• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

repete

repete

This one goes to eleven

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Locationsouth florida
Is anyone using these? How are they holding up?

JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff

Advanced Member

• Gold
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationUS

Have used them for about 3 years maybe and love them for the weight. When they're "working" I can't tell any difference between them and the standard steel legs.

CherryClassic

CherryClassic

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationBuda, Texas

Don't know I'm interested.....

sherm

CherryClassic

CherryClassic

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationBuda, Texas

Have used them for about 3 years maybe and love them for the weight. When they're "working" I can't tell any difference between them and the standard steel legs.

What does that mean; when they're "working"?

sherm

zenghost

zenghost

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationOhio

I use them wherever possible, including other kits that will accommodate 12.7mm floor tom legs. I have them on my Craviotto's and plan to use them on an Oriollo kit with INDe brackets.

They aren't cheap, but they are much lighter than the crowbar legs (some of them are ridiculously heavy) you see on some kits. The lightweight significantly reduces the mass attached to the floor tom/shell and when combined with the thinner foot portion that extends at a right angle, results in a low-mass, yet surprisingly springy floor tom leg. You can actually feel the suspension element provided by the leg when they are placed on a floor tom and you move it around across the floor.

Way better than any suspension tips I've tried for tone optimization, plus the obvious weight savings makes it a highly desirable feature for me. I try to find them used.

Edited by zenghost, 10 January 2017 - 10:24 PM.

repete

repete

This one goes to eleven

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Locationsouth florida
Thanks. I'm using the regular ones on a couple kits but also looking to reduce weight were even I can. Time to put some gig money aside!

Edited by repete, 10 January 2017 - 10:25 PM.

JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff

Advanced Member

• Gold
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationUS

sherm

When they are "holding up a drum" I haven't been able to note a difference.

CherryClassic

CherryClassic

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationBuda, Texas

sherm

When they are "holding up a drum" I haven't been able to note a difference.

I was just kidding.  I understood.

sherm

CherryClassic

CherryClassic

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationBuda, Texas

I need to save some dimes but aluminum sounds like a good deal.

sherm 

Edited by CherryClassic, 11 January 2017 - 06:18 AM.

Fun 2 Drum

Fun 2 Drum

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 5,194 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

Seems like something I would like, but I never heard of them before.  Sometimes I think I must live under a rock.  

purist

purist

Advanced Member

• Gold
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationCT

I've never heard of the either.  I switched to aluminum cymbal stands, and for a few years a snare stand, but in my opinion it's not worth the $80 to switch.  I would be saving ~ 3 lbs. in my trap case?

zenghost

zenghost

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationOhio

I would never switch them out just for weight savings alone (again, they are also 12.7mm) . The primary driver for me to use them is the sonic benefit. However, when that is combined with the weight-savings, it makes a more compelling case for me.

They are priced too high in my opinion, so I'd be patient and look for a deal somewhere if you want to try them.

repete

repete

This one goes to eleven

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

I've never heard of the either. I switched to aluminum cymbal stands, and for a few years a snare stand, but in my opinion it's not worth the $80 to switch. I would be saving ~ 3 lbs. in my trap case?

And 3 lbs. on your floor tom

Geostorm98

Geostorm98

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationCT

I would never switch them out just for weight savings alone (again, they are also 12.7mm) . The primary driver for me to use them is the sonic benefit. However, when that is combined with the weight-savings, it makes a more compelling case for me.

They are priced too high in my opinion, so I'd be patient and look for a deal somewhere if you want to try them.

I haven't tried the aluminum version but a significant part of decoupling and avoiding the deadening effects of some floor tom legs is due to the double right angle design of DW floor tom legs. There's no need for air tip/float style feet, at least for me. My floors are plenty resonant even with the steel legs. On my Sonor kit with standard floor tom legs, air tip feet make a huge difference; with the DW legs they aren't necessary.

Edited by Geostorm98, 11 January 2017 - 10:38 AM.

zenghost

zenghost

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationOhio

I haven't tried the aluminum version but a significant part of decoupling and avoiding the deadening effects of some floor tom legs is due to the double right angle design of DW floor tom legs. There's no need for air tip/float style feet, at least for me. My floors are plenty resonant even with the steel legs. On my Sonor kit with standard floor tom legs, air tip feet make a huge difference; with the DW legs they aren't necessary.

I agree steel legs are fine and I do use them on other kits.

The DW legs are just another tweak (ultimately unnecessary, but fun perhaps), like suspension tips with the added benefit of less mass attached to the shell and less weight in the gig bag.

The double right angle design feature is definitely a significant factor, along with with the material/diameter variation as aluminum is simply less stiff than steel (in general) and reduces the mass attached to the drum.

Undoubtedly, we are all far better off having good heads and being able to optimize the tuning than spending $80 on floor tom legs.

Chonson

Chonson

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I have a set on my jazz series kit; they're great and feel like they weigh almost nothing - especially when compared to the beefy regular legs. 

That said, it's somewhat of a wash. I've upgraded a bunch of stuff on my Collector's kit over the years (tom mounts, mag throws, 3p butt, etc) but I really feel no pull to add aluminum legs to that kit. Similarly, since I haven't gotten pulled into the ultralight hardware arms race, it's a marginal drop of weight from my usual hardware. Every bit counts, to be sure, but I'm already playing 6000 & 7000 series hardware since I don't need anything bigger. 

If you were concerned with saving every ounce possible, no matter the cost, but still wanted to play a full-size kit they'd be worth a look. Sonically, I don't have any opinion since, as I said, they're on my jazz series kit which is just a wholly different beast from collector's in terms of how they're voiced. And, in hindsight, I never thought to check it out. 

Pure durability though? ("How are they holding up"?) They're fine. I am more likely to break one of the plastic tilter handles than those legs. 

RobbiefromAtlanta

RobbiefromAtlanta

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 758 posts
  • LocationAtlanta
They came with my Jazz series kit and they are really light. Not sure of any sonic difference between them and the steel legs.

repete

repete

This one goes to eleven

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

the reason I asked is I'm giving my Club Customs a break from the stage and going with my Tempus kits for awhile - both floor toms use

DW brackets - I am also using the ultra lite stands so why not keep getting lighter?

zenghost

zenghost

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationOhio

the reason I asked is I'm giving my Club Customs a break from the stage and going with my Tempus kits for awhile - both floor toms use

DW brackets - I am also using the ultra lite stands so why not keep getting lighter?

No argument from me sir - lighter is nice!!

Edited by zenghost, 11 January 2017 - 12:56 PM.

dwdave

dwdave

Groovinator

• Platinum
  • 1,809 posts
  • LocationDavis, Ca

Guys......

Go to home depot and buy 1/2" aluminum stock. Or order some on line. It's easy to bend and file down the top edge. I've been using a set on my Gretsch kit for years with no problem. I'm thinking about getting the PDP tilter assy and making a 22" boom, mostly so I have some room at the back end so I can attach another instrument, cowbell, splash etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users