• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ChicoMess21

ChicoMess21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationClifton, New Jersey

I know Charlie Watts' go to china is an 18 inch UFIP Natural Series Fast China. I'm looking for a china that sounds closest to his but I do not want to buy his exact UFIP because $350+ price tag. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a china that I will use as a crash and could possibly crack. What other brands/models sound similar to the 18 UFIP Natural Series Fast China? 

Thanks!

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,007 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
Look for one of the discontinued Paiste Dimensions thin China's. I had a 16" that sounded remarkably like Charlie's. I ended up selling it to a drummer friend that plays in a Rolling Stones Tribute band.

kluger

kluger

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • Locationpittsburgh
I have a 14" Sabian aax mini China, everytime I hit it I think it sounds just like Charlie Watts'. Picked it up for $20.

Christian C.

Christian C.

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Paiste Innovations 18" Medium China

equipmentdork

equipmentdork

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,201 posts
  • LocationNJ

Try the UFIP Tiger Series 18" China. Nowhere near the price of the other UFIP. It's a good sound, not like "OK, I have a China now, whoop de doo" and you forget about it over by your ride or other crashes.  I also think the Tiger finish is darned cool.

Dan

Edited by equipmentdork, 09 October 2015 - 01:52 PM.

twigdrum

twigdrum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationGreenfield, Massachusetts

The Natural Series are worth every penny.. The material is unique to his sound and actually if you hit similar to him, (which can be pretty hard at times) they are not easily broken.. But if your still not willing or able to pay that much then yes the Tiger series are decent. Try them out in person and look for a higher pitch. They become darker with little age. 

charlesm

charlesm

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationNY-metro

Opinions on Wuhan are all over the map, but I have an 18 that sounds pretty Charlie-like.

One of the secrets to that sound, I think, is to mount the cymbal bell-up (or right side up). You will get a lot more sustain and trashy wash that way. I'm preferring chinas more and more that way. They don't have to be set up upside-down, after all.

Demo attached for reference.

Attached Files

Edited by charlesm, 11 October 2015 - 10:10 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cymbals, Charlie Watts, Chinas, New

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users