Sticks and Brass

Sticks and Brass

Advanced Member

• Platinum
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationEastern Ohio
Hi guys,
My band mates have been nagging me to expand my set-up to include some electronics. I'm thinking a sample pad would be a good introduction for me into the world of electronic equipment.

I'd like to ask for some suggestions from the experts hear on the forum.

What should I be looking for and what should I avoid?
Brands, styles,, features?
I'm thinking something simple to use is more my speed at this point.
I don't want to spend an arm or a leg (need those to play my acoustics).

Any advice and recommendations are welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Edited by Sticks and Brass, 24 January 2017 - 10:02 PM.

dtk

dtk

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 6,796 posts
  • LocationNeedham MA...

I have the Sample Pad pro after having had the smaller sample pad they make.

QUESTIONS:  Why do they want you to have samples?  Drum sounds?  Movie dialogue?  Percussion loops to groove on?

I found mine on ebay...$200 (think i saw a few on the used GC website).  I'm not 100% sure but I think it'll support 20 kits...maybe more...

*its easy to create a loop (use audacity and your pc to edit samples if necessary).

*200 on board sounds (some are useful) and Alesis has more on their website for free (including a lot of grooves).

*It has external inputs...so i have some E cymbals (pintechs used are cheap) and a trigger on the kick drum.

*8 pads on the unit.

*polyphonic (you can play more than a bad at a time)

*play many loops at 1 time.

Downside...can take a while to load a kit.  Having short samples helps them load faster...having a kit that's not made of all samples should help too...that said I have one kit with 1 short sample and its taking a long time...duplicated it on a lower kit # and it loads faster...having a real WTF moment understanding that.

OT-I'm 52...my band leader is 24..some of the samples I want to use are not what he wants to hear.  Some of that has to do with our 'brand' and style...some of that is just being from different ages.

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,333 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Roland SPD-S is very good. However older models did have a situation wherein the capacitors went bad and it resulted in some added noise in the signal, so be careful about buying used, be sure you know what you're getting. Still I would endorse that product. Has several pads and memory locations and one can easily sample/add sounds into it. 

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,801 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

I am an owner and huge fan of the Yamaha DTX Multi-12, which I consider to be in a class by itself for the following reasons:

-Multiple sensitivity settings allow playing with fingers, hands, or sticks

-After-touch features allow damping (i.e. cymbal chokes), bending of notes, and other effects.

-12 pads (6 square pads and 6 bar pads)

-Ability to load custom samples (not record). Caveat - there is not a lot of space (64 megs total) and about half of that is taken up with pre-loaded samples which can be deleted if you like. Good for loading up samples of your favorite kicks, snares, toms, etc., but not for long loops.

-Ability to control through Yamaha's Multi-Touch App for the iPad, giving you a simple WYSIWYG interface instead of the little LCD display and the inscrutable menus in the on-board interface. This, to me, is a huge game-changer for those who want to really do a lot of customizing or want easy control on the fly. The app is free, but you will need the proprietary dongle (see the "Specs" tab at the above link), and a 30-pin to Lighting adapter if you have a 4th gen iPad.

I bought both the Multi-12 and the SPD-S to do a side-by-side, and even before I got the Multi-Touch app, I decided on the Multi-12. Just so much more you can do with it.

While you can get them used for a good price, it may be more than you want to spend.

In considering others, my advice would be as follows:

-Identify as precisely as possible what you want to do with the unit, and be sure what you select can do those things. For example, do you need to play loops? Trigger your own samples? If so, does the unit have enough storage for everything you want to do, or will you need to trigger them from a laptop? The latter will require a MIDI OUT on the pad, and a MIDI interface for your laptop.

-Read as many reviews a possible to weed out the cheap ones that won't hold up to gigging. There are a lot of inexpensive options, but they may not be as robust as you need them to be.

-Consider how you want to mount the unit and be sure there are provisions for that with the unit you are considering.
-Consider forum support. Vdrums.com is a great resource for knowledge for various types and makes of electronic drums, but is Roland-centric. If you think you will want to be asking a lot of "how do I" questions and don't need the above-mentioned features of the Multi-12, you would do well to go with a Roland SPD or SPD-S, as they have become the pad of choice for most professionals and many amateurs. 

Good luck!

Edited by Stickinthemud, 16 March 2017 - 10:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users