• LocationOhio
Sweet!

Rich K.

Rich K.

Drummer Excelsior

• Platinum
  • 8,797 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA

FYI the Ludwig Joey Kramer snare drum is engraved by laser, which simply removes the finish. Well, not simply, the machine that does does those were designed by people smarter than all of us combined.

Graver style actually digs into the metal. This is more specifically called wriggle style, where you wriggle the tool back and forth. There's also push style (seen on a lot of Conn instruments), scratch, and air graver. Air Gravers are like tiny jack hammers. There's also western bright cut which is pretty amazing. A lot of firearm, knife, and jewelry engraving is done under a microscope. Random facts for your Friday.

and who doesn't appreciate random facts ?
There's a group of folks in a small town in Wisconsin that doesn't appreciate random facts.

nad_reese

nad_reese

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationCowtown, O-High-O

what happens if you slip....?

Improvise...

Question . . . what happens if you do slip . . . is there a way to "fix it" or is the shell ruined?  I noticed a couple spots in your second image that I wondered about and marked. Were these errors or perhaps something that was there before you started, but regardless . . . can those marks be eliminated . . . NAD

Attached File  ES Engraving2.jpg   289.44KB   0 downloads

Eric Sooy

Eric Sooy

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,463 posts

Big nasty slips usually happen when I'm testing out and narrowing down a tool geometry. On the real shells the pucker and care factor goes way up! I had a couple little slips on the drum I just finish, but you'd be hard up to find them. It's all part of what makes them hand crafted. 

steambent

steambent

Drum Czar

• Double Platinum
  • 2,721 posts
  • LocationOhio
I have a very early John Aldridge engraved drum, late 80s I believe. I do no know of any ops on the drum but when you compair it to his later work the consistency of the flowers/petals so on and so on is much more random. I like that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users