JoePasko2002

JoePasko2002

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 531 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Attached File  bass_harp.jpg   44.07KB   0 downloads

Attached File  harps.jpg   57.59KB   0 downloads

Edited by JoePasko2002, 02 December 2016 - 06:35 AM.

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,068 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

Yup, that is a Big F*ckin' Harmonica!  I've tried to play harmonica without any luck.

How do you like it?

JoePasko2002

JoePasko2002

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 531 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

I like it.  But it is a challenge (as well it should be).

The bass harmonica has a very distinctive sound.  Other than old records by The Harmonicats or The Harmonica Rascals, I'd say the most familiar use of bass harmonica was in the theme songs from 'Sanford & Son' and 'Green Acres'.  

Besides its size and pitch, bass harp differs from standard harmonica in that is 'blow only', there are no draw reeds.  And the reeds are arranged in 2 parallel rows of holes: the bottom row corresponding to the white keys on a piano, and the upper row corresponding to the black keys.   So, although I can play diatonic & tremolo harmonicas, I don't find much to transfer.  It's more like playing bass lines on a keyboard... but with my mouth !  So far I am able to play simple root-fifth patterns & walking bass lines... but anything more complicated, and I find myself pulling the harmonica away from my face, to see where the next note is.    I guess I will develop the 'mouth memory', in time.   Although time is hard to come by.  Someday, I will retire and maybe devote myself to mastering all of these instruments that I have just been dabbling in.  

Edited by JoePasko2002, 24 December 2016 - 09:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users