Sticks and Brass

Sticks and Brass

Advanced Member

• Platinum
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationEastern Ohio
Hi guys,
My band mates have been nagging me to expand my set-up to include some electronics. I'm thinking a sample pad would be a good introduction for me into the world of electronic equipment.

I'd like to ask for some suggestions from the experts hear on the forum.

What should I be looking for and what should I avoid?
Brands, styles,, features?
I'm thinking something simple to use is more my speed at this point.
I don't want to spend an arm or a leg (need those to play my acoustics).

Any advice and recommendations are welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Edited by Sticks and Brass, 24 January 2017 - 10:02 PM.

dtk

dtk

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 6,233 posts
  • LocationNeedham MA...

I have the Sample Pad pro after having had the smaller sample pad they make.

QUESTIONS:  Why do they want you to have samples?  Drum sounds?  Movie dialogue?  Percussion loops to groove on?

I found mine on ebay...$200 (think i saw a few on the used GC website).  I'm not 100% sure but I think it'll support 20 kits...maybe more...

*its easy to create a loop (use audacity and your pc to edit samples if necessary).

*200 on board sounds (some are useful) and Alesis has more on their website for free (including a lot of grooves).

*It has external inputs...so i have some E cymbals (pintechs used are cheap) and a trigger on the kick drum.

*8 pads on the unit.

*polyphonic (you can play more than a bad at a time)

*play many loops at 1 time.

Downside...can take a while to load a kit.  Having short samples helps them load faster...having a kit that's not made of all samples should help too...that said I have one kit with 1 short sample and its taking a long time...duplicated it on a lower kit # and it loads faster...having a real WTF moment understanding that.

OT-I'm 52...my band leader is 24..some of the samples I want to use are not what he wants to hear.  Some of that has to do with our 'brand' and style...some of that is just being from different ages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users