best way to prepare for long playing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Drummer1990

Drummer1990

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • LocationAlbany New York

I been drumming for 15 years I am 25 years old an when I play my drums I get burned out in under an hour an cannot play any longer... What kinda exercises can I do to loosen up my wrists to play longer an faster without killing myself??

BillyGoodness

BillyGoodness

Pro

• Platinum
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Hey Phil,

I think with anything that's as physical as drumming you need to work towards getting yourself in shape for "the long run" so to speak.

Regardless of the style music you're playing, practicing so that you can execute whatever pattern you're trying to play in a RELAXED way is critical. This is especially true for faster tempo stuff. Once you feel yourself starting to stiffen up, stop, relax, and shake out the cramps. Give yourself a few minutes to recover and go again. Little by little your endurance will increase. It just takes time and an awareness of how relaxed or tense you're playing.

For myself, I always play through a series of rudiments to warm up - regardless of the playing situation - practicing, doing a studio date, or a live gig.

All the best!

Billy G.

CSR

CSR

Member since May 2000

• Platinum
  • 5,460 posts
  • Location- Snow Belt, New York State, USA, Earth
Igoes' "Hands for a Lifetime" is a great way to warm up and loosen the hands if you can read.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0031SUP26

RIDDIM

RIDDIM

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,796 posts
  • LocationMD

Getting worn out in an hour at age 25 suggests some kind of regular aerobic exercise might be in order too.

Drummer1990

Drummer1990

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • LocationAlbany New York

I like to play heavy rock and when I'm crusin along at between 200-300bpm I feel completely exausted n lose the tempo very quickly.... I don't know why but I used to be able to practice about 4 hours a day without stopping now IF I am lucky I can only put in 2 and then im wiped out

speady1

speady1

• Gold
  • 417 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, KY

I would certainly agree that aerobic exercise is called for here.  Playing at 200-300 bpm is a whole world that I've never been in, but stamina comes with lots of practice.  I typically warm up at 90-100 bpm and build to 160-185, so I can't even speak of "blast beat" bpm's you mention.  I'd suggest going an hour on day one, an hour and ten minutes on day two, etc.  In a week you'll be to 90 minutes.  Keep building in 10 minute increments.  Good luck!

athnony

athnony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Hey Phil,

I think with anything that's as physical as drumming you need to work towards getting yourself in shape for "the long run" so to speak.

Regardless of the style music you're playing, practicing so that you can execute whatever pattern you're trying to play in a RELAXED way is critical. This is especially true for faster tempo stuff. Once you feel yourself starting to stiffen up, stop, relax, and shake out the cramps. Give yourself a few minutes to recover and go again. Little by little your endurance will increase. It just takes time and an awareness of how relaxed or tense you're playing.

For myself, I always play through a series of rudiments to warm up - regardless of the playing situation - practicing, doing a studio date, or a live gig.

All the best!

Billy G.

Agree with Billy here - being relaxed is key.

I've noticed that getting in better physical shape, just overall, will help a lot. Even if you're relaxed as you're playing, you're still using up quite a bit of energy simply moving around the kit.

And practice. Lots of practice. Start slow and build up.

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,212 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

Don't worry about it.

Since "In-A-Gadda-DA-Vida" most songs have been under an hour......

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,212 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

Attempt these 4:46 seconds.

You be working with it for 25 Years. Be prepared.

Or  these 1:44 seconds should last hmmmm 30 years easy;

So it ain't the distance

It what's Visited..

Along the Journey

(both of those above are 'solvable' so don't fret about 'not living to 135..)

They both can be accomplished.

By you

Especially when combined/ conjoined with other, musicians...

I would concern myself by how long you can play with other musicians

besides within a Drum solo ----that is ultimately what matters

Work and find the issues within there

playing with others.

Edited by JDA, 29 September 2016 - 12:00 AM.

Alan_

Alan_

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationAustin

Best way to gain endurance? Slow down. Pull out some books. Work Stick Control...play each exercise for 5 minutes. Practice at being efficient and relaxed with motion. Check your posture. Breathe. Also: practice (or play with others) for extended periods.

To build endurance, you have to play for longer periods of time. :) The more familiar your muscles are with what to do, the easier it gets.

Edited by Alan_, 05 November 2016 - 03:18 PM.

DudemanSeattle

DudemanSeattle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Quick follow up question for the guru's on this string as i suffer the same fatigue often about 1 hour into a 2 hour gig. 

Any feedback or experience with the Zildjian Super 5A Anti-Vibration sticks to reduce pain / fatigue for extended playing time?

Tried a pair and certainly much thicker than a typical 5A - they appear drilled down the middle with a form of foam or padding inside the stick. 

Here is a link if helpful : http://www.musicians...ibe-drumsticks 

Thanks everyone!

Dudeman

NYFrank

NYFrank

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationNortheast U.S.

Part of the relaxed approach should be - lower volume / lighter strokes.  

Not all drumming has to be so physical.   

speady1

speady1

• Gold
  • 417 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, KY

Quick follow up question for the guru's on this string as i suffer the same fatigue often about 1 hour into a 2 hour gig. 

Any feedback or experience with the Zildjian Super 5A Anti-Vibration sticks to reduce pain / fatigue for extended playing time?

Tried a pair and certainly much thicker than a typical 5A - they appear drilled down the middle with a form of foam or padding inside the stick. 

Here is a link if helpful : http://www.musicians...ibe-drumsticks 

Thanks everyone!

Dudeman

I tried some of these out when I was practicing on an E-kit.  It helps for sure, but all of my problems were coming from pinched nerves in my shoulder and armpit.  I highly suggest finding a DC that practices Active Release Therapy.  Every 2-3 months, I drive down to Nashville to see Preston Wakefield.  Do a quick google search for him.  He has written some "drum-centric" articles for MD, Drum, etc.  It's amazing what he can do for fatigue and pain in the hands. 

http://www.activerel...-a-provider.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users