Photo

Chicago Show! What are you bringing and/or looking for?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Jolo

Jolo

• Platinum
  • 378 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Looks like I'm offering for sale a Slingerland Black Beauty and Billy Gladstone snare drum,  a complete 1950 WMP Knob Tension set,

a mint late 90's Gretsch Maple (Virgin Jasper shells) 18, 10, 12, 14,  an almost new INDe Maple 20, 12, 14, 5x14,  

and a CamcoTuxedo Lemonade Sparkle 20, 12, 14.

I'm also bringing a new drum invention (Patent Pending) to get some highly valued opinions on.  

See ya at the Big Show!

Jolo

Edited by Jolo, 18 May 2017 - 11:55 AM.

trixonian

trixonian

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,475 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Super stoked about going - I will be there with a Premier "Ringo" kit.

Ickybaby

Ickybaby

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNormal, IL

I'm going to bring a bunch of fire sale items with me. I will have an Acrolite, an Olympic snare kit, some Slingerland and Ludwig stands, a 28" WFLbass drum, a 12x15 Ludwig keystone badge marcher, a blue sparkle Slingerland 8x12, a couple cymbals, some other marchers (with p-83's) I got recently, some calf heads,  a 6-1/2x14 Supersensitive shell with all the lugs and partial snare assembly, and a lot of other stuff.

Cheap - Cheap - Cheap.

Send me an IM if you want to hook up at some point to see any of it. I will be at the show on Saturday around noon.

KCDrumDad

KCDrumDad

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationKansas City
What booth ickybaby?

I picked up some Ludwig odds and ends to go with a new set I bought yesterday.

MLayton

MLayton

Drummer

• Double Platinum
  • 30,718 posts

My good buddy Nevin Surface has a booth this year. Wish I could have been there to help him with it. I think another friend Allen Lewis is helping him with it as well. Be sure to stop by. Great guys and should have some great stuff as well. 

Attached Files

Edited by MLayton, 19 May 2017 - 11:19 PM.

NewVintage

NewVintage

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Mo

I can't make it but looking for Ludwig 16" NOB hoops and a NOB internal muffler for my set of 62's.  If anyone has any leads or sees them please pm me.

Enjoy the show everyone!

DolFan54

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot

• Members
  • 10,927 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, CA.
I picked up this 12x15 GW marching snare drum today.

D1148ADF-7849-4F4D-A072-75B889812B06_zps

Edited by DolFan54, 20 May 2017 - 12:11 AM.

Ickybaby

Ickybaby

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNormal, IL
Ya know...... you'd think at a drum show you wouldn't hear complaints about volume...... but then again, who's the brainiac that has a guitar show going on next door.

Jeesh.

DolFan54

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

Ya know...... you'd think at a drum show you wouldn't hear complaints about volume...... but then again, who's the brainiac that has a guitar show going on next door.

Jeesh.

I'm not a fan of snare drum olympics at the show. I want to thank Rob Cook for the continued announcements throughout the day about volume. Sunday got very loud for some reason!

KCDrumDad

KCDrumDad

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Got back to Kansas City late Sunday after spending the weekend looking at drums, talking to drummers and attending clinics.  I bought some Gretsch, Ludwig and Rogers parts that I needed for existing projects and a Rocket brand MIJ Red pearl snare project.  My drum weekend started early, finding a circa 1965 Super Classic set in Oyster Black Pearl at an estate sale in Kansas before leaving home.  My wonderful wife picked it up while my son and I were on the plane to Chicago Friday morning.  She even did a decent job of setting it up in the living room by herself (she is not a drummer).  

My son and I spent several hours documenting serial numbers/date stamps and other information from Ludwig and Gretsch drums on display/for sale at various booths.  People thought my documentation efforts were a little strange, but understood once I explained why I was doing it.  Some recognized my dating guides and were happy to help.

