• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

KCDrumDad

KCDrumDad

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationKansas City

I have the opportunity to buy some three year old Ludwigs which have suffered some heat related wrap bubbling.  Each drum has a single long bubble about half a panel away from the seam (see picture).  I would be buying these because of the wrap - reissued Galaxy Sparkle - so saving the wrap is key.  I have read about various approaches, but most seem to apply to vintage drums.  Any ideas on a three year old wrap offered by Ludwig?  I only have one shot at fixing these, so need to be relatively sure it is going to work.  I don't really want a set of new drums that I need to rewrap.

Attached File  Galaxy Sparkle bubble in wrap.jpg   96.59KB   0 downloads

KCDrumDad

KCDrumDad

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Update.  I decided to pass, so no longer need ideas on how to fix them.

mkelley

mkelley

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Bumping an old thread.

Got a used kit in the same finish as galaxy sparkle and the bass has bubbles too. Any idea how to smooth it all out? Hair dryer?

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

I think a hair dry would just exacerbate the problem. I think two things are going on with heat bubbling: the glue failing and the wrap expanding. I can't imagine any way back from that.

MLayton

MLayton

Team Dfo

• Administrators
  • 30,107 posts

Must have been something with the wrap or the backing? I have two drums with this wrap from a few years back. They also have the bubble thing going on. Strange.

Mike

Radio King

Radio King

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • LocationVA Beach

Every time I've seen bubbling of a wrap, it's always been either solid Black or Black Diamond Pearl. And now, this Black Galaxy Sparkle. Coincidence?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users