• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Tilter

Tilter

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

I've been watching a bunch of Josh Dion / Paris Monster footage over the last few weeks and I find myself really wanting a DSI Mopho to compose backing tracks with. I love the sounds that it produces and the compact size would work well in my drum room. I have zero background with keys but feel like I could be creative with it. 

Does anyone own and play a Mopho or a similar analog synth? I'm curious about basic amp and recording set ups.

jmpd_utoronto

jmpd_utoronto

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 670 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm not familiar with the particular synth you're talking about, but I had the chance to spend a couple of weeks with a Yamaha Reface CS analog synth.  Compact but can do lots of cool stuff, and the price is very reasonable.  I'm not nearly enough into that world to know how it stacks up to others, but I've heard from people much more knowledgeable than I that it is a great product for (relatively) little money.

Alan_

Alan_

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationAustin

I have my old trusty MemoryMoog and a Roland JX-3P. Both cool in their own right. Everything else I have is either digital or software-based. The cool thing about the Roland is that it will send and receive MIDI. One of the first keyboards ever made that came with MIDI ports...

Tilter

Tilter

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Thanks for the input, gents. Continuing to look around... I think I'm opening a big 'ol can of worms.  :help:  :laughing5:

exwag

exwag

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I'll put a word in for 2 modern analog synths I had and enjoyed. Moog Little Phatty Stage II and Korg Minilogue. The Minilogue in particular has incredible features for under $500 and makes a great intro to analog synths. 

apcpa2000

apcpa2000

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

I bought a Moog Sub37 last summer.  I haven't recorded anything with it yet, but its a ton of fund to play around with when I have the time.

Woody85

Woody85

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
I currently own one synth and that's a Roland JX-3P. I bought it years ago for peanuts. The prices have gotten a bit out of hand since then. It's got some great tones but I wouldn't consider it ultra fat or fast. Great for pads and some leads though!

charlesm

charlesm

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationNY-metro

I have three analogs here:

Roland Juno-60 (very warm, velvety tone)

Roland JX-3P (a little thinner and "steelier"...a great cousin and compliment to the Juno)

Moog Prodigy (killer fat, round Moog tone--'nuff said)

The Juno and JX were boards I lusted over when I was much younger and into electronic music. Around 7 years ago I got very interested in that music again and decided to finally pick up those boards.

It was a good move. They are very inspirational instruments and I have since composed/recorded a lot of music with them.

The Prodigy was owned by some friends and was sitting dormant in their basement, so I made an offer one day and they took it. Also a very inspirational and wonderful-sounding instrument, with the traditional Moog ladder filter and structure. That old-school Moog sound is a sound like no other.

I have to say, though, that we are truly living in a renaissance age of analog synthesizers--something I never expected to see. There are amazing boards out there, from the new Moog products to the Dave Smith (and NEW Sequential!) stuff. And then Korg brought out an MS-20 again and the ARP Odyssey had a reintroduction, etc. It is almost hard to believe that these instruments are reappearing. An amazing time for analog fans.

If you couldn't tell, I do love analog synths and electronic sound. :)

Anyway, I'd advise you to do a lot of research into what will work best for you given the bounty of available choices. But I heartily recommend picking up SOMETHING, because these are all, again, inspirational instruments and a lot of fun, if you're into that kind of thing.

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,333 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Wow sorry I didn't see your topic until now. Yeah there are some great synths being made right now, and there has been a resurgence in analog stuff. All the DSI stuff I would consider worthy of exploration. I found a used Poly Evolver keyboard a couple of years ago, they're awesome and very versatile, although they're half digital and half analog. There are some digital processors and ad/da converters in there but I think honestly it was solid attempt by Dave Smith to bring a very fresh approach to synths. He largely succeeds but it has a learning curve with the sequencer etc.. I still need to spend time trying to program it. 

I also own a Juno  60! I have the programmer they made with them too. A very good investment for the Juno 60. 

I have owned a JX/3P and recommend getting a PG-200 if you have one, otherwise editing parameters is a bitch. 

There is a very deep amount of sound programming you can learn with analog synths, so yes it could be a can of worms but I consider it more like a whole new dimension in sound. 

Keyboard players can easily transition into synthland but There are several famous artists who were chicken-pecking keys to play their music. 

Your budget should be a consideration. For the money I like the MicroKorg. It is a modeling synth though not true analog. 

Artura Micro- and Minibrutes are both really cool under $500 synths. Also apparently Behringer has released a hardware analog Minimoog copy module. It is very attractively priced. 

You could get into Modular building and stuff like that, with patch cables and routing possibilities limited only by your own motivation. 

There are many famous and not so famous synths that are still great instruments today. 

Minimoog model D

Other Moog mostly analog synths, Micromoog, Multimoog, 

Sequential Pro One, 

Roland made a bunch of now-classic synths that are great sounding when working properly:

SH-1, SH-2, SH-101, (there are many others), Juno-6, Juno-60, Juno-106, Jupiter4, Jupiter 6, Etc..

Oberheim made lots of great synths. 

You can find newer stuff on a budget as mentioned the Artura and Behringer synths, there are others. 

If you can try something out prior to purchase, you might find an interface that you feel like works. Who knows, maybe playing synth along with drums will jolt you into a more creative and fun experimental zone. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users