• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Lorenzo1950

Lorenzo1950

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

My friend sold me a beautiful Yamaha bass but the two online lessons I viewed are very strange.

While I am learning the fretboard it would make more sense if the diagrams were not reversed.

Is it normal to diagram the strings with the E string on the bottom and the 12th fret to the right?

Maybe I have to practice upside down, backwards or standing on my head while learning this.

There must be a logic to it. 

supershifter2

supershifter2

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,484 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.

some people that dont know any better string basses and guitars upside down. the E is normally on top then A , D and the famous G string I like to pluck. I have a Fender P bass. I use D'addario .105 flatwounds and a thick felt pick. From top to bottom

E

A

D

G

Lorenzo1950

Lorenzo1950

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD
These two instructors definitely were explaining everything correctly but the diagram was reversed.

gwbasley

gwbasley

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationHoliday, Florida

Check out this book, "Fretboard Roadmap for Bass" by Fred Sokolov:

http://www.barnesand...k_clickid=3x281

Osahead2

Osahead2

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,939 posts
  • LocationFlying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superfortress!
Several years ago, I wanted to learn to play the jazz upright bass... to this very day, I still enjoy it... so with dedication your goals are possible.

Edited by Osahead2, 29 July 2016 - 09:06 AM.

Lorenzo1950

Lorenzo1950

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD
An online lesson is like looking into a mirror with the instructors right side being your left. It almost seems more reasonable that the student should be standing behind the instructor.

TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire

• Platinum
  • 7,220 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

If I'm picturing it correctly, it seems to me they put it that way so you can lay the neck/bass back (strings facing up) to see where you're putting your fingers to correspond with the diagram. I guess that makes sense, but I don't think I've ever seen it done that way.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,803 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

E string is on top, then A, D, G, but I've never understood why the bottom string is called the "first" string!  Also, for reading tablature and music, the zero fret is to the left with the E on bottom, then A-D-G as you go up.  The way you are diagramming sounds right as I understand it.

I played violin starting in 3rd grade thru about 7th grade and hated it.  Although I regret forgetting how to read music, for some reason, being able to play a 4 stringed instrument (oddly, violin goes reversed GDAE) has come to me naturally and easily, certainly more easily than guitar.  I've been drumming 35+ years and I'm maybe a B-.  I've been playing guitar (self taught) for 21+ years and my relative talent level is much better in guitar than drums.  Bass wise, though, I can get down and boogie all types of music, and even play fretless. I actually cut an album as a bassist in a reggae band!  I do love the bass and to me it's the easiest of the 3 by far, and my best instrument.

Now, I am trying to learn piano and boy, talk about hard!  As long as you can groove and keep time, you just gotta keep playing......

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,615 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Learning by tablature sucks. Youtube made that obsolete. The small E string is the 1st string, because the next 3 strings (making 4) are your basic triad strings. The 5th and 6th are bass strings. You don't just play the bass strings without considering the bass part. Even though the bass is 1 octave lower, you still can't hammer away on the bass strings when you play in a band. I like Scott Grove, for learning stringed instrument fast and cheap. The guy is funny too. Groovymusic.com, I think. Ace

Edited by rhythmace, 19 February 2018 - 11:01 AM.

biggator

biggator

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,109 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Imagine that you're leaning over looking down at your hands... you're seeing it upside down - hence the diagrams.

supershifter2

supershifter2

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,484 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.

learn to play with all 4 fingers and your thumb on the E.

pete

pete

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Locationnew york city

it sounds like the diagram is correct.     when i taught myself the fretboard i made a diagram for myself and it should look as if you were looking down at your hand on the fretboard as Biggator wrote.  

DrumGerry

DrumGerry

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationLondon UK
The ancients believed that musical notes had gravity.  Low frequencies fell to earth and high frequencies floated upwards.  Therefore, in order to sustain balance within a melody, and/or the instrument, the fattest strings were placed above the thinner ones, so that everything blended correctly/harmoniously.

The Arab lute, the oud, had 4 strings.  Each string represented one of body's four humours (internal liquids that sustained life). Similarly, it was tuned in 4ths, this 'magical' number being representative of God's plan (four seasons, four humours, four elements etc).  This convention dates back to Medieval times and was introduced into Western Europe via the Moors - the Arabs refined earlier Greek ideas and their teachings were hugely influential on Christians just prior to the European Renaissance).

So, that's bass tuning 101 in a nutshell...all clear now?

Lorenzo1950

Lorenzo1950

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Here it is, I made a copy.

Attached Files

pete

pete

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Locationnew york city

that is how it should be.     otherwise, obviously you must reverse it in you head which is a needless step.

tris66

tris66

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • Location3rd world

Here it is, I made a copy.

Think of it like this. If you are holding the bass then set it down flat in your lap the notes on the fret board would be in the same position as a printed copy of the picture sitting in your lap.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,803 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

When I picked up guitar decades ago, there used to be the On Line Guitar Archive (OLGA) which had thousands of songs via tab. Anytime I needed to figure something out, I'd look it up and boom!  For the bass, though, I have a good ear (so I think!) and have learned just from playing it.  Oddly, I can easily move around the fret board but have a heck of a time on guitar such as for soloing......

Good diagram above and yes, as noted above, it's like you are sitting, guitar in lap (neck pointed left) and the paper in front of you.......

JoePasko2002

JoePasko2002

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

My main bass has just 2 strings, E and A.  The darn thing practically plays itself !

Attached File  bass0.jpg   28.76KB   0 downloads

swarfrat

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV

• Members
  • 4,715 posts

Yeah. That's normal. My son is lefty, and I sometimes play his u-bass upside down .  Takes work but not as much as learning to play left handed after 30 years

Lorenzo1950

Lorenzo1950

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Thank you, I think I've got it. Ordered a bass book "Hal Leonard Bass Method vol 1-3." The book had good reviews.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users