Photo

A Dynamics Exercise - because dynamics can make or break a song!

dynamics exercise beginner intermediate volume control independence lesson

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

DHA

DHA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorth America

I've just added an article on improving dynamic control (between limbs, and across an entire song). When I was first starting out, this really simple exercise helped me immensely to get more independence and better volume control between my arms and legs.

The TL;DR version is this: Hit 4 things all at the same time (e.g. snare, floor tom, hi hat pedal, bass drum). Slowly increase & decrease the volume of individual limbs one at a time. There are a lot of different variations on this - ranging from extremely basic all the way up to very complex.

If you're interested in the actual article, you can click here.

Feedback is appreciated, and let me know if this helps you!

kb

kb

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Yeah, that's a great concept.

Just in case you didn't know, I'm pretty sure it comes from Max Roach.

I didn't read your whole page, so maybe you already did this, but I think you should give credit where credit is due....

DHA

DHA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Yeah, that's a great concept.

Just in case you didn't know, I'm pretty sure it comes from Max Roach.

I didn't read your whole page, so maybe you already did this, but I think you should give credit where credit is due....

I just did a quick Google and I think you're right... I didn't know it was Max Roach who came up with it. It was an exercise two different drum teachers showed me in the past.
I'll edit my article soon to credit Max, thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dynamics, exercise, beginner, intermediate, volume, control, independence, lesson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users