• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 12,197 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Gentlemen and ladies, would you take a moment to introduce yourselves? If you wouldn't mind posting here with some or all of the following, it would be welcome. This way members can ask you specifically if they want to know more about the projects you are involved in or an experience you have had.

Suggested info:

Your name

How long you've been playing professionally

Any particular styles, interests, or proficiencies for which you are especially known

Your location/home base for playing or recording

Some of your past projects - records or live

Product endorsements (if applicable)

THANK YOU ALL!!!

BillyGoodness

BillyGoodness

Pro

• Platinum
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Well, my name is Billy Goodness. But I bet you already figured that part out (-;

Rather than typing a ton of info here, if anyone wants to know some of my details (as listed in lossforgain's post above), you can probably find it on my website (www.billygoodness.net).

If there's anything anyone wants to know, that's not on my site, please feel free to ask.

I've been a DFO member since the beginning (Aug. 2005 I think). And before that I was a member of the old Drum Center Forum.

I endorse Drum Workshop drums and hardware, Evans heads, Sabian cymbals, Vater sticks, KAT electronics, and the tune-bot from Overtone Labs.

Thanks!

Billy G.

Edited by BillyGoodness, 28 March 2016 - 03:26 PM.

Trey Gray

Trey Gray

Pro

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationColumbia,TN.

Hello guys and gals. My name is Trey Gray and apparently I'm a pro...

Originally from northern IN and moved to Nashville in 1989.

Scored one of my first "road" gigs in Feb. of 1994 with Faith Hill and continued with her through the 2000 Soul II Soul tour.

2001-2003 I toured with Jewel.

2003-current still performing with Brooks and Dunn, and Ronnie Dunn. Did the first run of Reba and Brooks and Dunn shows in Vegas last summer.

I'm back and forth now between Nashville and South Bend, IN. Both places have studios where I continue to record and produce.

Products I use...Vic Firth sticks and headphones, Sakae Drums, Aquarian Heads, Dream Cymbals...

cheers and blessings, Trey

prplx

prplx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationMontreal

What's a pro ? ( this gets interesting )

It is a good quesiton.  To me, it is someone making a living out of playing live music and/or doing studio session.  You can supplement it with some teaching, but if most of your income comes from teaching,t hen you are a music teacher, not a professional musician.  Wait... That would mean that someone like Mike Johnston isn't a professional drummer?  I am confused....

Tinman

Tinman

Lincoln Highway Drummer

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

I consider myself a professional musician and entertainer, because it is the only job I have, but I am not a "PRO" in the way many would consider.

I have toured, done studio work, and been on a few recordings.

So, pro or no, I still enjoy being a drummer and lead/harmony vocalist in my band.

Sinclair

Sinclair

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

It is a good question.  To me, it is someone making a living out of playing live music and/or doing studio session.  

You call this a living...?

Edited by Sinclair, 05 April 2016 - 03:38 AM.

Frank The Pro

Frank The Pro

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAjax, Ontario, Canada
I'm a Golf Professional...does that count?!?!?!

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Location28027
Oh boy. This could be as good as the "what I've learned thread".

Cartermclean

Cartermclean

Pro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCT

Carter McLean

Playing for 25 years

I play for The Lion King NYC

Live in CT

I endorse George Way/Dunnett drums, Istanbul Agop, Vic Firth, REMO, DW hardware & Earthworks mics.

Keep your eyes out for Four Hands Drumming coming soon.  Online monthly subscription educational site with myself and Matt Johnson from (Jeff Buckley, St Vincent, Rufus Wainwright)

Cheers Yall

Carter

drawtheline55

drawtheline55

Owner/admin

• Administrators
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationBoston

Thanks to the pros for chiming in, after seeing some of the online videos......2 words come to mind...must practice ....alot...ok more than 2

Great stuff.

Ben

repete

repete

This one goes to eleven

• Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

By Jeremy's post, these people were obviously asked to step forward and make themselves available to us.

If you weren't one of them or maybe you feel like you should be, how about dropping Jeremy or another MOD

a PM instead....of course there are a lot of "pros" here but lets show some respect to these few who could've said

"no thanks" 

Is Mike Johnston even a member on here?

tillerva

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p

• Members
  • 4,005 posts
+1 repete. Thanks to the Ask a Pro Pros!

nomsgmusic

nomsgmusic

Pro

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationNY-NJ

This could sound like an AA meeting soon...

Hello my name is... and I am a professional musician...

Anyway....

Mark Griffith, professional musician (who happens to play the drums.) 

I live in Northern NJ-NYC metro, I was "musically" raised right outside of Philly, and  I just finished the 20th year of my career.

