Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Keith Richards: Charlie Watts Keeps Stones Grounded

charlie_watts-4515768.jpg?w=265&h=354

Vic Garbarini: [How] does a band like the Stones...keep grounded?

Keith Richards: Maybe the answer is in the nature of the band itself.., that each person in the band in some way grounds the others. If there's anything that's stopped us from blowing our loudspeakers, it's probably each other....

VG: I would imagine that Charlie and Bill [Wyman] are a key element in that anchoring mechanism.

KR: Yeah, in that they're both incredibly down-to-earth sort of people. Charlie, after twenty years, still can't stand the thought of having to do even the slightest thing that strikes a false note, like smiling at somebody if you don't want to. He'd rather give them a scowl, so at least it's honest. Bill and Charlie are very similar in that they keep you grounded because you can't really be around people like them and strike any false notes musically or personally, because you'll instantly get locked out of the room. I imagine that if we'd had a couple of totally different guys in their places, we could have collapsed in a very short time.

Source: Keith Richards: The Heart of the Stones, by Vic Garbarini, Musician December 1983.

Photo Credit of Charlie Watts

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Tilter

Tilter

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,320 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire
Charlie Watts is pure class. He always seems to be even-keeled with a good head on his shoulders, letting his love for music guide the way. He's one of a handful of drummers that if given the opportunity, I think I'd truly enjoy chatting with.

drummerbill

drummerbill

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationNY-NJ Tri-state Area

Scott, thanks for sharing this weeks, love of Charlie post / link !   ;-)

Gotta love CW !!   ;-)

Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

My pleasure. Thank you.

Best,

skf

psalty

psalty

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 962 posts

In another place, Keith claimed it was Stu (Ian Stewart) that held the band together.

prplx

prplx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationMontreal

In another place, Keith claimed it was Stu (Ian Stewart) that held the band together.

To be honest, the above quote read to me:

Vic: How dod you guys keep grounded?

Ketih: We keep each other in check.

Vic: Yea, but it's Charlie and Bill, yes?

Keith: I guess so.

Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

prplx -

Really? Interesting. I don't get that impression of Keith's remarks about Watts/Wyman at all.

Best,

skf

prplx

prplx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Scott, I am only saying this because Keith  didn't mentionned Charlie in the first place.  The journalists didn't get the answer he expected ans stired him in that direction.  That being said what Richards say about Charlie is really nice, he sound like such a great guy!

Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

prplx - I agree with your point about Vic Garbarini's follow up question. 

Best,

skf

Trev

Trev

Advanced Snr. Member

• Double Platinum
  • 763 posts
  • LocationSydney, Orstray-ya
This is probably a bit off topic, but don't you reckon Charlie would make a great Doctor Who?

A J

A J

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationRockford, Michigan

I'm a big Charlie Watts fan, the the article is 33 years old.  In the world of Rock music, this is ancient history.  

kip

kip

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,224 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh Pa USA

my favorite Charile story is the  Mick Jagger "where's my drummer?" call in the middle of the night, then Charlie comes down 20 min later, dressed, shaved, punches Mick in the face and says "don't ever call me YOUR drummer again! YOU'RE MY F%$^NG SINGER!

On the one

On the one

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationWay out west
Charlie does seem grounded. I'm not sure but I never heard his name dragged in the mud like some of his other band mates.

drummerjohn333

drummerjohn333

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Frankly I am not a CW fan. I have respect for him, but don't quite get it when people list him as a fav. Last year I did several gigs with a 61 yr old front man who I have a tremendous respect for. (At 44 I am considered the youngin 'round these cats) He told me that his favorite drummers are Mick Fleetwood and Charlie Watts. 

I was thinking about it today....where the silence in between the notes are composed just as much as the notes played. When you want silence and somebody is stepping all over your composed silence I can see how it would be a major turn-off. After playing with him (and a veteran bass player who toured with Tina Turner) and developing a stronger awareness of this, I can appreciate CW more. Not only is he cited as someone who stays out of the way of the other players, he has a reputation of being rock solid in his meter. 

my favorite Charile story is the  Mick Jagger "where's my drummer?" call in the middle of the night, then Charlie comes down 20 min later, dressed, shaved, punches Mick in the face and says "don't ever call me YOUR drummer again! YOU'RE MY F%$^NG SINGER!

THAT is some balls. He obviously sees his role in the band as central with his hands on the wheel. Bold, Healthy.

Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

This is the idea: play no more drums than is absolutely necessary. Steve Gadd does it in this song -- which remains one of my favorite Steve Gadd tracks.

Best, skf

sonusseeker

sonusseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

This is probably a bit off topic, but don't you reckon Charlie would make a great Doctor Who?

...in his younger days, more like javier bardem or eric burdon, imho...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Charlie Watts, Scott K Fish, SKF Blog, Life Beyond the Cymbals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users