• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

paulwells73

paulwells73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

I have an interesting 1960s Ludwig kit and I'm considering trading it for a similar Gretsch kit. It's a silver sparkle 9x13, 16x16, 14x22 kit. The toms are clear interiors, and the bass drum has a white interior. The only date stamp is July 1968 inside the floor tom. Serial numbers are: 

9x13 - 635987

16x16 - 646381

14x22 - 152479

Although there is a number of years difference between the bass drum and the toms, I think they came together. The silver sparkle has faded equally between the three drums. They also appear to have been custom ordered by a left handed drummer. The tom has snare rash on the badge side, and the bass drum has some rash on the right side where the tom rubbed against it, which implies being used a left handed setup. The bass drum has a double tom mount, a cymbal holder bracket on the left side, and the badge is offset one panel. It also has Rogers spurs installed. There are no extra holes in any of the drums. It seems like perhaps somebody ordered the kit in 1968, and Ludwig pulled an unused bass drum off the shelf that hadn't been drilled for any hardware. It was then drilled to accommodate the Rogers spurs, the double tom mount, and left handed cymbal bracket. I currently have a modern Ludwig bracket on the tom, and a modern Ludwig double tom bracket on the bass drum. I still have the originals that the kit came with. I also have a 70s era double tom post I'd include. Floor tom legs are original with Pearl rubber feet. Chrome is fairly pitted and tarnished, but all original. Bass drum hoops are not original to the kit, but are period correct replacements in worn but workable condition. Edges are in good shape and the drums sound fantastic. The toms have the very desirable clear interior tom sound. 

I'm looking to trade them for a Gretsch Round Badge era kit in 9x13, 16x16, 14x20 configuration, or possibly with a 14x22. I'm looking for something in player's condition (rewrap, extra holes) but I need it to have factory bearing edges. PM me if you're interested. 

Here is the kit set up for a gig: 

33EB00E7-6BB4-42C5-9985-8CEBAEA9469A.jpg

Here are some detail shots of the bass drum: 

060D06F7-8694-4AF1-874E-FABB38539357.jpg

A8421EC0-6267-4DAA-9DD2-578DB020A645.jpg

Edited by paulwells73, 20 May 2017 - 03:49 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ludwig, Keystone, Gretsch, Round Badge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users