Gigs include(d) international, domestic and regional touring; and recordings with:

Jazz- Trumpeters Ted Curson, John Swana, Jack Walrath, Matthew Stewart of Streetlight Manifesto;  Guitarists David Gilmore, Eric Johnson, Kevin Eubanks; Saxophonists Rene McLean, Steve Wilson, Bob Ackerman, Joe Lovano, Gary Thomas; Trombonists Grachan Moncur III, Frank Lacy; Bassists Gerald Veasley, Rufus Reid, Mike Richmond, Calvin Hill, Gary Mazzaropi, Kenny Davis, Duane Burno; Singers Etta Jones, Pam Purvis, Sarah James; Organists Charles Earland, Jack McDuff, Bill Jolly; Pianists John DiMartino, John Hicks, Betty Liste......  

Rock, Funk, Blues, Singer Songwriter: Dave Gardner, Tom Giliam, Kate Vereau, Bobby Rydell,  Hubert Sumlin, Bands: Magic Red and the Voodoo Tribe, Vampires of Vaudeville, Moose and the Bulletproof Blues Band, Stone Flower, Fast Clare...

Recordings: Mark Griffith "Drumatic," Kate Vereau "Into Midnight," Dave Gardner "Feel This Way," Bob Ackerman "A La Mode," "And Now I Can See The Crows Mating In The Mist," Vampires of Vaudeville "S/T," Magic Red "Fire and Soul," "87 Humboldt Street."

DVD: Steve Smith asked me to write the accompanying books for his DVD's: "Jazz Legacy: Standing On The Shoulders of Greatness," and "The Sound of Playing with Brushes" with Adam Nussbaum, Steve Smith, Joe Morello, Charlie Persip, Billy Hart, Eddie Locke, Ben Riley.

My writings have appeared in: Modern Drummer, Percussive Notes, Batteur, UK's Rhythm! Stick It! And I have written CD liner notes for well know drummers including Steve Smith, Vince Ector, and Yoron Israel.

Endorsements: Paiste, Vic Firth, Remo. 

Links: 

http://bluejayrecord...atic/index.html

https://www.youtube....nomsgmusic/feed

Career Advice? In the words of the GREAT professional musician David Baker:

· Keep music central to your life; 

· Never stop practicing; 
· Listen closely not only to the music, but to the people around you; 
· Focus on the big picture; 
· Be inclusive and generous of spirit; 
· Proclaim your passions; 
· Devotedly pass your knowledge on to the next generations; 
· Readily offer encouragement; 
· Maintain a sense of humor under all circumstances; 
· Never stop being creative, never retire; 
· Give thanks for each and every day.

MSG

Edited by nomsgmusic, 30 March 2016 - 02:08 AM.

zenghost

zenghost

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  • LocationOhio

Carter McLean

Playing for 25 years

I play for The Lion King NYC

Live in CT

I endorse George Way/Dunnett drums, Istanbul Agop, Vic Firth, REMO, DW hardware & Earthworks mics.

Keep your eyes out for Four Hands Drumming coming soon.  Online monthly subscription educational site with myself and Matt Johnson from (Jeff Buckley, St Vincent, Rufus Wainwright)

Cheers Yall

Carter

Something with Carter and Matt Johnson should be good - will definitely be watching for this.

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

I'm a Golf Professional...does that count?!?!?!

Not only does it not count, you are not allowed in the club house! LOL! ( I was a starter once. Does that count?) Ace

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

We still have Bun E, and duanedrum. 

Hindadoon

Hindadoon

Pro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Hello all,

I've been touring and making records since 1983.

I'm originally from Brooklyn NY.

I've had the pleasure of recording and/or  performing live with, Iggy Pop, Ryan Adams, Shawn Colvin, Psychedelic Furs, David Gahan  (of Depeche Mode) Jesse Malin, Don Dilego, Martha Reeves, Clarence Clemons, Marianne FaithFull  and some other great artist all of which are listed on my website. 

http://paulgaristo.com/index.html

I do love my vintage drums and more often than not, to date, I've used them on tour and to record with.

Having said that, I just signed with DW  drums and I'm very much looking forward to receiving my first new set in April. 

I use Vic Firth sticks exclusively.

My Cymbals are Zildjian  supplemented with Meinl along with a collection of vintage cymbals I've acquired  over the years.

Heads, Remo.

Happy drumming!

Paul

Edited by Hindadoon, 02 April 2016 - 10:25 AM.

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 12,197 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far. Glad to know you all.

mariosdrums

mariosdrums

Pro

• Platinum
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationSunny So. Cal

Anyone who makes a go out of playing music full-time is a "pro" in my book. And furthermore, if you play and get paid for it but don't make it your full time gig, more power to you. Play because you love it, which is what we all have in common here. I've been lucky to do this and only this for as long as I remember.

Mario Calire - L.A., California

Wallflowers - 1995-2003

Ozomatli - 2003-2013

Stephen Stills  - 2014-2015

Other tours/records with : Liz Phair, Brett Dennen, Pat Green, Nikka Costa, Rickie Lee Jones

Gear: DW Drums & Hardware, Istanbul Agop, Vater, Remo, and various vintage drums (especially Camco)

www.mariocalire.com

www.vintagecamco.com

Sinclair

Sinclair

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Agreed. BTW, if you don't know already...Mario Calire is a bad ass. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users