• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

DrumBob

DrumBob

Drummer Excelsior

• Banned
  • 8,676 posts
  • Locationnorthwest NJ
Where were the Slingerland Spirit series drums made? They look Asian offshore to me. Some guy on craigslist is trying to sell a set for $950 and insists they were made in Niles, IL.

moonpalace

moonpalace

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA
I think some were made in the U.S. (out of their regular shells with no re-rings and sharp bearing edges) and later ones were made overseas.

My experience with Slingerland is USA does not always equal good and import does not always equal bad!

shilohjim

shilohjim

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • Locationshiloh, nj
The early spirits were USA made and very good drums despite the Pearl style tom mounting system. The later ones were luan shelled and made in Taiwan.

st3ady

st3ady

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • LocationCalgary
I saw that pewter wrapped kit on Craigslist - judging by the serial numbers, they would be Algonquin, Illinois era (84-86) USA Slingys (right before the Gretsch purchase), except as pointed, out the Pearl inspired tom mounts, which were stock on the first generation Spirits, as were the 3 ply shells with no rings, and a 5-ply bass drum. The earliest Spirits also had clear maple interiors, while later versions had spray coated interiors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users