tempo pushing/pulling

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

michaelg

michaelg

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationIreland

Looking for tips on how to remain relaxed when other band members are rushing tempo.

One guy i play with always seems to be pushing ahead of me with his rhythm guitar and it drives me crazy after a while,  I have a habit of tensing up in my hands and legs and end up playing harder and more forcefully to lay down the tempo.

Is there something i can practice to help me be less affected by swaying tempos of other band members ?

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,718 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Like stickchopper said. You can manage the tempo by looking for places where you can pull it back. Come the end of the day, it's more important the band play together than play in perfect tempo. You may want to suggest rehearsing to a click so your offending bandmates can hear where they are rushing.

Blackdog

Blackdog

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationAustralia

When you get the hand signal from the bass player to slow down, at the exact same time you the hand signal from the guitarist to speed up.. you've found nirvana, vindication and a smug grin.

wolfereeno

wolfereeno

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNew York

Practice to a metronome when rehearsing with the band,  Then start to make them aware of it.  

Morello Man

Morello Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationLancaster, California
Joe Morello said there's one way: play on the beat...ahead you're rushing, behind you're dragging. Sounds like your bandmates are not very good, frankly, if they can't play in tempo and end up either blaming you or playing with your head.

nanashi

nanashi

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,078 posts

Joe Morello said there's one way: play on the beat...ahead you're rushing, behind you're dragging. Sounds like your bandmates are not very good, frankly, if they can't play in tempo and end up either blaming you or playing with your head.

Its not about playing on, on top of or behind the beat. The trick is to keep it steady where ever you place it.

RIDDIM

RIDDIM

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationMD

Rehearse the band with a click.  If need be, mic it.   

I do that with one of my projects if time questions arise.  It works well, although we are generally able to play low enough that a mic is not needed.  It's gratifying when we all start and end at the same time.  it also makes clear, in real time, who is and is not warping time.

Edited by RIDDIM, 17 February 2017 - 02:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users