• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

BBeyer

BBeyer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,184 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
A Facebook post about Moonie got me looking into this.
This guy on Facebook claimed that Moon was playing so poorly by the time WAY was made, they brought Kenny Jones in to overdub hi hats.
I was never a fan of Jones' fit in The Who and took this to heart sort of.
Anyway, has anyone heard of these claims?
This forum mentions a lot about that last album but I haven't found anything regarding hired guns that played percussion parts

http://forums.steveh...n.187843/page-3

BBeyer

BBeyer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,184 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
Attached File  IMG_3333.PNG   143.83KB   0 downloads

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 15,044 posts
  • LocationRed River

Seems to be some opinionated debates regarding this rumor.

If you care to read thru the 847 viewer comments under this video it may provide more insight into what's what.

Personally, I couldn't care less because it's a sloppy drum track no matter who played it.

Treviso1

Treviso1

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I'm not sure if that is true, however, you can hear "punches" throughout the "Who Are You" album with cymbals disappearing or coming in inexplicably. As you can see from my moniker picture, I am a Keith Moon fan, but even the engineering punches are bad. He was clearly on the decline. That same spark that was present on "Tommy" and Who's Next" was gone. I really don't think that Kenny is on there, however, because Kieth had brought back the hi hats for Quadrophenia and had them on the kit live from 1973 on...

Edited by Treviso1, 20 March 2017 - 07:11 AM.

Rhythm Devil

Rhythm Devil

• Silver
  • 360 posts
  • LocationNH
I think that track kicks ass.

Polska

Polska

Advanced Forum Guru

• Silver
  • 1,606 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY

I think that track kicks ass.

Agreed! I still love hearing it

MrDrums2112

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer

• Gold
  • 3,440 posts
  • LocationTolland, CT
Sounds great in the context of the entire song. Isolated, yeah it is a mess in some places, but its classic Moon. I never thought he had declined when listening to that track. However, if you look at his physical condition during that time, I'm not so sure he could have even made it through a major tour. That surely must have affected his playing. Anyway, that's my take on it. God bless Keith Moon.

vinnyrac63

vinnyrac63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I can't speak to this particular issue, but I've long suspected/believed that many, many of the recordings we consider as pivotal and great and examples of creative or technical virtuosity, were really miracles of engineering and production.   As years pass and these guys leave the earth, I'm sure we will hear more such stories.  I would suspect that the only "authentic" recordings are the ones that utilized studio greats (the wrecking crew, the swampers) or that featured a few overhead mics while the entire band played live so you get the musical warts mixed in with the gems.  

bolweevil

bolweevil

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,568 posts
  • LocationEau Claire, WI

I'm not sure if that is true, however, you can hear "punches" throughout the "Who Are You" album with cymbals disappearing or coming in inexplicably. As you can see from my moniker picture, I am a Keith Moon fan, but even the engineering punches are bad. He was clearly on the decline. That same spark that was present on "Tommy" and Who's Next" was gone. I really don't think that Kenny is on there, however, because Kieth had brought back the hi hats for Quadrophenia and had them on the kit live from 1973 on...

I only gave it a quick listen, but I didn't hear the punches you mentioned.  I'm always on the lookout for obvious punch-ins on famous tunes---where did you hear them?

Treviso1

Treviso1

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Start with "Guitar and Pen"... Listen closely with a good pair of headphones and you'll hear them. Go from to to bottom on that album and you will hear them.

bolweevil

bolweevil

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,568 posts
  • LocationEau Claire, WI

Start with "Guitar and Pen"... Listen closely with a good pair of headphones and you'll hear them. Go from to to bottom on that album and you will hear them.

Ah, I thought you were referring solely to the video clip above.  I'll check it out.

There's a Metallica song on the 'Load' album with a 'disappearing crash', just like what you are talking about. 

Edited by bolweevil, 20 March 2017 - 09:49 AM.

Rich K.

Rich K.

Drummer Excelsior

• Platinum
  • 8,957 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA

I loved Kenny Jones in the Who. Am I the only one?

kip

kip

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,180 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh Pa USA

I remember reading an interview w Toenshend or Entwistle decades ago about Who Are You. I believe on one track, 
Music Must Change,  they had to use a different drummer because Moon had trouble w the tune

Rich K.

Rich K.

Drummer Excelsior

• Platinum
  • 8,957 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA

I remember reading an interview w Toenshend or Entwistle decades ago about Who Are You. I believe on one track, 
Music Must Change,  they had to use a different drummer because Moon had trouble w the tune

Just listened to that song...don't think there are any drums...just tambourine and cymbal swells.

Bun Carlos

Bun Carlos

Pro

• Platinum
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationCaledonia, Illinois

Kenney Jones drummed on some/all of the four new tunes they put on the Quadrophenia OST recording around that time.

Maybe people are referencing that?

MrDrums2112

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer

• Gold
  • 3,440 posts
  • LocationTolland, CT

Nope - I thought he was great with The Who. I used to love the "Who's Last" live album, from their early 80s "farewell" tour. I wish I could find it on CD or download somewhere.

Treviso1

Treviso1

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Yes, you might be the only one! :-)

In all seriousness, it was just a different band with Kenny. I like Kenny and he's a great pocket player, but The Who had lost their way by then. He should have been a solo artist fun that point on, IMHO.

A J

A J

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,164 posts
  • LocationRockford, Michigan

That makes two of us.  I actually preferred Kenny's drumming over Keith's.  

Treviso1

Treviso1

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I love ya both... But you both just pulled into Crazytown! :-)

Come on.. can you imagine "Who's Next" with Kenny? No you can't because it would have sucked!

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,107 posts
  • LocationBluegrass of Kentucky

I can't speak to this particular issue, but I've long suspected/believed that many, many of the recordings we consider as pivotal and great and examples of creative or technical virtuosity, were really miracles of engineering and production. As years pass and these guys leave the earth, I'm sure we will hear more such stories. I would suspect that the only "authentic" recordings are the ones that utilized studio greats (the wrecking crew, the swampers) or that featured a few overhead mics while the entire band played live so you get the musical warts mixed in with the gems.

Well-said. I agree with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users