• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

cymtrich

cymtrich

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,047 posts
  • Locationupstate ny
are these worth looking into? i`ve seen a kit from 1972 that is in very good condition in silver sparkle. bill

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 8,171 posts
  • LocationChichester NH

My first set of drums that I got used in 1983 is a Gretsch from around then. They sound great but some of the hardware is not the greatest. I think most(if not all) wrapped Gretsch drums from this period should have metal bass drum hoops. What sizes are you talking about? My set has the ball socket hardware for the toms which is not great but I only ever play the set with the 12" tom mounted on a snare stand. I also swapped out my floor tom legs for newer ones as I did not need to alter anything and the new ones work much better. I saved the originals in case I decide to switch back. 

What is the asking price and the condition? Is there a snare included? Do you have any pics?

Here is my set....

Attached Files

Spongebob

Spongebob

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • LocationNYC

Gretsch drum produced up until 2000 were all made with Jasper 6 ply shells.  The same shell as used in the 60s.  

Can't really go wrong with that.

charlesm

charlesm

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationNY-metro
Any USA Gretsch drums in good condition are worth looking into.

Tilter

Tilter

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

are these worth looking into? i`ve seen a kit from 1972 that is in very good condition in silver sparkle. bill

Happen to have a photo? I was born in '72 and that's my favorite finish.  :)

Bri6366

Bri6366

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationLevittown, PA
^ My first kit was 71 Ludwig in Silver Sparkle.

cymtrich

cymtrich

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,047 posts
  • Locationupstate ny
size wise the drums are 22,16,13 with 5/5.5 snare morello sizes. bill

Patrick

Patrick

Drum Czar

• Double Platinum
  • 2,401 posts

I would be very interested in a kit like this. Most of the Gretsch kits from this era sound terrific. I have had no probs re bearing edges,general quality control, etc; though other folks have.

The hardware is no hell, with the tom mounts a particular issue.

Me, I would take a look.

Good luck

Edited by Patrick, 20 April 2017 - 03:55 PM.

Powertone

Powertone

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,571 posts
  • LocationCovington/Dayton, Ohio
I have a really nice 18,12,14 black intron kit from the same time frame. They sound amazing. No quality issues here.

jskdrums

jskdrums

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas & L.A.

I've got an SSB badge kit from around this time that just KILLS!  So... YES...check them out!  What is the price range?

Side note, my kit is Ebony lacquer...I've always wondered if the wrap kits of this era are less desirable since heads may sit a lil more snug if the wrap goes all the way up to the edge.   Hmmm???

edge

edge

• Members
  • 282 posts

This ere with the really thin shells are hands down my favorite Gretsch drums

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 8,171 posts
  • LocationChichester NH

I've told this story before but I will mention it again. My Gretsch set sounds great but they are more rock sizes than anything. For years I had heard about the Gretsch bop set mystique with the K Zildjians and I had kind of thought that while it probably sounds nice, is it really all that special? I went to the Hollywood custom drum show around 1998 and in the middle of the floor someone had this 18,12,14 walnut SSB Gretsch set up with beat up old K's. The set was scratched and pretty beat on and as I was checking it out, the guy who had the booth said "give it a go". I have played jazz for years and while I am certainly not as good as some of you guys here I do ok with it and know how to serve the music. I tell you I sat on this kit and it sounded so freakin amazing it stopped me in my tracks. It was THE sound that I heard on all those old 60's jazz records. It was tuned up high and the cymbals had the perfect amount crash VS definition. I was truly blown away and ever since then I get why guys like those bop Gretsch sets. It really was magic.

Of course they are all priced WAY above what I would ever hope to spend but they certainly do have a special mojo. Maybe every set is not like this but I could have spent hours playing that Gretsch that day. Of course I only played about 5 min as I am not a real big fan of bashing on drums at a drum show especially since I knew I couldn't afford this set.

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,473 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

If is a 22/13/16 my 1st question would be " Rail?" or " Half of a double tom (post/s) set up?)

If It's a rail it's 'more' rare.I'd say

Edited by JDA, 21 April 2017 - 09:05 AM.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,245 posts
  • LocationMonterey Bay, CA

Pictures, please!.......

Osahead2

Osahead2

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationFlying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superfortress!
1972 Gretsch SSB kits are well worth the price for your enjoyment!
Attached File  med_gallery_19901_8_1664932.jpeg   55.18KB   0 downloads
Attached File  20161204_104237.jpg   135.49KB   0 downloads
Attached File  attachment-32.jpeg   129.77KB   0 downloads

wflkurt

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus

• Members
  • 8,171 posts
  • LocationChichester NH

Beautiful stuff as usual Osa!

cymtrich

cymtrich

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,047 posts
  • Locationupstate ny
after doing more research and going back to look at the set i found out a couple of things. the floor and tom have the round badge held in with a carpet tack. the bass and snare have the round badge held in with a grommet. so it looks like a mixed set from two different eras.so, playable but not neccesarily collectible, eh? bill

Osahead2

Osahead2

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationFlying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superfortress!

after doing more research and going back to look at the set i found out a couple of things. the floor and tom have the round badge held in with a carpet tack. the bass and snare have the round badge held in with a grommet. so it looks like a mixed set from two different eras.so, playable but not neccesarily collectible, eh? bill

That's what we call a ROUND BADGE kit... typically a RB kit was made up to mid-1970 depending on the serial numbers which will be no greater then 114xxx'ish.

Spongebob

Spongebob

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • LocationNYC

standard gretsch round badge drums

the toms had the round badge held on by a tack (no vent holes)

the bass drums had a 3/8" diameter grommet holding the badge onto the shell.

Woody85

Woody85

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 524 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

AFAIK round badge toms are normally tacked while kicks and snares are gromitted (is that a real word?). Also very collectible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users