- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,350 posts

The back-story: Over the course of 2015, I have made it pretty clear to DFO that I am a big fan of Oriollo drums and the products that Vukan and his team are putting out. Having played so many drums, finding affordable options that outperform their price range is something I take note of. The two seamless aluminum drums I have from Oriollo are incredible drums that have laid to waste the other aluminum drums I have played or owned. I used the past tense because I sold them all once I got the phantom. 

I talk with Vukan here and there, and we have talked a good bit about the different metals he has been able to spin. I'm still holding out for a brass, but a copper Oriollo was another drum that was very high up on my have to have list. 

Once he told me about the Bakar, his seamless copper he was developing, I knew I needed to add it to the phantoms I already had. 

Arrival/Unboxing:  Nothing new here. These drums are always packed really well. This drum came to me with a coated Evans G2 on it and standard snares. It was ready to play right out of the box. 

How it's made: The same process that can be seen in Oriollo's how it's made video is used on this drum and it yields a very structurally sound and well made drum.  My Bakar is different because it doesn't have a center bead like my Phantoms, but rather two beads towards the bottom of the shell. The copper finish is a waxed brushed copper. The drum has already begun to patina a bit, and I expect this to continue with time naturally...which should look awesome. This drum uses standard triple flange hoops and standard Gibraltar strainer with Oriollo's proprietary lug design. Vukan has told me that a proprietary strainer is in the works so that will be a cool addition. 

The Sound: This drum kills. Just plain and simple. It is dark and thick with a prominent low end and mid range...yet it somehow it manages to retain all the sensitivity and high end sparkle I've come to expect from the Oriollo drums. It's also very explosive with a crisp attack. The result is a drum that's very balanced across the spectrum and is versatile and can really excel in any situation.  I am a firm believer that almost any drum can sound decent, but some drums are special, and this drum is very special. At all four tunings I used it at in the demo, I felt like the drum gave me a very useable and desirable sound. That is rare. I also like how the natural pitch of the drum sits lower even at higher batter tensions. This is an attribute that I think makes it excel in the studio as we often are looking for very thick sounds. I love my phantoms, but this drum might just have dethroned them from my stand...at least for awhile. :)

Summing it up: The way I see it, Oriollo drums really has become a formidable contender in the snare drum department. Their drums outperform their competitors that cost significantly more time and time again. What's more is they offer affordable seamless options in many different metals, and will continue to add new metals and designs, so there really is a flavor for any need...but in regards to the Bakar it is an extremely balanced and versatile drum that really hits my targets tone wise, and I have no doubt it will become my go to snare. 

Check it out in this video and let your ears decide. :)

Attached Files

Edited by JCKLudwig, 07 December 2015 - 11:11 AM.

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 4,094 posts
  • LocationThe Keystone State

Love the sound but the twin beads, not so much.

Purely aesthetic on my part. Form follows function.

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,350 posts

Love the sound but the twin beads, not so much.
Purely aesthetic on my part. Form follows function.

Pretty sure Vukan could probably put the beads wherever someone wanted just based off what he had said in other threads. I don't think the bead design is a structural necessity for this specific drum but I could be wrong. :)

Mendozart

Mendozart

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
I love the sound of copper, this one is a winner!

bconrad

bconrad

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 950 posts
  • LocationReno, Nev.

Fantastic review and video. Thanks for posting.

poppies77

poppies77

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Sounds sooooo good. Oriollo continues to dominate.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 18,751 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Great work once again Josh! Love the sound of the Vista's!

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,350 posts

Fantastic review and video. Thanks for posting.

Thank you!

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,350 posts

Great work once again Josh! Love the sound of the Vista's!

Thanks Dan! I love the way the vistas record. Great drums

bleen

bleen

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Killer! The "ultra-low" sounds like how I left it when I shipped it. It's really fun to play in that range, probably moreso because I never have a drum tuned that low.

Really excellent job on the vid!

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,350 posts

Killer! The "ultra-low" sounds like how I left it when I shipped it. It's really fun to play in that range, probably moreso because I never have a drum tuned that low.

Really excellent job on the vid!

It's amazing how low and chunky it can get. I love it. :)

oriollo

oriollo

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Getting lots of questions re: hoops. It comes with both triple flange hoops by default, as stated in the specs the page

repete

repete

This one goes to eleven

• Members
  • 3,648 posts
  • Locationsouth florida
Could someone explain bead vs no bead vs two beads in different locations?

oriollo

oriollo

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSerbia

On some shells it's a necessity. Like on Phantoms, such thin aluminum just needs reinforcement.

On some other shells, it's more of a visual thing.

shuffle

shuffle

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,741 posts
  • LocationReno/Tahoe
Love copper!
Is it affordable?

oriollo

oriollo

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSerbia

clicky clicky - near the bottom of the page.

Drum Gear Review

Drum Gear Review

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Holy crap. Incredible stuff from both Josh and Vukan. You guys are the best. 

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,350 posts

Holy crap. Incredible stuff from both Josh and Vukan. You guys are the best.

Thanks so much! It helps when you have a nice drum that sounds so good. 😄

Sinclair

Sinclair

• Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Wow... that's one beautiful snare drum and an amazing demo. Vukan and Oriollo have another classic.

xsabers

xsabers

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,358 posts

Thanks, JCKOriollo!  

I like the way the beads make it look and it leaves a nice canvas for the badge.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users