Photo

Personalizing An E-kit? Spray Paint etc?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

globe9

globe9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDallas

Just bought a Yamaha DTX-522k kit and received it yesterday. I haven't finished setting it up, but I already know in a few months I'd like to spice up the rack and make it more "me". I was thinking of spray painting it a cool color or maybe even plastidipping it. I was wondering if anyone else has done anything similar or maybe something else? 

Fun 2 Drum

Fun 2 Drum

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 5,723 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

I haven't done that with mine, but i have been thinking for the past year about cutting down an old tom and hanging it on the front as a faux bass drum.  It would have a custom head with my initials and a cool design.  So far it's still just at the thinking stage, though I've got an old and ugly MIJ floor tom that would be a good candidate for the job.  

globe9

globe9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDallas

That's a cool idea too. The e-kit is just so bland looking. I'd like to spice it up a little and make it more unique and colorful. I'd prefer not to paint it, which would permanently alter it, but I'm not sure what other options are out there. Would be cool if someone sold a "skin" or something.

drumrman2002

drumrman2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationIndiana

I thought about doing something similar to my Alesis D10 e kit. Most of the pads consist of a black plastic bottom/base with a thin wood hoop covered with a thin band of drum wrap. I thought about stripping them apart and repainting the base and shell using Krylon Fusion spray paint. It's made for plastic and leaves a pretty professional finish. I've used it for a number of projects and got good results. I haven't gotten around to re-doing my Alesis kit because I already have too many irons in the fire, including re-wrapping a new acoustic drum kit.

You could use most any other paints besides the Krylon Fusion, but on plastic you would need to use an adhesion promoter before applying the paint. It's available in spray cans and acts as a primer for plastic so the paint will stick without chipping or peeling off. After applying that, you could use most any type of paint. I've seen some pretty stunning finishes on E-kits using automotive type urethane.

DWHOARD

DWHOARD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationVista, CA

I don't know about your drums but Walopus.com has custom wraps he can cut to any shape for you.

I wrapped my rolands in a fake oak wrap.

Attached Files

baxman

baxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationGold River, Ca

I switched the rack that came with the kit to a chrome Gibraltar rack.  I had to also replace the tom holders with Yamaha rack mounts to accommodate the new rack.  I like having all of the extra chrome.

Attached Files

Gcort49

Gcort49

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • LocationUSA

I don't know about your drums but Walopus.com has custom wraps he can cut to any shape for you.

I wrapped my rolands in a fake oak wrap.

Bum Drum Wraps sells wraps in e-set sizes already cut.

slyone

slyone

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationIllinois, C(r)ook County

Something I have done for my e-kit is to hang my acoustic bass head on the rack in front of the set. It gives the kit  a more 'traditional' look. I used a CHEAP ebay bass drum that I cut so I could mount the head on it, put a good hoop on it and used an L-arm to suspend it on the rack

Lyle

165850730.C0Aayh1G.HPIM2585.gif

Edited by slyone, 19 July 2017 - 12:18 AM.

Fun 2 Drum

Fun 2 Drum

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 5,723 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

Something I have done for my e-kit is to hang my acoustic bass head on the rack in front of the set. It gives the kit  a more 'traditional' look. I used a CHEAP ebay bass drum that I cut so I could mount the head on it, put a good hoop on it and used an L-arm to suspend it on the rack

Lyle

165850730.C0Aayh1G.HPIM2585.gif

That looks great!  I like the hi hat stand, too!

slyone

slyone

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationIllinois, C(r)ook County

That looks great!  I like the hi hat stand, too!

There's a Ghost bass pedal there too. It's a mix of modern and vintage equipment in my set up.

165850731.VQgXX5er.HPIM2594.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users