17 replies to this topic

Targalx

Targalx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Having been a longtime Fender player (with too many Strats and Teles to recall), I started getting into G&L guitars lately, and wow, they are just excellent axes. Beautiful sounds, nice finish and quality, great feel, and kind of a mystery to many, especially considering that the used USA G&L prices are always a bit cheaper than the USA-made Fender used Strats and Teles. Bought a couple G&L USA basses, too. Fantastic stuff. Anyone else here playing G&L?

CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationWhere Black is the color, where None is the number

My first truly good instrument was a candy-apple red G&L 5 string bass. It was more strings than I needed, and I sold it in a fit of broke-ness, but man that was a nice instrument. I'll get another 4 string of theirs along the way.

trappemann

trappemann

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 919 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I have a few G&Ls

Nothing better out there, in the Fender-esque genre.

It was Leo's final workbench.  

All of his best stuff landed there.

Unfortunately, he sold his 2 most important assets, his name and shape copyrights, back in 1964. 

Believe it or not, I have an Indonesian ASAT with humbuckers that will knock you out.  It is better than the G&L NAMM show guitar I have.

Ron_L

Ron_L

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMemphis

I have a nice G&L Tribute Tele.  I'm very pleased with it.  Don't play it often, but when I do, it still brings a smile to my face!

Targalx

Targalx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Are the Tribute models really that good? I always thought they were akin to the Indonesian-made Fender Squier series, you know, the low end, budget oriented student model stuff. Hmmm.

CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationWhere Black is the color, where None is the number

I mean, any of the manufacturing bases you choose will make a guitar as nice as you're willing to pay for. I've played some Tributes that were fantastic, and the fretwork seemed to be a notch or two up from lower-line Fenders (thought it's been a couple years since I've checked any of those out, and they could have upped their game in the meantime). Most cheap guitars are really only a good fret dress, new nut, and setup away from being as good as anybody really needs. Like how cheapo drumkits mostly just need a set of real heads.

But personally I'd save a little longer and try and snag a used USA model cheap.

Targalx

Targalx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I mean, any of the manufacturing bases you choose will make a guitar as nice as you're willing to pay for. I've played some Tributes that were fantastic, and the fretwork seemed to be a notch or two up from lower-line Fenders (thought it's been a couple years since I've checked any of those out, and they could have upped their game in the meantime). Most cheap guitars are really only a good fret dress, new nut, and setup away from being as good as anybody really needs. Like how cheapo drumkits mostly just need a set of real heads.

But personally I'd save a little longer and try and snag a used USA model cheap.

Yeah, that's my plan. I'd like an SC-2 and a USA Fallout (SC-2 is USA too; I don't think they make the SC-2 as a Tribute model).

All of my G&Ls (LB-100, JB-2, ASAT) are USA models, all used. I paid $299 for the LB-100 because the pawn shop didn't realize what they had (this was pre-Craigslist). Paid $500 for the ASAT and $550 for the JB-2. All are excellent prices for USA models, in my opinion.

Gemolasa

Gemolasa

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
Musicians Friend has great deals on G&L Teles often if you're in the market.

W&A Player

W&A Player

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationTexas

The combined genius of Leo Fender, George Fullerton, Doc Kaufman, Freddie Tavares, Bill Carson, and a handful of other trailblazers got it right the first time for the Tele, the Esquire, the Strat, the P Bass, the Jazz Bass, the Jaguar, the Jazz Master, the Mustang, etc., etc. They also got it right by incorporating generic electronic designs into the most copied amplifiers ever made. Leo and many others have tried valiantly to reinvent all of these instruments and amplifiers. But, try as they did, even their most improved designs have been marginal commercial successes at best. G & L guitars are excellent. But, they are still not the real things. 

The Whale

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationNY's Finger Lakes Region

I don't have one now but a G&L Strat is on my hit list.

rayboomboom

rayboomboom

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Don't play another instrument besides drums but I saw the title of the thread and had to chime in.  Back in the early 80's the bass player I was with ordered one.  I was there the day it came into the store.  He pulled it out of the box and it was a thing of beauty I had never seen the likes of before.  He picked it up and played it - it was still in tune from the factory after being shipped cross country.  That bass sounded fantastic too.  It never went out of tune.  Amazing instrument.

JulianFernandez

JulianFernandez

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 801 posts
  • LocationInglewood, CA

G&L USA Legacy are amazing instruments for sure...

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,910 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

My brother plays a G&L and he just loves it.

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,944 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

I played guitar seriously for about 6 years while I kept playing drums, and owned a G&L Tribute ASAT Classic.  Even though it's their bottom of the line guitar, it sounded and played great.  I had one lady borrow it for a recording session I was doing.

When I tried a Legacy in a shop, next to the Fenders and Gibsons of several price ranges, it was no contest.  The Legacy was obviously a better guitar than most of the others, for less money, and it isn't their budget guitar.  Eventually when I get back into playing guitar, a Legacy will be my first choice. 

Mightaswell

Mightaswell

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Played an SC-2  20 years ago in a Pawn Shop and my friend and I were both amazed at great it sounded.  At the time, we had no idea what it was.  But, it's one of a handful of guitars that, to this day, I wish I'd bought.  I remember it being gritty but articulate.  You could play a chord or a lead and it was just beautiful.  It wasn't as dark as a LP Jr. or as crisp as a tele.  Unique tone and a killer axe!

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,540 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Proud owner of a 90s Legacy and a newish Asat Bass. I'm more of a fan of their basses than their guitars. I agree nothing beats the original Fender Strat, Tele, P-bass (and even Jazzmaster and Jaguar as strange as they are) designs and tones. They are the originals. But Fender definitely brought his design esthetic to Musicman and later G&L, both of which there are some incredible designs. My personal favorite is the early Musicman Stingray bass. Those have an amazing, active tone. P-bass and Jazz bass designs are legendary, but Leo definitely created some more legendary designs later. Tony Levin's tone on the Stingray bass is just as essential it being a Stingray bass, as say, Roger Waters' P-bass sound. I applaud the variety available. 

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 16,237 posts
  • LocationOklur Homer

Musicians Friend sometimes features the Tribute series models on their "Stupid Deal Of The Day" so I bought one because it was a no-brainer deal @ $280. My band's guitarist pulled it out of the shipping crate to check the tuning at our gig - still in perfect tune from the factory!

He played the 1st set with it and liked it so much he bought it from me on the spot during our break and ended up playing it for the entire gig, which is astounding since he's played for 50 years and is the consummate professional, VERY particular about his gear. That's been 8 or 10 months ago and the G&L has become his main axe, he loves the overall tone and playing feel.

The quality of these is really incredible, anyone who's inspected or played one seems to agree!

G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy Tribute series

Attached File  G&L Bluesboy 006.jpg   137.54KB   0 downloadsAttached File  G&L Bluesboy 001.jpg   187.97KB   0 downloadsAttached File  G&L Bluesboy 004.jpg   158.17KB   0 downloads

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,540 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Very snazzy^^^!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users