I met several forum members that I had only known by their member names before.  Great to meet Surface, Allenl55, CSR, JoeyBoom and a few others whose names I cannot remember right now (sorry).  I renewed contact with K.O., DrumKat, Randy Rainwater, Lou Perdomo, Brian Drugan, Rob Henry, Matt at Matt's Vintage Drums, Bob Campbell, Phil Madiera, most of whom are members here, but I forget some of their member names.  I also had brief sightings/quick hellos with TroyH, RickP, Ricco, Bun E, Mark Cooper, Mike Curotto, Swen and Jorma and others.  Had a few nice conversations with Lee Ruff about - what else -vintage Gretsch drums. Nice to see Gary Astridge again and hear his latest talk on Ringo gear.  He has some interesting new projects going.  We did not have enough time to catch up, as Gary was very much in demand this year.  Got to help out Wes owner of Explorers Percussion, my local drum store in Kansas City.  He was manning his booth alone.  Met Brian Hill and his wife, who had a great display of rope tension drums upstairs by the clinic space.  Also talked with Jeff Davenport, who was manning the Remo booth and gave a clinic on tuning.  He is a big fan of my dating guides, and it is always a thrill for me to meet someone who likes my work.

After going to the show a few times before, I am finally feeling like I know some people and have figured out the flow of the weekend.  Several good clinics and clinicians.  Lots of after show activities, including the Drum Day clinics and an open house a Drugan's Drums on Saturday.

I was thrilled by a chance encounter with Richard (D**k) Schory, who was with Ludwig during the Ringo years.  He shared some interesting tidbits from his amazing career.  I hope to follow up that conversation with a few additional questions about what Ludwig was doing during that time with serial numbers, date stamps and Date Codes.

Fun weekend.  If you have never been to a drum show, you should go at least once.

Edited by KCDrumDad, 25 May 2017 - 10:07 AM.

DolFan54

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

Got back to Kansas City late Sunday after spending the weekend looking at drums, talking to drummers and attending clinics. I bought some Gretsch, Ludwig and Rogers parts that I needed for existing projects and a Rocket brand MIJ Red pearl snare project. My drum weekend started early, finding a circa 1965 Super Classic set in Oyster Black Pearl at an estate sale in Kansas before leaving home. My wonderful wife picked it up while my son and I were on the plane to Chicago Friday morning. She even did a decent job of setting it up in the living room by herself (she is not a drummer).

My son and I spent several hours documenting serial numbers/date stamps and other information from Ludwig and Gretsch drums on display/for sale at various booths. People thought my documentation efforts were a little strange, but understood once I explained why I was doing it. Some recognized my dating guides and were happy to help.

I met several forum members that I had only known by their member names before. Great to meet Surface, Allenl55, CSR, JoeyBoom and a few others whose names I cannot remember right now (sorry). I renewed contact with K.O., DrumKat, Randy Rainwater, Lou Perdomo, Brian Drugan, Rob Henry, Matt at Matt's Vintage Drums, Bob Campbell, Phil Madiera, most of whom are members here, but I forget some of their member names. I also had brief sightings/quick hellos with TroyH, RickP, Bun E, Mark Cooper, Mike Curotto, Swen and Jorma and others. Had a few nice conversations with Lee Ruff about - what else -vintage Gretsch drums. Nice to see Gary Astridge again and hear his latest talk on Ringo gear. He has some interesting new projects going. We did not have enough time to catch up, as Gary was very much in demand this year. Got to help out Wes owner of Explorers Percussion, my local drum store in Kansas City. He was manning his booth alone. Met Brian Hill and his wife, who had a great display of rope tension drums upstairs by the clinic space. Also talked with Jeff Davenport, who was manning the Remo booth and gave a clinic on tuning. He is a big fan of my dating guides, and it is always a thrill for me to meet someone who likes my work.

After going to the show a few times before, I am finally feeling like I know some people and have figured out the flow of the weekend. Several good clinics and clinicians. Lots of after show activities, including the Drum Day clinics and an open house a Drugan's Drums on Saturday.

I was thrilled by a chance encounter with Richard (D**k) Schory, who was with Ludwig during the Ringo years. He shared some interesting tidbits from his amazing career. I hope to follow up that conversation with a few additional questions about what Ludwig was doing during that time with serial numbers, date stamps and Date Codes.

Fun weekend. If you have never been to a drum show, you should go at least once.

I'm not sure if you had any Gretsch guide books with you but I was hoping to find you all weekend! I too was at Druggan's. The. closest I came to meeting was Kat was going to introduce me to you but both of our ADHD took over! Maybe we will meet next time!

Edited by DolFan54, 22 May 2017 - 07:26 PM.

