Photo

What electronic drum set would you recommend for a beginner?

- - - - - drums electronic drums digital drums beginner drums set cheap drum set

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Drum_Guy

Drum_Guy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUSA

I am looking into buying the electronic drum set but nothing too fancy.

I need something that is budget friendly but I am not sure which is the best brand or model. 

The rubber pads are fine, I am looking for something that will be great for practice in my small apartment. 

I am not a professional drummer and probably never will be, I love drumming but I do it as a hoby with my friends who have their studio where I had a chance to play on acoustic drums. And now I would like to have my own drums but I am going with electronic ones because they are smaller, cheaper and sound friendly because I can use headphones or I will be kicked out of my apartment :D 

I googled and checked on youtube and what not but can't seem to decide.. 

Alesis, cheap Roland or cheap Yamaha choices.. So many of them.

Was there any particular drum set you got when you were a beginner or any set that is cheap and you would actually recommend it?

THANK YOU!! :)

drummergirlclothing

drummergirlclothing

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Locationjacksonville, Fl
Roland td-4. I would suggest looking around on Craigslist.

drumaniac

drumaniac

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 9,244 posts
  • LocationCanada
Yamaha DTXplorer been seeing them used lately under $300 Canadian

kaosotis

kaosotis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

The lower end Yamaha and Roland stuff is pretty similar, so you really just have see what you like and what's out there.

If you are looking for cheap, as in around $500 get a used Roland or Yamaha kit.  As mentioned, Roland TD4 kit is a good starting point, but might be more than $500.  TD6's are out there for that money.  Same with Yamaha 500 series.

If your budget is higher, look for a used TD9. For whatever use, I would say spending closer to $1k for a used TD9 kit with mesh pads is worth it (having used a lot of different kits).

FYI e-kits aren't always cheaper, just quieter.  You could easily get an okay starter kit w/cymbals for $500, would just be louder.  You could also get the Zildjian L80 cymbals and some mesh heads and your volume wouldn't be a whole lot more than a rubber pad ekit.

Drum_Guy

Drum_Guy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUSA

First of all THANK YOU for helping out!! 

I appreciate your messages!  :hello1:

I will check all of your recommendations on google now. But I am not looking for used drum set. its personal, I am afraid of buying used items because I had bad experiences in the past. 

I was strolling the Reddit and found this drum set buying guide http://www.musicalie...ronic-drum-set/ and I noticed how expensive sets can get. But I liked these two the Yamaha DTX400k and Alesis Nitro Kit they are cheap and seem nice for a beginner.

I don't know much, but these two seem like nice choices for now. If you could tell me your opinion on these two I would be most grateful.

But first I will of course check out the choices you proposed. Googling them now  :laughing5:

giraffe

giraffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationAZ

What's 'budget friendly' in your case?

When I bought my electric kit years ago I bought the Roland TD-6SXT. If I remember correctly I bought that one because it was their lowest model that had the all mesh heads.

I would highly recommend an all-mesh head model. It's actually quieter, and the feel of the kit is much closer to an acoustic set.

I don't know the history of Roland models, so there may be some discontinued ones you could search used for, but in their current lineup they have the TD-11KV, which has all mesh heads. It looks like new they go for $1600, but you could probably find used ones for around $1000.

Like someone else mentioned search craigslist for roland, and see what comes up.

Stickinthemud

Stickinthemud

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Keep in mind that Yamaha and Roland hold their value better than other brands. Nice to have a little boost when you decided to upgrade.

swarfrat

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV

• Members
  • 4,715 posts
If you're learning on an e-kit, i highly recommend L80's over electronic. Otherwise your foot is learning a skill only vaguely related to a real hi hat pedal

jfitz

jfitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCanada

Around 2009 I went out and bought a new Roland TD9SK (mesh heads) there is a standard TD9 with the rubber pads. I had played regularly in the mid 80's doing the bar circuit using a Pearl MX kit and then sold during the late 80's (should have kept them). Anyways, my son at the time was 15 and wanting to play drums so I jumped at the chance to get an electronic kit. (Nice and quiet) I checked them all out and the Roland seemed the best bet for add-ons, you can use a regular hihat stand with their upgraded hihat cymbal setup and the downloadable sounds you can purchase online from a site called Vexpressions is amazing. It really wakes up the controller. You should be able to pickup a used setup anywhere from $800-$1200 depending on condition. I have since sold the Rolands and went back to a acoustic kit (Used Pearl Masters Studio). I live out in the country so I have no one to complain (except my wife). If I were to get another set of electronics, it would be Roland

flow_2015

flow_2015

• Members
  • 1 posts

I think you can find what you´re looking for in this electronic drum set buying guide. 

You´ll find the best options available for different price points. 

Hope it helps!

mtg1959

mtg1959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Locationst paul Minn

My first electronic kit was the Yamaha DTXtreme II's. I now have the the DTXtreme II brain and am using the Pearl Tru Trac triggers. They work well with the Yamaha brain and they can install on any acoustic kit. The feel is really good .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drums, electronic drums, digital drums, beginner drums set, cheap drum set

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users