Photo

anyone got any interesting/different Hi Hat top + bottom combinations?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

DHA

DHA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationNorth America

For a while now I've been using a 1970's Paiste 2002 top, and a Zildjian K Custom Hybrid bottom, they sound quite nice together.

Does anyone else have any good combos (or any that ended up being surprisingly bad)?

blueshadow

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along

• Moderators
  • 11,887 posts
  • LocationNorth of Austin, Texas
Been wanting to add something to my mix. Currently a 14" K top and 14" A quick beat bottom. It's a nice combo but would like a third wheel added for a more mellow sound.

drummerjohn333

drummerjohn333

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationMichigan

A  B8 alloy Meinl Ambico Camber top and a ZBT bottom. Wet and bright, nice chick......just a great pair. 

Bonus answer: ANYTHING over a ZBTPlus Maxhat bottom (the hammered/dimpled edge).

drumrman2002

drumrman2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationIndiana

I'm getting ready to try out a slightly different combo as soon as the cymbal arrives. I picked up an 18" Giant Beat that was cut down to 15" due to an edge crack. The PO said it was professional resized by Saluda Cymbals. I'm going to see what it sounds like paired with my Paiste Sound edge 15" bottom.

Doosh

Doosh

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX
I've heard lots of difference combinations that work well.

Basically, I recommend experimenting! One thing I have noticed, though: otherwise dog cymbals often make great hats.

Mongrel

Mongrel

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey, USA
Been mixing an 80s Newbeat top with a 90s Quickbeat top...

Also picked up Zildjian-13", 14", 15", Zildjian orphans. Look pretty old (pre-serial # anyway). I will put those in the mix sometimes with my 13" K/Zs, and 14/15" New/Quick beats.

I have a 16" 1940s heavy cymbal (small crack unfortunately) I am waiting to find a mate for. That may make an interesting combo.

chikncity

chikncity

• Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCA

K. Zildjian old stamp 13" top/ vintage ZILCO 14" bottom.

SKINZ

SKINZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationEAST ATL
14 in Paiste 3000 heavy bottom hat with a Zildjian K top hat Brilliant finish.....

dtk

dtk

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 6,847 posts
  • LocationNeedham MA...

so far anything over a sound edge bottom.

my 14s are an HHX over an el sabor bottom.

i have a 15" Soultone flat natural that sounds fine over a soultone extreme.

my gigging 15s are a rude soundedge (with a crack repair/no vapor lock ever) with a sabian Banda turka on top (orchestral).

i recently tried my 16" Meinl Symphonics as hihats...holy crap...the most musical hats ever.

i've also messed with micro hats.  Meinl makes a drumbal...which isn't really a splash but has a soundedge likeness to it...works well as a bottom hat with other splashes.

Seb77

Seb77

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationGermany

I'd second: experiment! I would record all combinations I could come up with with my various hi-hats; sometimes you don't hear what works the first time around; you can't really predict what works. Some combinations of two cymbals create a synergetic sound that just works.

A curious combination I came up with this way is a Dream Bliss bottom over a 60s A bottom. The A is sizzly as any good A, and the Dream adds a certain dark, dry sound. Those particular cymbals also really vibrate together.

Happy mating!

Marc M

Marc M

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  • Locationatlanta ga

I have put together a couple of nice combos from music go round,they usually have a bunch of Hi Hat bottoms and some tops laying around.Combined with other hats cymbals I have aquirred at other places I have put together some good HH sets pretty inexpensively.

I put together a Sabian B-8 bottom with a paiste 2002 top.Sounded great.I used a Zil new beat bottom with a paiste 302 bottom for my niece,nice stick sound and sizzle,a little quieter sound but great for rehearsal and lower volume applications.

Found a sabian aax stage bottom and paired it with an sabian HH dark hat top,gave it a little higher pitch and cut than the HH dark set.

Like another poster said you have to try everything,Sometimes I believe it has to do with the pitch of the two cymbals together,as well as the character of each cymbal. I have no way of predicting what will sound good,but I work less than a mile from Music go round so I will throw some HH cymbals that I have in the car and go by there and occasionally and see what they have and see if I can find that magic combo.I always have to remember to bring an extra clutch or two,makes mixing and matching easier.

I have found as I accumulate these sets in greater numbers I will star mixing sets up within those and sometimes it gets a little crazy.

Edited by Marc M, 02 May 2017 - 05:42 PM.

xipa4

xipa4

Sister Cool

• Members
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location<Insert Location Here>

14" Paiste Formula 602 Blue Label Medium Hihat Top + 14" Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hihat Bottom.

FloydZKing

FloydZKing

fire bad!

• Members
  • 6,678 posts

I have two pairs of hats that i've combined to preferable effect.  Soultone Extremes (a bit too hot) and Dream Bliss ( a little too cold).  Now I have two pairs with Extreme bottoms and Bliss tops.  Ah, just right...

latzanimal

latzanimal

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationHalfway between the Quads and the Windy City...

I have a 14" Oriental top from the Oriental trash hat (14/16) combo on top of a Z bottom or Quick beat bottom...

IMG_0483 (Medium).jpg

Doosh

Doosh

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

14" Paiste Formula 602 Blue Label Medium Hihat Top + 14" Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hihat Bottom.

With all the sets of cymbals you have, I can only imagine you have found some amazing unexpected pairs!

I don't really like the Mastersound or Sound Edge bottoms (too harsh), but strangely I love the K Custom Hybrid edge ones which are basically just an inverted Mastersound.

DHA

DHA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationNorth America

I have two pairs of hats that i've combined to preferable effect.  Soultone Extremes (a bit too hot) and Dream Bliss ( a little too cold).  Now I have two pairs with Extreme bottoms and Bliss tops.  Ah, just right...

I used some Dream Bliss hats a while ago and was surprised by how nice they sounded... my next purchase might be a set of these

Seb77

Seb77

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationGermany

I used some Dream Bliss hats a while ago and was surprised by how nice they sounded... my next purchase might be a set of these

Their pairs seem well-matched. That bottom hat I mentioned is a clunker comapred to a Z or P, but it works great as part of a pair. Even though it's lathed, it's very dry; you need a lively cymbal to complement it.

pezman718

pezman718

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

At one point I had a bunch of 14" cymbals laying around and tried different combinations.

Paiste Signature Dark Crisp

Paiste 400 crash cymbal with rivets

Paiste PST5

Invader

Dream Bliss crash

Pair of Zildjian A Custom

Sabian B8

My favorite pair (and the one I still use) is Paiste Signature Dark Crisp (from forum member Stretch -thanks!) on top, Invader on bottom. I was completely shocked with the Invader, but it is truly awesome.

Gcort49

Gcort49

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationUSA

Currently using a K Dark thin crash/16" over a vintage Paiste 602 crash medium/16".

The K is temporary while I find an affordable thin 16" 602 crash.

I am a bit OCD with cymbals, having 2 vintage Paiste 602 rides and a 602 Flat, I NEED all to be Paiste.

However, my crash/hat mix is really sweet.

DHA

DHA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Their pairs seem well-matched. That bottom hat I mentioned is a clunker comapred to a Z or P, but it works great as part of a pair. Even though it's lathed, it's very dry; you need a lively cymbal to complement it.

Yeah I really liked the dryness, although you're right about the sound - it can get a bit lost in a mix. Nice for lower volume situations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users