KCDrumDad

KCDrumDad

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationKansas City
I would probably recognise you, as I probably did the circuit a dozen times and we were probably standing next to each other in a booth at some point.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 17,658 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I met several forum members that I had only known by their member names before. Great to meet Surface, Allenl55, CSR, JoeyBoom and a few others whose names I cannot remember right now (sorry). I renewed contact with K.O., DrumKat, Randy Rainwater, Lou Perdomo, Brian Drugan, Rob Henry, Matt at Matt's Vintage Drums, Bob Campbell, Phil Madiera, most of whom are members here, but I forget some of their member names. I also had brief sightings/quick hellos with TroyH, RickP, Bun E, Mark Cooper, Mike Curotto, Swen and Jorma and others. Had a few nice conversations with Lee Ruff about - what else -vintage Gretsch drums. Nice to see Gary Astridge again and hear his latest talk on Ringo gear. He has some interesting new projects going. We did not have enough time to catch up, as Gary was very much in demand this year. Got to help out Wes owner of Explorers Percussion, my local drum store in Kansas City. He was manning his booth alone. Met Brian Hill and his wife, who had a great display of rope tension drums upstairs by the clinic space. Also talked with Jeff Davenport, who was manning the Remo booth and gave a clinic on tuning. He is a big fan of my dating guides, and it is always a thrill for me to meet someone who likes my work.

After going to the show a few times before, I am finally feeling like I know some people and have figured out the flow of the weekend. Several good clinics and clinicians. Lots of after show activities, including the Drum Day clinics and an open house a Drugan's Drums on Saturday.

I was thrilled by a chance encounter with Richard (D**k) Schory, who was with Ludwig during the Ringo years. He shared some interesting tidbits from his amazing career. I hope to follow up that conversation with a few additional questions about what Ludwig was doing during that time with serial numbers, date stamps and Date Codes.

Fun weekend. If you have never been to a drum show, you should go at least once.

I'm not sure if you had any Gretsch guide books with you but I was hoping to find you all weekend! I too was at Druggan's. The. closest I came to meeting was Kat was going to introduce me to you but both of our ADHD took over! Maybe we will meet next time!

So close....

Attached Files

DolFan54

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

So close....
Oh damn! Ok now I know who to look for next time! Thanks KO!

Edited by DolFan54, 23 May 2017 - 08:34 AM.

KCDrumDad

KCDrumDad

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationKansas City

KO - Is the original picture of the DFO crew posted somewhere?  I have not seen it anywhere.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 17,658 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I found it in the other thread about the show and also on Facebook.

KCDrumDad

KCDrumDad

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationKansas City

I am on the Vintage page almost exclusively, so I forget that there is a General page.  I will move future discussion there.

Edited by KCDrumDad, 23 May 2017 - 11:58 AM.

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 8,463 posts
  • LocationChichester NH

Rick I am very curious to hear what come out of the discussions you have with d**k Schory. I met him at the show in 2006 but I was not able to talk with him much. 

KCDrumDad

KCDrumDad

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Kurt,

I hope to follow up on a few things and then put all the information together at once.  Mr. Schory seems to have a keen memory about his time at Ludwig, so could be a great source of information if I can work out the logistics.  Unfortunately I do not live near Chicago, so it is not like I can just invite myself over for an afternoon chat.  Get with me about potential questions to ask him.  I don't want to overwhelm him but I would like to learn whatever I can from him.

Rick

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 17,658 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I talked to Mr. Schory for about 20 minutes a few years back at a previous drum show. He had his gold snare drum and Beatles* set there on display. I didn't ask him too many questions about his time at Ludwig as we were mostly discussing his various albums for RCA and later his own Ovation label. Also the drum show noise level is, unfortunately, never real conducive to attempting a conversation. It would be great to get him on record about various things pertaining to Ludwig while he's still around. I believe he was primarily in sales so he might not know too much about the real nitty gritty of the factory floor but still may have some useful insights about how business was done at Ludwig.

*as far as I have been able to determine this set was never used, or even seen, by Ringo, but it is still a nice OBP set. I chose not to talk about it with Mr. Schory. It is in his best interest to foster the notion that it is an actual Beatles set, and maybe he truly believes it was...hey, maybe Bernard Purdie played it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users