• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

JoePasko2002

JoePasko2002

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 596 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Thursday night was our monthly restaurant gig at LT's Grill, in Niskayuna NY.  Our mandolin player had to go out of town on personal business and our fiddler was in bed with a cold, so we had to do the gig as a 4-piece, with little preparation.

It went pretty well.  We played looser than usual....  more rock-&-roll (-ish), maybe ?  Relaxed and kind of just winging the arrangements.   It was nice to know we can pull this off if we ever need to again.   

Did you ever have to do a gig with less than your full regular band, and discover a whole different vibe than with the usual larger group ? 

Attached File  20160420.jpg   108.34KB   0 downloads

drummertom

drummertom

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationBoston
Oh yeah. Had to gig without the lead guitarist once. That was fun. At another gig, I had a drummer subbing for me and the guitarist/keys/vox gut stuck in traffic and finally hit the stage in time for the last song.

rjdrum

rjdrum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationCentral MA

I'm the house drummer for a weekly Jam band at a local watering hole. We have a featured artist for a set then it turns into a Jam for the middle two sets and then we close with the feature of the week. It's given me  a great opportunity to meet many players and learn many featured artists " books" so that when I'm called to fill in with those artists there is usually one or less rehearsals. The experience of playing different music with different people every week is something that has greatly helped my playing, ear training and general music awareness. The closest college experience (way back when) was small group jazz band, where we pick a song from the real book and play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users