• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Lazmo

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...

• Members
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationAustralia

This week my teacher said he can always tell when he's giving a lesson to a drummer because even when we misfret a chord, we're still keeping time and changing chords on time.

... and after all... it is your user name  :icon_smile:

Olderschool

Olderschool

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • LocationUsa

I was a drummer first and then started playing guitar later. It has made me a much better drummer now because I am now playing for the song.

I'll echo what Rhythmace said about learning theory with a keyboard. As you progress you will probably want to get good at reading music and keyboard is a must for staff reading skills and understanding the theory. I for one have the personality that isn't satisfied with knowing patterns on the guitar without the theory behind it.

Enjoy yourself. I now gig at least once a week playing guitar and love it. Yes, it has cut back on my drum practice time but I believe it's a positive tradeoff as it will make you a better "musician" and open up more possibilities.

& You Dont Stop

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85

• Gold
  • 3,929 posts
  • LocationWichita Falls, Texas

would it be a good idea to get in the habit of freting an open G chord with pinky on high E and ring finger on low E?

Edited by & You Dont Stop, 15 March 2017 - 08:04 AM.

tris66

tris66

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Location3rd world

would it be a good idea to get in the habit of freting an open G chord with pinky on high E and ring finger on low E?

What are you trying to accomplish? The most used way of playing that chord is is with the ring finger on the 3rd fret G on the high E string. Using your pinky frees up your middle finger to add a note and change the chord. For example make a G with your pinky like you were saying then put your ring finger on the 3rd fret of the D string. Boom, you have a G7. So using your pinky might give you some options out of the 'norm.'

It gets down to the question of usefulness. What is better for what you are going to do? If you want to make a habit you might want to make the habit of being able to do both. Kind of like practicing sticking patterns/rudiments. You want your sticks to be able to land anywhere on the kit they are needed at the proper time and you need your fingers to be able to go anywhere on the fret board anytime they are needed. My opinion is practice both.

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,308 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

You need to learn both positions. For one reason, the new G, with the ring finger on the D of the second string, is popular. Also the position with the ring finger on the  G (6th string) allows all kinds of neat stuff. You can go back and forth between G and C real easy and fast. It also frees your index and middle finger to add notes. Add the C on the second string and the E on the 4th string. Hammer off and on with those two fingers while holding the G. Ace

P.S. Reminder- that G with the D on the second string is the opening chord for "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away." G   D   F   G

Edited by rhythmace, 15 March 2017 - 03:30 PM.

lurchbird

lurchbird

• Members
  • 1 posts

This is my first post back after a hiatus...

I basically put my drums away for a few years to focus on raising three little kids, but I wanted to keep playing an instrument. My boys are into scouts, so I taught myself to play a 4-string guitar, called a Tenor Guitar (23 inch scale length), to play songs around the campfire. 4 strings was easier to learn than 6 strings, and I tuned it like the high 4 strings on a regular guitar, DGBE (there are no bass strings), to make it easier to learn songs/chord shapes via the Internet. I'm now looking to get back into drumming. I'm sure I will approach the set differently than I did in the past. For anyone looking to try a string instrument, if you can't find a tenor guitar (they are harder to find and can be expensive), try a Baritone Ukulele, which at a 21 inch scale length and also tuned DGBE, can still produce a decent sound that doesn't come across like Tiny Tim.

Mark

Edited by lurchbird, 16 March 2017 - 10:59 PM.

& You Dont Stop

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85

• Gold
  • 3,929 posts

Thanks for the input guys.

& You Dont Stop

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85

• Gold
  • 3,929 posts

I'm on my 5th lesson and my teacher is having me playing the chord progression to Autumn Leaves. He says its his way of familiarizing me with chords that students "get stuck on" or never take the time to learn

stuff like Amin7, D9, Gmaj7, Bdom 7

He assured me we'll eventually get back to rock n roll

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,308 posts

I am messing with "California Girls" on guitar. Found it on Youtube. Guitar can be such a blast. Ace

freddycharles

freddycharles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew york
Best thing you'll ever do for your drumming is playing guitar.

freddycharles

freddycharles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew york
Best thing you'll ever do for your drumming is playing guitar.

& You Dont Stop

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85

• Gold
  • 3,929 posts

Check out the PRS SE I bought a few days ago

Attached Files

• Attached File  prso.JPG   86.32KB   0 downloads

tris66

tris66

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Location3rd world

Check out the PRS SE I bought a few days ago.

Very nice.

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,308 posts

Here is a thought. Train your right hand early, to pick at the same time you fret. It set me back to finger a note, then think about picking. Now I move my pick at the same time I move my left hand. You think that your left hand is slow, but it's fast and the picking hand can be slower than you think. Ace

P.S. Nice looking guitar. 

Edited by rhythmace, 01 May 2017 - 03:36 PM.

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,308 posts

How is it going? Was I right about everything as usual? Ace

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

Hey & You Don't Stop, Isn't that the Opeth moniker on that guitar?

Edited by bigbonzo, 26 July 2017 - 01:42 PM.

martyjflash

martyjflash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Learning guitar along with my daughter, fun!

& You Dont Stop

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85

• Gold
  • 3,929 posts

Hey & You Don't Stop, Isn't that the Opeth moniker on that guitar?

yup

https://reverb.com/i...LNx_D_BwE&pla=1

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

Very kool!  They're one of my favorite bands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users