• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 7,648 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

I cranked this thing pretty tight, and here's what happened. Please forgive my informal dress. I was hanging out in my family room with gym shorts and a T shirt on. 

It sounded good on the gig after I cranked the heads tighter, but it got a bit drier sounding. 

xsabers

xsabers

Brought to you by...

• Members
  • 8,487 posts

I cranked this thing pretty tight, and here's what happened. Please forgive my informal dress. I was hanging out in my family room with gym shorts and a T shirt on. 

It sounded good on the gig after I cranked the heads tighter, but it got a bit drier sounding. 

Glad the drum was positioned so we couldn't see you actually hanging out...  :help:

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 7,648 posts

Glad the drum was positioned so we couldn't see you actually hanging out...  :help:

:occasion5:

Drumstickdude

Drumstickdude

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUnited kingdom
Sounds great.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 7,648 posts

Second week on the jazz gig with this snare. It sounds good with the batter head tuned medium to medium-tight. Any tighter than that, and it chokes. Just like every Gretsch snare I ever owned.

But it sure has a lot of balls. This would be one hell of a fat backbeat drum, tuned down low. But the stick chopper hoops would eat your sticks playing rim shots.

Edited by rondrums51, 22 April 2017 - 05:42 PM.

Drumstickdude

Drumstickdude

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUnited kingdom
That's what I think happens with my artist model and radio king, I know they are a different drum. -the sound is nice and full at medium tuning though not enough definition for my liking. they sound great with medium - high tuning but go much further and the sound of the band swallows up the sound choking it. Your drum sounds nice and powerful, is it a vintage drum or one of the newer ones?

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 7,648 posts

That's what I think happens with my artist model and radio king, I know they are a different drum. -the sound is nice and full at medium tuning though not enough definition for my liking. they sound great with medium - high tuning but go much further and the sound of the band swallows up the sound choking it. Your drum sounds nice and powerful, is it a vintage drum or one of the newer ones?

No, it's brand new, Renown 2. 

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 7,648 posts

The past two nights on the gig, I played the s*** out of it. Sounded good, lot of balls. 

I may do the trick where you crank the four bottom lugs on either side of the snare beds to get a bit more open sound. But overall, the drum sounds good.  

As an old fart who has owned many Gretsch sets over the years, it's strange to play a Chinese Gretsch drum. But WTF; 90 percent of everything in my house was made in China. Why not my snare drum, too?  :occasion5:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users