• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

R.C. Lyde

R.C. Lyde

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas
Hello Mr. Goodness,

I have a question you may be able to answer for me. I am late getting on this board, and I missed out on the opportunity to talk with the late great Tommy Wells.

Do you ever talk with Jerry Kroon? I have been dying to ask him a question!

On Merle Haggard's 1980 album, BACK TO THE BARROOMS, both he and Larrie were credited on the album. On I THINK I JUST STAY HERE AND DRINK, there are 2 drum tracks. I always wondered, was that a londin/Kroon drum duet on that song, or did one of them overdub his own drum track?

I would appreciate your help if you can, Mr Goodness!

blueshadow

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along

• Members
  • 11,469 posts
  • LocationSouth of Austin, Texas

Great tune!   They really start cooking on it right when Merle yells out "We're gone!" .... No let them keep playing!  :)

Jerry played on some of the early George Strait records as well and had some signature fills.   Hopefully Billy will have some info if not Jerry could probably be tracked down on facebook maybe?   I know Milton Sledge is active there,  I enjoy his posts (Was on all the Garth recordings)

R.C. Lyde

R.C. Lyde

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Oh yeah, love all of Jerry's work, and Sledge too.

I think Sledge helped bring the natural drum sound back to the country trend in the early 90's, with his work on Garth's records.  Same with Owen Hale.

Edited by R.C. Lyde, 22 September 2016 - 05:43 PM.

BillyGoodness

BillyGoodness

Pro

• Platinum
  • 1,482 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Hello R.C.

I actually used to see, and talk with, Jerry pretty regularly.

Unfortunately, that was quite some time ago. We have not been in touch for many years now.

I don't see him on FB either.

I can reach out to some of my Nashville friends and see if they have his contact info.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

And, yes, I love Jerry's playing as well. The last I heard, he was doing the Don McLean gig.

Billy G.

blueshadow

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along

• Members
  • 11,469 posts
  • LocationSouth of Austin, Texas
I asked Sledge and he said he had always heard other was Londin and Merle's drummer Biff Adam

splinkman

splinkman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationwaukesha wi

So about 15 yrs ago Tommy was telling me I should go to forks and by this  pearl fiberglass kit that he and Larry London had carried into fireside studio from DOG percussion in around 75. He said that Kroon and Larry had played double drums on the song in question and this kit was one of them,,, as well as a ton of other stuff,,,,, the kit has been residing in my basement ever since,,, I learned  over the years that if Tommy recommended something it was most likely the best thing to do,,,,,, and I've been hooked on fiberglass ever  since then as well,,,,,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users