Photo

Where is the Vision series in the Pearl hierarchy?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

dtk

dtk

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 6,846 posts
  • LocationNeedham MA...

Trying to help a friend buy a good quality kit for his son...saw the link in the amazon sales thread.   Really don't follow pearl (have owned a few nice snares of theirs though).

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,988 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

2 steps above basement.

Tommy D

Tommy D

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 839 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

They are currently discontinued.  They were towards the bottom, just above the Exports.  That's not to say they are junk kits though.  The lacquer ones are really quite nice and certainly something to consider.  

mfryed2112

mfryed2112

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Gold
  • 10,291 posts
  • LocationPRO FOOTBALL HALL of FAME CITY
Lowerarchy

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,988 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

Not junk by any means but Stradivarius?  nah...

Give em credit for introducing a Bop kit for 499/507/ whatever it was//

From 50 ft. you couldn't tell the difference from a 1968 Slingerland.

That's saying something right? no?

(contain your laughter)

Work well in Open Stages I was told by a reliable source.

In other words you could "leave em and forget em" ( sorta a Slingerland motto wasn't it)

no that was 

" Set em and forget em".  Sorta same.

Edited by JDA, 11 January 2017 - 05:06 PM.

RogersLudwig

RogersLudwig

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationFort Stinkindesert, NM

If I recall correctly, they are birch. I play one occasionally since it is the back line set at the local theater, but the bass is 18x22, a size that I do not particularly like. I prefer 14" deep bass drums. How do they sound? Meh.

tris66

tris66

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Location3rd world

They are currently discontinued.  They were towards the bottom, just above the Exports.  That's not to say they are junk kits though.  The lacquer ones are really quite nice and certainly something to consider.  

They came in birch and maple. I have a snare that was a store demo I picked up cheap... maple shell, lacquer finish. Excellent fit and finish for the price.

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,988 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

I think the birch or maple was, from like tress, that have been allowed to grow/farmed/ for like like ten or twenty years.

Not the old growth stuff.

(more like) virgin saplings.

That's why they can sell it so cheap.

So yea call it birch but it ain't (cut from) 90 or 50 or 40 year old birch..

maybe I'm just romanticizing the whole 'tree' thing...

Edited by JDA, 11 January 2017 - 05:55 PM.

Monty

Monty

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,535 posts
Didn't Rush have a song called "The Trees"?

tris66

tris66

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Location3rd world

I think the birch or maple was, from like tress, that have been allowed to grow/farmed/ for like like ten or twenty years.

Not the old growth stuff.

(more like) virgin saplings.

That's why they can sell it so cheap.

So yea call it birch but it ain't (cut from) 90 or 50 or 40 year old birch..

maybe I'm just romanticizing the whole 'tree' thing...

Funny, twenty years ago when I was working for Gibson farmed trees were 'the thing.' Not only because being 'green' was hip but because of price. All of those more exotic woods you were starting to see at the time were not only for different tone and sales gimmicks. 'They' were also looking for inexpensive materials. I'd have a hard time believing that farmed wood in any different than 'old growth.' (We probably have different ideas of what 'old growth' is.) Better check the big name brands websites to make sure you are getting that "old growth "mojo when you slap down your hard earned cash.

This one drum I have has tight, straight grain in all the layers I can see. The build is as good or better than the Taiwanese Gretsch Catalinas I had and better than the Taiwanese Ludwigs that I had. Any 'old growth' wood in those?  Isn't the OP asking about a starter kit?

multijd

multijd

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY
I recently bought a 10" Tom from Steve Weiss with three brackets (Tom arm, ISO mount and stand bracket) for $39. Its maple shell Pearl Vision. It's an excellent drum. The shell is a medium thick all maple shell with no rerings. I'm using it as an add on for a couple of different kits. Good hardware finish and shell. An entire kit would be great in the right sizes. .

Rich K.

Rich K.

Drummer Excelsior

• Platinum
  • 9,341 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA
The Pearl Visions I've seen and played were real nice for the money.

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,988 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

What is cheap about them.

tnsquint

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru

• Members
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
I have no experience with the Vision series but I did own a Sessions kit at one point which, I believe was a similar line as far as heirarchy. They were really attractively built drums with a nice finish and nice fittings. I will say that the 8 lug 18x22 bass drum was the best sounding bass drum I have owned, hands down. Comparing that to the following:
5 - DW Collectors
3 - Ludwig Classic Maples
3 - Tama Starclassics
4 - C&C Player Date I
1 - Gretsch Renown
1 - Gretsch USA Custom
1 - Ludwig vintage 3 ply w/rings
2 - Spaun Customs
2 - Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes
1 - Premier Genista
1 - Premier Olympic vintage
1 - Premier vintage
4 - Slingerland vintage

Whatever the deal was with that drum, it just had "it" in spades. It was a drum that you could feel when you played it. it felt like it had a sub cabinet attached to it. No idea how it did what it did, but any drummer that sat behind that kit always said "wow" once they played the bass drum. It had that deep, wet, fat, thump with a bit of "air" in the sound. It was really unbelievable. The toms were ok, but that freakin' bass drum...unbelievable.

Monty

Monty

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,535 posts

I have no experience with the Vision series but I did own a Sessions kit at one point which, I believe was a similar line as far as heirarchy. They were really attractively built drums with a nice finish and nice fittings. I will say that the 8 lug 18x22 bass drum was the best sounding bass drum I have owned, hands down. Comparing that to the following:
5 - DW Collectors
3 - Ludwig Classic Maples
3 - Tama Starclassics
4 - C&C Player Date I
1 - Gretsch Renown
1 - Gretsch USA Custom
1 - Ludwig vintage 3 ply w/rings
2 - Spaun Customs
2 - Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes
1 - Premier Genista
1 - Premier Olympic vintage
1 - Premier vintage
4 - Slingerland vintage

Whatever the deal was with that drum, it just had "it" in spades. It was a drum that you could feel when you played it. it felt like it had a sub cabinet attached to it. No idea how it did what it did, but any drummer that sat behind that kit always said "wow" once they played the bass drum. It had that deep, wet, fat, thump with a bit of "air" in the sound. It was really unbelievable. The toms were ok, but that freakin' bass drum...unbelievable.

Spot on! It's exactly how I feel about my Vision kit. Toms? Meh. But the kick? Ooooh boy!!

aparker2005

aparker2005

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,959 posts
I had a vision kit and absolutely loved it. Great sound from those drums.

bonzoleum

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM

• Platinum
  • 4,887 posts
  • LocationChicago IL.
The original Vision were birch/basswood shells. A few of those had lacquer finishes, but most were wrapped. Then they came out with the all maple (lacquer sparkles) and the all birch VBL.

They're actually really nice well made drums. And like someone above said, the 8 lug Sensitones are terrifically built great sounding steel snare drums.

DannyPattersonMusic

DannyPattersonMusic

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • LocationTexas

I plays a Pearl Vision VSX kit at my church.  They are nice drums for the price range.  The kit at the church is all birch (6 ply on the toms and 8 ply on the floor tom and kick)

Edited by DannyPattersonMusic, 12 January 2017 - 09:31 AM.

712drummer

712drummer

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationPhilly Suburbs
They had maple Visions as well.

kingstonmike

kingstonmike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Have played and recorded with the birch Bop kit and I like it a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users