- - - - - in the details

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location28027

I am about to build my first full set of drums. A small set but a set none the less. I am interested in the details that make a shell pack sound "OK",.. or "wow those sound fantastic"

I know the shell material has an impact,.. don't really want to talk about woods.. (this will be a thin ply kit of maple, with a single outer ply of some exotic to get a more dynamic look than plain maple)

As of late, it seems alot of people are going with a less aggressive bearing edge to get the sound we now seem to look for,.. like a inner 45, outer 45 with a slight round over.   Thoughts on this?

Im reading things like "no rubber gaskets to isolate lugs as they can mute vibration from the shell",.. Is there much to this? anyone ever actually test it?

Don't want to go over woods, but shell thickness maybe,..  Seems the better sounding toms these days are on the thin side.. your thoughts?  (My Tama BB's are quite thin)

Hoops,.. on toms? How much impact? Alot on snares yes,.. toms? your thoughts?

any other "details" that drive to that high end sound?

Thanks..

Houndog

Houndog

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

I'm intrigued by the smaller diameter theory of the shell itself, I had a set of Signias built like that ,and I see Sonor is doing it to..

Redbeard77

Redbeard77

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Shell thickness and bearing edge are big factors in sound. But there are great sounding kits with sharp 45 degree edges, and great ones with rounded 30 degree edges. I prefer rounded edges for a more vintage sound, but it's just preference.

Hoops and hardware play a role, lighter helps with resonance if that's what you want, but it's obviously easier to experiment with different hoops after the fact vs shell construction.

While great sound is subjective, I think quality hardware that allows for easy, precise tuning is something that separates lower level kits from better gear.

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location28027

thanks for the replies,..  though I had hoped for more... maybe these are "trade secrets" I'm asking for,.. (joke)

ludwigjim

ludwigjim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNJ

Check out what Josh Allen is doing with his INDE drum lab drums. Thin light weight shells and fantastic light weight hardware.

Drum have a nice warm round tone and are simple.

Great stuff.

mfryed2112

mfryed2112

Drummer Excelsior

• Gold
  • 9,950 posts
  • LocationPRO FOOTBALL HALL of FAME CITY
Rerings?

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location28027

Well I pretty much decided on maple shells with an outer ply of walnut as I like am a bit tired of the plain maple shell look. Man I wish I could buy some of those Indie lugs. As the shells are thin I am am going with lugs with 2 mounting points. Probably do a tung oil with urethane top coat for a finish.. steel hoops on the toms..

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,470 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

What type of music?  What sizes?

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location28027
90s rock. 12 16 22.

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location28027
Probly use an indie tom mount.

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location28027

Well,.. the maple shell pack pretty much fell through. I don't think I could get the guy to deliver.  SO I'm rolling the dice with another shell maker,.. NOT Keller.. not because they are bad,. but because I think they are over priced and too common,.. Going with a Beech wood shell pack,.. found a sale going.. I had been looking at them for a while... wife is gonna be PISSED..

Here's a pic of the shells..

german-beech-4-1-600x408.jpg

Edited by anthony marquart, 12 April 2017 - 04:15 PM.

mfryed2112

mfryed2112

Drummer Excelsior

• Gold
  • 9,950 posts
What are the specs on those shells

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location28027
7 and 9 ply beech.

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location28027
I received my shells from Barton drum co. So far I am very pleased. The drums are very well made , seams are very good. I can find no signs of being out if round. The grain of the beech wood is very very nice. The shells have a very nice tone to them. They quite smooth already. Grain texture is different than others. Not sure if I'll fill the grain or not. I'll post progress

Neal Pert

Neal Pert

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 935 posts

I'd suspect that your best strategy would be to reverse-engineer from a kit you think sounds great.  So, Beech?  Beech Customs, old Sonors, etc will provide good examples of how to get a great sound starting where you are.  Hard to think of it in abstract.

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location28027

Neal,..

never thought of it that way but I suppose that is a good idea,.. I bought the beech for a couple reasons.. This the first full kit I am building and the price on beech was the low cost option.. Not sure why that is,.. From what I have read the tonality of beech falls between maple and birch,.. not sure why it would not be more popular.. Second is that I want to have a kit with a natual finish and the grain of beech is much more dynamic than maple or birch..

Im not looking for a real "classic" sound either.. more of a 90's rock sound.. NOT a grunge sound,.. more a Rock, little on the heavy side side but not to a heavy metal sound..

I also have begin to think that almost any quality drum can be massaged with heads and tuning to get about any type sound your looking for.. you can't polish a turd,.. but I really am starting to think that most quality drums with the right combo of heads and tuning will get you anywhere from classic rock to bop...

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location28027
Beechy

Attached Files

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location28027
Should the bass drum hoops match

mfryed2112

mfryed2112

Drummer Excelsior

• Gold
  • 9,950 posts
Yes

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location28027

ok then,.. clear only on the hoops as well.. I think the hoops will be the most difficult to spray.. ,.. Man,.. a bass drum is bigger than you thought when you have to sand and paint it..

I think I have just about got this clear coat thing down,.. these came out the best of all..

Edited by anthony marquart, 22 April 2017 - 09:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users