• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

RyanAnthony1013

RyanAnthony1013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello all!

Just wanted to share a purchase I recently made. Its a Rogers Mardi Gras Spotlight snare with all the hardware. Flat back B&B lugs, obviously hairline cracks in the lugs but the shell and hoops are original as well as the strainer on the snare. 

Any advice on how to polish this up? What is a good polish to use for the wrap and chrome? Does anybody know any history on this drum as well?? Extremely curious to know!

Thanks! 

- Ryan 

Attached Files

Edited by RyanAnthony1013, 10 February 2017 - 06:49 PM.

dtk

dtk

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 6,307 posts
  • LocationNeedham MA...

cape cod cloths are great on polishing hardware.

dunno about the shell though....looks great now.

RyanAnthony1013

RyanAnthony1013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

yeah the wrap is in very very great condition

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,339 posts
  • LocationFairfield County

Strong color! beautiful drum.

I like Turtle wax on the vintage wraps, cleans shines and moisturizes without any abrasives.

RyanAnthony1013

RyanAnthony1013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Yes i was thinking of using turtle wax, I heard some people on here talking about Novus polish #2 and #1, is that any good? or will turtle wax be just fine? Also what exact type of turtle wax, just a car wax? and does it need to be followed up by anything? Thanks for the reply!

ducodonny

ducodonny

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • Location4 blocks from the INDY 500
Mothers carnauba cleaner/polish with a power ball on a drill. Clean it right up. Same for the chrome.

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,339 posts
  • LocationFairfield County

Yes i was thinking of using turtle wax, I heard some people on here talking about Novus polish #2 and #1, is that any good? or will turtle wax be just fine? Also what exact type of turtle wax, just a car wax? and does it need to be followed up by anything? Thanks for the reply!

I wouldn't recommend it. Its abrasive and will break down the clear coat. That wrap looks like its in good shape to me, just needs a shine!

Any quality auto cleaner/polish is fine.

RyanAnthony1013

RyanAnthony1013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok great, yes I agree. I had a feeling that Novus stuff was a bit abrasive and I don't want to risk that on the wrap

DanC

DanC

"The Force Awakens"

• Silver
  • 12,821 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit

I use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish on the hardware, and Maguiars liquid wax on the wrap. It does no damage, and leaves a great shine. I've been doing it that way for almost 20 years...

The Spotlite series was the precursor to the Tower and Luxor model drums. The Spotlite basses and toms were center-lug drums just like the later Towers were. And the Spotlight snare was a 6-lug drum just like the later Luxor was. In all cases they use the same shells as the Holiday drums and the 8-lug snares.

So, the Spotlight line was engineered to deliver a lower cost and essentially the same sound.

RyanAnthony1013

RyanAnthony1013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks DanC!

DanC

DanC

"The Force Awakens"

• Silver
  • 12,821 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit

Also, that drum has the black interior, indicating a pretty early drum. Probably 1957-8.

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,015 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Sweet drum! Ace

tommykat1

tommykat1

Drummer Excelsior

• Double Platinum
  • 9,058 posts
  • LocationOregon

Yes, very, very sweet drum.

Those coffin lugs are extremely rare. I wouldn't put them back on the drum without strengthening them first (see post in the restoration section). These lugs WILL crack more and eventually peel right off if not strengthened.

http://www.drumforum...rogers-bb-lugs/

RyanAnthony1013

RyanAnthony1013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Thanks tommykat1, I didn't know the coffin lugs were rare! I'm going to use your method to make them extremely strong. I also was wondering if you had any advice on polishing chrome hardware, I saw before and after pictures of your cocktail outfit and it looks incredible!

tommykat1

tommykat1

Drummer Excelsior

• Double Platinum
  • 9,058 posts
  • LocationOregon

Thanks tommykat1, I didn't know the coffin lugs were rare! I'm going to use your method to make them extremely strong. I also was wondering if you had any advice on polishing chrome hardware, I saw before and after pictures of your cocktail outfit and it looks incredible!

Thank you, Ryan. I use Mother's Chrome Polish. On other metal surfaces, I use a product called Blue Magic.

thebeebe5

thebeebe5

Miss you, Bongo!!

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationSurprise, AZ
I'll second tommykat1's Blue Majic recommendation. It's a simichrome polish that works really well. As far as Novus goes I've used Novus 2 on dull, well worn drum wraps with excellent results. Probably wouldn't on something in nice condition though as it's not really necessary. Novus 1 will just be a "cleaner". No need to spend the coin IMO as I'd just use a quality automotive wax like jp indicated. DO NOT use Novus 3 on a drum wrap. It's heavily abrasive. I don't even use it on scratched acrylics prefering to wet sand progressively and then polish with Novus 2.

That's a special drum there. Take good care of it!

tommykat1

tommykat1

Drummer Excelsior

• Double Platinum
  • 9,058 posts
  • LocationOregon

I'll second tommykat1's Blue Majic recommendation. It's a simichrome polish that works really well. As far as Novus goes I've used Novus 2 on dull, well worn drum wraps with excellent results. Probably wouldn't on something in nice condition though as it's not really necessary. Novus 1 will just be a "cleaner". No need to spend the coin IMO as I'd just use a quality automotive wax like jp indicated. DO NOT use Novus 3 on a drum wrap. It's heavily abrasive. I don't even use it on scratched acrylics prefering to wet sand progressively and then polish with Novus 2.

That's a special drum there. Take good care of it!

+1 Nailed it. I tried Novus 3, 2 and 1 on the plastic headlight covers of my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. After all these years, they were really scratched and dull. The Novus did not work. I ended up having to progressively wet sand the lenses using emery cloth from 300-ish to 1200, followed by Meguiars Hi Tech cleaner, Swirl Remover, and then Novus 2 and 1. Meguiars makes plastic cleaner and polish that could be the Novus products 1 and 2 under a different name. Same color, same smell, same consistency.

BTW, I wet sanded my 1960 red sparkle Rogers drums with 400 emery cloth and up, and it really didn't do anything to the shine. A good cleaning and waxing is all you can really do, and if the wrap is scratched or cracked, you won't get past it.

RyanAnthony1013

RyanAnthony1013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Great! Thanks thebeebe5 and tommykat1! I'm going to polish up those parts this weekend as well as strengthen them, I'll be sure to post some pictures of the final product!

tommykat1

tommykat1

Drummer Excelsior

• Double Platinum
  • 9,058 posts
  • LocationOregon

Great! Thanks thebeebe5 and tommykat1! I'm going to polish up those parts this weekend as well as strengthen them, I'll be sure to post some pictures of the final product!

Be careful on the strengthening, as I'm guessing you don't have any lugs to practice with first, and those coffin lugs--even cracked--are as rare as diamonds. Just be sure to allow ample "wiggle room in the area where the lug nut sits on the inside of the lug. On assembly, the lug nut needs to wobble slightly to allow the tensioner to receive it.

RyanAnthony1013

RyanAnthony1013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

You're absolutely correct, I don't have any lugs to practice with, they all have their tabs though which is great. So after reading your thread on the process, would you recommend me really pushing the epoxy to a more "thin" layer where the lug nut is? Focus more on the corners? Thanks again for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users