• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Live Gig Shots

Live Gig Shots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEastern Iowa

I am in need of a tutorial on a Yamaha DTX-Multi 12-Trigger Drum Pad.

Found a very nice pre-owned pad. I have the PDF but was wondering if current users could help me learn the basic operations? Did the You tube search and most were reviews or too advanced. I would program in click tracks of bass or drum loops for practicing. 

Also what free Mac apps are recommended?

Thank You Kindly-George

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,801 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

I don't know of any programming tutorials for the Multi-12.

I own one and love it. Very versatile and powerful unit, but the menu-driven interface is dense and non-intuitive. I would offer that your best bet at understanding this unit is to print out the manual and sit down with the manual and read through it section by section, keeping a supply of self-adhesive page tabs and a fine-tipped Sharpie handy. When you see a description of how to do something that interests you, tab that page with an appropriate keyword. You should also keep a separate notebook where you can write down your own step-by-step instructions that you can refer back to later. 

There is an absolutely astounding great iPad app that gives you a rich GUI for the Multi-12, and it is free. Check it out at http://usa.yamaha.com/products/apps/dtx_multi-12_touch/

This app, in my opinion, puts the Multi-12 waaayyy ahead of any other percussion pad, and will make using it much simpler. It does require a proprietary cable:

Connecting instruments with iPads. The i-MX1 and i-UX1 can be used to connect to the DTX-MULTI12. When connecting to an iPad (4th generation), iPad Air,iPad Air2, iPad mini, or iPad mini retina, please use a Lightning-30 pin adapter from Apple with the i-MX1 or i-UX1. Use a Stereo Cable (mini Stereo - standard stereo) to connect an iPad (headphone jack) to the DTX-MULTI12 (AUX IN jack). *Not necessary when not using the App Wave function.

I would still encourage you to learn your way around the menu on the pad itself. There is at least one function (can't remember what it is just now), that the iPad app doesn't perform.

All that said, the Multi-12 will return to you what you put into it. Have fun!

Connecting instruments with iPads. The i-MX1 and i-UX1 can be used to connect to the DTX-MULTI12. When connecting to an iPad (4th generation), iPad Air,iPad Air2, iPad mini, or iPad mini retina, please use a Lightning-30 pin adapter from Apple with the i-MX1 or i-UX1. Use a Stereo Cable (mini Stereo - standard stereo) to connect an iPad (headphone jack) to the DTX-MULTI12 (AUX IN jack). *Not necessary when not using the App Wave function.

jmpd_utoronto

jmpd_utoronto

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 671 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

A cheaper way to connect the DTX to an iPad (and I agree, it's worth doing - the ipad app is fantastic and way easier to use than scrolling through many sub menus) is to by the Apple Lightning to USB "camera connector" cable, and a USB- USB(A) cord.  That way the cable is actually useful for other things too.

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,801 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

A cheaper way to connect the DTX to an iPad (and I agree, it's worth doing - the ipad app is fantastic and way easier to use than scrolling through many sub menus) is to by the Apple Lightning to USB "camera connector" cable, and a USB- USB(A) cord.  That way the cable is actually useful for other things too.

Thanks for that! Could I persuade you to provide links to these items?

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,801 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

I am in need of a tutorial on a Yamaha DTX-Multi 12-Trigger Drum Pad.

Found a very nice pre-owned pad. I have the PDF but was wondering if current users could help me learn the basic operations? Did the You tube search and most were reviews or too advanced. I would program in click tracks of bass or drum loops for practicing. 

Also what free Mac apps are recommended?

Thank You Kindly-George

Just FYI, the process of recording loops is outlined in detail on page 21 of the manual.

jmpd_utoronto

jmpd_utoronto

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 671 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for that! Could I persuade you to provide links to these items?

Of course!

Lightning-USB connector:  http://www.apple.com...-camera-adapter

A/B USB cable:  http://www.staples.c.../product_837370

The lightning pin goes in the iPad, the male "B" side (more rectangular) of the USB cables connects to the female part of the lightning/usb connector, and the "A" side of the USB (more square side with two diagonal corners) connects into the DTX M12.

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,801 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Thanks!

Live Gig Shots

Live Gig Shots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEastern Iowa

Thank you Stickinthemud and jmpd_utoronto!!! I have the actually manual now so your directions on it's use is quite helpful. I have a new the IiPad Mini 4 128mg specifically for my drums (also the Yamaha MX49 Synth) mounted on the Yamaha DTX stand. ( I use Gibralter Stealth racks on each side of my kit).

Thank you for the links to connect the iPad to the DTX. 

Using the DTX is a lot like learning to read and count. It will take time and be painful, but once I  master a measure or two it WILL get better

I will keep this thread active as I begin the process. George

Edited by Live Gig Shots, 20 November 2016 - 11:04 AM.

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,801 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

That's great. The Multi-12 and the Multi-touch app are two of the best-kept secrets in the electronic drumming world, IMO. I figure that it will be the last piece of drumming equipment I let go of.

RickyTerzis

RickyTerzis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNewYork,USA

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the lightning pin goes in the iPad, the male "B" side (more rectangular) of the USB cables connects to the female part of the lightning/usb connector, and the "A" side of the USB connects into the DTX M12.

antkn33

antkn33

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Locationada, mi
I’m a little confused on the app. Is it possible to browse the kits, patterns , etc from the app? I’m not sure of how to switch kit presets from the app. Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Yamaha DTX-Multi 12-Trigger, Yamaha DTX, electronic Drum Pad DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users