• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

GeneZ

GeneZ

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I was just saying, it takes no training to play that way.  No new discipline needs to be mastered.

And I have to completely disagree with you on this matter.  If you were to take a person with no drumming experience at all and sit them in front of a drum you would have to teach them absolutely everything from scratch.  There is way more to drumming than learning how to hold sticks.  How you hold the stick is one very minor detail in what it means to actually "play" the drums.  Put that totally green person in front of a kit and tell them to play with traditional grip and they will sound like s***.  Tell them to play with matched grip and guess what will happen?  They will still sound like s***.  

It's not the grip that takes discipline, its sitting down at the drums and practicing that takes discipline.  Its not like matched grip players get a pass on practicing because they chose the "lazy" grip.

People who sit down behind a drum set for the fun of it?  When left on their own always resort to matched grip of some kind.    

Ironic timing... Who's being closed minded now?  I can play matched grip, and have at times...  You can not tell there is not a difference in approach in playing unless your traditional grip playing is limited.  Or?  You have no need for the kind of playing which is best for traditional.

When I am "hugging" my drums I play traditional.   When I am having them played at a distance, I then resort to matched... like when playing loud beats on my floor toms for a song.  I just can not "snug up" to my snare when playing matched....  That locked down feeling.  Arms have to be too extended to do so.

GeneZ

GeneZ

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Interesting lesson...... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users