quality sounds and more of them than I'd ever be likely to use (is that good? lol), and trigger loops, sequences, or even multitrack sessions from the DAW.  Although complicated, this would allow for a lot of possibilities in a live situation.   

Paradiddlebob

Paradiddlebob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKanata, Ontario, Canada

No matter what I do I do not get a Connect light. Is that how you know it's working? I have a camera connection kit, USB A to B, 4th gen. iPad running the latest iOS for that model (9. something)

Edited by Paradiddlebob, 09 March 2017 - 08:06 PM.

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

This from the Yamaha Multi-12 Touch information page:

Connecting instruments with iPads. The i-MX1 and i-UX1 can be used to connect to the DTX-MULTI12. When connecting to an iPad (4th generation), iPad Air,iPad Air2, iPad mini, or iPad mini retina, please use a Lightning-30 pin adapter from Apple with the i-MX1 or i-UX1. Use a Stereo Cable (mini Stereo - standard stereo) to connect an iPad (headphone jack) to the DTX-MULTI12 (AUX IN jack). *Not necessary when not using the App Wave function. Connecting instruments with iPads. The i-MX1 and i-UX1 can be used to connect to the DTX-MULTI12. When connecting to an iPad (4th generation), iPad Air,iPad Air2, iPad mini, or iPad mini retina, please use a Lightning-30 pin adapter from Apple with the i-MX1 or i-UX1. Use a Stereo Cable (mini Stereo - standard stereo) to connect an iPad (headphone jack) to the DTX-MULTI12 (AUX IN jack). *Not necessary when not using the App Wave function.

Edited by Stickinthemud, 09 March 2017 - 09:52 PM.

drumrman2002

drumrman2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationIndiana

On of the best reasons I can give for doing away with stand-alone drum modules is that I can't stand scrolling through myriads of menus and screens. I switched over to using a laptop and Addictive Drums 2 software. The GUI is really easy to work with, and you can make changes and logically understand what changes you made without getting lost in a maze of LED menus. If that makes sense to you. Electronic drum technology is wonderful(and getting better all the time), but some of the modules, past and present, is not what I call user friendly. Not at all.

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

...and there's really no excuse for it (non-user-friendly interfaces). Yamaha has shown that by using good old MIDI, one can create a robust WYSIWYG interface using the now-ubiquitous iPad. Why Roland (and every other manufacturer of electronic drumming equipment for that matter) has not jumped on this bandwagon is a mystery to me. 

Schollert

Schollert

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHokksund, Norway

Hi! New to the board - and to iPads! (Believe it or not...)

I recently acquired and iPad Air 2 with the intent of connecting it to the M12. I have the Lightning-to-Camera adapter and a USB-to-USBa cable. However - the app will not connect.

I read the specs etc. and saw the same thing mentioned above:When connecting to an iPad (4th generation), iPad Air,iPad Air2, iPad mini, or iPad mini retina, please use a Lightning-30 pin adapter from Apple with the i-MX1 or i-UX1.

So - as this iPad stuff is all new to me I just would like to get feedback from those of you who have tried this:

1. Is it true the setup I have with the camera adapter will not work in the Air 2 (given the spec outline)?
  2. Will I have to get the lightening-30 pin adapter (I believe it is called MD824) and then the Yamaha iUX1 cable to get it to work?

I greatly appreciate your feedback as this is a bit frustrating to an iPad novice...

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
Yes, I had to get iPad adapter and the Yamaha adapter. The app and M12 will be able to communicate when both are plugged in.

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
One more thing to add: if the M12 Touch app didn't exist, I probably would've sold the M12 by now. The app allows almost 100% access to every feature in the very, very versatile module that the M12 can be.

musiqman

musiqman

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam, The Netherlands
I used the official Apple lightning to USB adapter (and a regular usb cable) and it worked like a charm without editing.

Although I still find the SX working quicker and easier, the sounds of the 12 are the best out there.

Edited by musiqman, 17 April 2017 - 02:19 PM.

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Glad the adapter setup is working.

The percussion sounds on the M12 are the best I've heard from just about any electronic setup, and about half the kits are decent, which is why I trigger kits from a computer.  Gotta love the 5 trigger connections and using it as a MIDI controller!  And the pads are about the best in terms of sensitivity and performance...   

Paradiddlebob

Paradiddlebob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKanata, Ontario, Canada

I use the Multi12 with my duo. I've discovered that the snare trigger is way too finicky-snare hits go missing but the hi-hat never does, even though I wander around the hi-hat pad pad.

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Explain your setup a little more and I'd be willing to troubleshoot.  There could be one or more of many reasons why snare hits aren't being picked up.  I'll guess your using the M12 for snare and an external hi hat pad.

Edited by Cauldronics, 21 June 2017 - 06:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users