• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

MarcoREV

MarcoREV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
So, i just got kicked out from my band, we've been together for a year and have played several gigs.

They kicked me out by an email, stating that i lacked of work ethic, I don't know what that mean. i do drink and smoke a lot but i still have a good performance and i practice a lot with them so i don't think it's a big of a deal.

What do they mean by work ethic?

hoochymama

hoochymama

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 548 posts
  • Locationnortheastern ohio

show up on time, do a good job, and don't complain would be my definition. Sounds like it was an excuse, maybe someones buddy wanted the gig. I'm sure you'll find another one

cymtrich

cymtrich

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,067 posts
  • Locationupstate ny
IF THEY CAN`T AT LEAST DO IT FACE TO FACE, MAN TO MAN, I`D SAY THEY ARE COWARDS! you don`t need them! bill

Ickybaby

Ickybaby

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationNormal, IL

People are WEIRD. I got "fired" from a band last year by receiving 2 texts. the first one said "we've decided to go another direction with the drumming", the 2nd text, sent 1/2 later was "your drums are behind your car".

Now, I have been in a number of situations in bands where I have seen arguing, back stabbing, and all out fighting before.....but never have I seen where a musician just flat out disrespected someone's gear to the level of dropping it off behind a car in a driveway.

When that happens you go "WTF?!?..... what did I do to make them THAT mad?!!?" I hadn't even so much as argued with anyone in the band, we all hated the Cubs, we were all 420 friendly and shared, I hadn't "dissed" anyone's mom.... So, I asked them all to please tell me what it was that I did that made them so mad they fired me and then dropped my equipment off in my driveway? Their answer, "we just think you're too busy". I then asked for them to cite when my schedule had ever affected the band ( I do keep a full schedule, always have...I think there should be an activity 7 night's a week...and sleep is for the weak and/or dead). They didn't have anything specific, just that I was so busy and they were afraid I would not have time for them. No amount of me stating that I was giving them priority over other music ventures or anything worked....because.... they had someone else lined up.

I'm 50, I can pass for late 30's generally, but the band was in their 20's. The guy they got to drum was also in his 20's.

I could have understood if that cat was at least an interesting drummer. He isn't, the band is worse off musically....but if they're

happy then what can I say?

Just goes to show, people are weird. Artists are weirder. Guitarists are the weirdest.

Boomer

Boomer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,222 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Kentucky
I quit a band late last year based in part on their statement that I was "too busy, and they had to turn down jobs" because of my schedule. Never mind that I did most of the booking and that my schedule only caused one conflict in two years.

The band played one gig after I left and then broke up.

Olderschool

Olderschool

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • LocationUsa

I remember the one time I was fired. I played with this band for about 3 years and handled all of the booking. After about 2 years the guitar player ( he WAS the band) decided to simply let the Bass player go without telling him. Just stopped letting him know about gigs. Really hurt his feelings and I thought it sucked. What happened was he wanted this "hot" bass player....you know the kind, the wanna be guitar player who brings the fretless 7 string and solos during breaks :jerk: 

Well....right off the bat, him and I didn't get along. Pothead and simply an ass. One time at a gig he actually complained because my drums didn't sound like the Frank Beards kit that he was watching on the bar television. I told him because his drums were triggered and...whatever. Anyway, so I go out of town for Christmas and guess what...they start booking gigs behind my back with another drummer who runs a sound "company"....basically a drunk/stoner that has a PA. This dude is a well known bunny and has been fired from numerous bands . You can guess how long that band lasted with three potheads .

Anyway...I said all that to say this....don't sweat it. It's equal to school kids fighting over the latest job opening at the pizzeria down the street. At least most of the gigs down here are  :laughing2:

plexi69

plexi69

• Members
  • 410 posts

The fact that you " drink and smoke a lot" makes you sound like a liability. Maybe the problem isn't the other band members.

Edited by plexi69, 17 June 2017 - 12:20 PM.

Gcort49

Gcort49

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUSA

I heard Danny Seraphine, original drummer for Chicago, was kicked out by email, or maybe a text. No matter. Point being, it happens to the best, why not the rest. He moved on, and is doing well and better without the egos

We all survive. Don't take it personal.

Fun 2 Drum

Fun 2 Drum

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 5,570 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

...It's equal to school kids fighting over the latest job opening at the pizzeria down the street. At least most of the gigs down here are  :laughing2:

That's a great analogy.  

NYFrank

NYFrank

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • LocationNortheast U.S.

I heard Danny Seraphine, original drummer for Chicago, was kicked out by email, or maybe a text. No matter. Point being, it happens to the best, why not the rest. He moved on, and is doing well and better without the egos

There wasn't any email or text when Danny lost that gig.  

LimaPop

LimaPop

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationBoulder
Happened to me too, the band was secretly using a backup drummer at low level gigs. No courage to tell me but it was clear when the PA equipment was put away different than I remember on several occasions. I am a very strong in the pocket groove player, and the other guy was a splashy basher.

So I secretly formed a new band, and set it up to play the high paying gigs I brought in before. It came to a head last December when they asked me about the two big corporate holiday parties we had done for many years. I told them that the corporations had other plans, and they figured out they lost a $5500 and a $5000 gig. Since I own the PA, lighting and the backline, it was easy to move on.

I saw them playing once since then. They were good but without the following we had together. Their song selection was not near as good. I was a little upset that they kept some fo the cool transitions and mash-ups that I had created.

Gcort49

Gcort49

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUSA

There wasn't any email or text when Danny lost that gig.  

He himself mentions it in his book. He was voted out in a meeting in which he knew nothing about. Next day, Lamm sent him the message via their management company

Edited by Gcort49, 22 July 2017 - 04:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Band, Kicked, Fired, Drums, Work, Ethic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users