- - - - - Slingerland advice help drum Vintage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

ChrisMcguire

ChrisMcguire

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPerthAndover NB Canada
I found this old slingerland at an elementary school near me, and I am very interested in buying it to be used as a snare on my drum kit. All I know so far is that it's made November 1964 and it looks to be around 14x10. It's also a marching snare. Any info on the wood, hardware, and if this drum would be a good buy would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Attached Files

mfryed2112

mfryed2112

Drummer Excelsior

• Gold
  • 9,992 posts
  • LocationPRO FOOTBALL HALL of FAME CITY
Same shell as all slingerland drums from that time period, a good buy would be no more than 100.00

ChrisMcguire

ChrisMcguire

• Members
  • 3 posts

Same shell as all slingerland drums from that time period, a good buy would be no more than 100.00

what wood would this be made of? Maple perhaps?

Slingerland3ply

Slingerland3ply

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationWI

Maple inside ,poplar in the middle , then mahogany. That WMP looks like it is in great shape . No yellowing.

VintageUSA

VintageUSA

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • LocationThe South

I have a (JULY) 1964 Slingerland 5X14 snare that looks very much the same.

My shell is a 3-ply with re-rings..............it was marketed as a "student" model (6-lugger).

I don't know about the middle ply but the other two look to be maple.

bharrington

bharrington

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

3ply maple/poplar/maple with maple rerings. Slingerland seemed to do away with a mahogany interior by the early 60's ('63ish if I'm not mistaken)

Hardware down to the tension rods look right to me. The "gut" wire snares are sweet. I would even be interested in it if you pass.

I love Slingerland WMP - especially the stuff they used in the 50's and 60's before going with a different style in the 70's.

I would say under $100 is a good deal, assuming there are no issues, extra holes, etc.

Edited by bharrington, 20 March 2017 - 06:14 PM.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,601 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

bharrington nailed it......

MDBDrum

MDBDrum

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 715 posts
  • LocationChicago Suburbs
$100-$175. Retail at a store would probably be $200-$250

SlingyFan

SlingyFan

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 649 posts

3ply maple/poplar/maple with maple rerings. Slingerland seemed to do away with a mahogany interior by the early 60's ('63ish if I'm not mistaken)

You are correct around 63 they did away with mahogany inner ply, but all wrapped drums still had an outer ply of mahogany as it accepted the glue better than maple. Only duco and natural finish drums had an outer ply of maple. The OPs drum is mahogany/poplar/maple.

bharrington

bharrington

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Maple inside ,poplar in the middle , then mahogany. That WMP looks like it is in great shape . No yellowing.

You are correct around 63 they did away with mahogany inner ply, but all wrapped drums still had an outer ply of mahogany as it accepted the glue better than maple. Only duco and natural finish drums had an outer ply of maple. The OPs drum is mahogany/poplar/maple.

My apologies to 3ply and Slingyfan - I was thinking so much about the inner ply and read 3ply's post "backwards" in regards to layout. These guys are absolutely correct.

Edited by bharrington, 21 March 2017 - 08:44 AM.

ChrisMcguire

ChrisMcguire

• Members
  • 3 posts
The drum is in extremely great condition as it had been sitting around for years on end, in a back room. Thank you guys for all the info!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Slingerland, advice, help, drum, Vintage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users