- - - - - hard to beat..

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • Location28027

I have what I think are a really great set of 80's new beats.. bottom is pretty heavy.. top average I think.. I was listening to some rehearsal recordings.. MAN,.. Those hats are clear, crisp,.. not too bright, not too dark,.. you can slosh'em,.. open up wide and sing... or go closed and really lite for a classic slow dance tune.. Never really appreciated them that much till I heard these recordings..

I wish I had some quick beats from the same era,..

Diana Castillo

Diana Castillo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLondon
I have a pair of those that I bought just a month after I started to learn how to play the drums. At the beginning I struggled with them, I didn't understand why they didn't sound as I heard them before in audios and videos... after a while I bought a pair of paiste 2002 15" that I've used a lot. Today, after probably a year since I used them the last time, brought my new beats for rehearsal and OMG. I love them. Their sound is soo perfect for me! :)
I have a question, though, what do you normally pair them with? I have a paiste 2000 18" power crash and an Paiste Alpha 21' groove ride but not entirely convinced...

I'm still learning and discovering what I like and what I don't, but I've got a feeling that other pairings would work much better.

anthony marquart

anthony marquart

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • Location28027
Honestly I pair with lots if different cymbals.

Diana Castillo

Diana Castillo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLondon
Makes sense, as they are quite versatile. I guess is a matter or me just trying different ones. We'll see! :)

cornelius

cornelius

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 962 posts

I love New Beats.  I have a Hollow Logo pair, probably from the early 80s, that I really like...

dogmanaut

dogmanaut

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUSA

My first non-beginner hats was a set of 14" New Beats. I played them with a K Custom Special Dry ride and a K Custom Dark crash. I haven't tried that setup in a while, but at the time anyway, it sounded it great to me. I think New Beats can go well with a pretty wide variety of stuff. They just have a classic sound. 

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationThe Keystone State

My drum teacher hand-picked a pair of 14" New Beats for me when he visited the Zildjian factory in 1978. I've played them since and will never let them go.

BeatBoutique

BeatBoutique

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationYoungstown, Ohio

I have some 15's from 1986 that I just put the top over a 15 in. Paiste 2002 SE and I am loving them right now.   

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,350 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

I have 14" Quick beats from that era.........PM if interested.....

Doubleroll

Doubleroll

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 955 posts
  • LocationNY
My new beats from 1977 are my go to hats for just about anything, gigs, rehearsal, etc. Spent quite a bit of time choosing this particular pair back in the day. Keepers for me...

steambent

steambent

Drum Czar

• Double Platinum
  • 2,808 posts
  • LocationOhio
Yes great hats and can be had very cheap in my opinion.

equipmentdork

equipmentdork

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationNJ

New Beats are the Supraphonic of hats. They can do anything. I have owned two pairs: one that got nicked at a bad gig and ones I bought in early 1991 to replace the stolen 80's NB's.

I don't get tired of the sound. I do have some others, but the New Beats cover the bases oh-so-nicely. Maybe they should be called Never Beats, because nothing clearly exceeds them for versatility.

Dan

CherryClassic

CherryClassic

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationBuda, Texas

I feel like my 14" New Beats are as old as I am (72), I'm guessing late 70's to early 80's and never use anything else since.  You don't want to know what I was using before.  LOL!  They work great for a soft cymbal roll on the edge and side of the stick with both cymbals just touching each other at the end of a nice song.  With maybe a slight crescendo at the end depending on the music.

sherm

Edited by CherryClassic, 16 July 2017 - 04:25 PM.

Mongrel

Mongrel

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey, USA

I never realized how good my first set of New Beats were until I took them out of the basement and played them on a HS auditorium stage.  The open room let them "breathe" and you could really tell how good they really sounded.

I currently have my first "real" cymbals-circa 1978 15" NBs, pre-serial 14" NBs, and mid-late 90s 14" Quick Beats.  A little heavy for what I play now (currently using a 13" K/Z combo), but I doubt I will give them up any time soon...

Edited by Mongrel, 16 July 2017 - 10:35 AM.

bonzoleum

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM

• Platinum
  • 4,653 posts
  • LocationChicago IL.

New Beats are the Supraphonic of hats. They can do anything. I have owned two pairs: one that got nicked at a bad gig and ones I bought in early 1991 to replace the stolen 80's NB's.

I don't get tired of the sound. I do have some others, but the New Beats cover the bases oh-so-nicely. Maybe they should be called Never Beats, because nothing clearly exceeds them for versatility.

Dan

Well said!

Jdrum

Jdrum

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationNortheast
My first brand new cymbals were a pair of 14" New Beats picked out and received as a gift for middle school graduation in the 80's. I still have them and will never part with them. I dig them out once in a while and play them. They still sound like New Beats! I played them for so long that it's almost too familiar a sound and I tuck them back away in exchange for my more recent sound interests. They are definitely the workhorse out hat's. Nobody can go wrong in choosing New Beats!

gezz

gezz

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,258 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Scotland
I agree but the fact you don't play them saddens me.. I have a paiste 20" 602 medium ride.. no matter what I TRY to like nothing else does it for me.. I keep coming back to it as it just sounds so good.. just like your new beats

Gerry

Edited by gezz, 20 July 2017 - 04:54 AM.

kip

kip

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,190 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh Pa USA

my NBs are from 79 or 78 or so..... still my FAV hats of all time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users