• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

APelletier

APelletier

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,920 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

I was so disappointed when I saw the movie Tommy… NOTHING like the soundtrack album, which was brilliant! Solid work by Kenny in that one for sure!

Edited by APelletier, 21 March 2017 - 08:23 AM.

Bandit

Bandit

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  • LocationCanada

great players or NOT... Or a bit ropey..
But that's where the MAGIC comes from..
A combination of characters making music together in a specific way at a specific time and all had their part to play or it wouldn't be the finished product we all loved!!!
Magic happens cause of a group of random guys that happen to create magic together.. the jigsaw would be incomplete without each person.. Ringo.. Charlie.. moonie.. Bonham.. Mason...Peart....:)

Fixed.  

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,161 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

here is another outtake 

It could be argued that these versions out there are marginally better at a view of production techniques than they are examples of Keith Moon's (and the other guys') playing. My opinion is that they were free in the studio to roll tape, so much of their "mistakes" were never intended for public consumption. If Jones played some Hihat, that is irrelevant in my mind. 

Edited by Pounder, 21 March 2017 - 08:16 AM.

Pounder

Pounder

• Members
  • 11,161 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

You can see his drumming decline in the Shepperton Studios footage in The Kids Are Alright (Won't Get Fooled Again/Baba O'Reilly). He was winded, bloated and obviously over-coked up. He looked like he just wanted to get off the stage. It was a far cry from his (generally) good performance at Kilburn just 6 months earlier. But the band disliked their overall performance so much that they had Jeff Stein re-shoot everything for the movie at Shepperton. He had really lost a lot in that short time.

It kills me that some of the very best footage of the band is also Keith at his absolute worst.

I once read a Daltrey interview where he said Keith was weeping at his appearance in the rushes and wanted to take up Roger's suggestion to help him clean up and start exercising to lose the weight and get back in decent shape. Alas, he ended up accidentally OD'ing on the drug that was supposed to get him off the alcohol.

Very sad. What a beautiful genius at the drums.

APelletier

APelletier

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,920 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

The candle burnt from both ends lasts only half as long… I wouldn't say decline. I'd say running out of wick.

BBeyer

BBeyer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

I was so disappointed when I saw the movie Tommy… NOTHING like the soundtrack album, which was brilliant! Solid work by Kenny in that one for sure!

Ive seen bits and pieces of Tommy and knew the soundtrack music was different than the album music, but I wasnt aware that so many different musicians worked on the film soundtrack!

https://en.wikipedia...my_(soundtrack)

cwdrums

cwdrums

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 875 posts
  • LocationMeridian, Idaho

here is another outtake 

It could be argued that these versions out there are marginally better at a view of production techniques than they are examples of Keith Moon's (and the other guys') playing. My opinion is that they were free in the studio to roll tape, so much of their "mistakes" were never intended for public consumption. If Jones played some Hihat, that is irrelevant in my mind. 

Raw energetic playing, always loved his style. "Who Are You"  is Pete referencing God or the Sex Pistols? Believe I read that somewhere a long time ago.

Coy 

Pounder

Pounder

• Members
  • 11,161 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Here's some context, Live at Kilburn 1977:  

and here's probably the best-known Kenny Jones showcase with lots of radio play:

APelletier

APelletier

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,920 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Ive seen bits and pieces of Tommy and knew the soundtrack music was different than the album music, but I wasnt aware that so many different musicians worked on the film soundtrack!

https://en.wikipedia...my_(soundtrack)

The original Who album, Tommy - the original soundtrack ALBUM, Tommy - the music heard as you watch Tommy the movie??  3 totally different animals!! But yes…  Absolutely! Eric Clapton and Tina Turner come to mind with Kenny Jones on drums and he just crushes it on these two tunes IMHO… a nod to Kenny with the cool opening barrage and hat barking in Eyesight to the Blind as well as an extremely raucous role in the Acid Queen!!!!

Edited by APelletier, 21 March 2017 - 10:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users