- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

swarfrat

swarfrat

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,449 posts
Got a line on an old slingerland 12 x 16 parade snare, but it has a horrible paint job and the badge was painted over. (Late 40's) what's the best recourse? The drum is not particularly valuable, but I'd still like to give it some honor. Will anything that takes off the paint remove any plating too?

CompactDrums

CompactDrums

Advanced Member

• Retail
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationToronto Burbs, Canada

Depending on the paint it shouldn't be too hard to get off without removing the plating. (If there is any)... all depends on what kind of paint was used...

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,844 posts
  • LocationMonterey Bay, CA

I picked up a Slingerland cloud WW II aluminum badge which is silver and with red writing/etching.  Unfortunately, some yokel had painted it metallic light blue!  It took a while but with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol (I also tried hot water/soap, goo gone, lighter fluid, paint thinner, and hand sanitizer, too), and gently rubbing it after soaking in warm water, all the blue paint eventually came off with no damage to the underlying badge or red ink......obviously, I am a professional amateur and just was going for things around the house, but luckily it worked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users