Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

SKF Blog UPDATE: Revising My MD Published Posts

scottkfish_hudsonriver.jpg?w=640

SKF NOTE: Yesterday, Friday, June 16, I received an email request from Modern Drummer Publications VP Kevin Kearns, followed by a phone conversation. It was the first time  we had communicated since the fall of 1983 when I was stepping down as MD managing editor and Kevin was MD's advertising director.

Kevin was calling to say I had to remove all of the MD published articles posted on this blog. By the end of our conversation, I was okayed to keep the first page of each MD article posted here, with a link to MD's Archive Page where these early MD issues are now available for purchase. 

Most of these interviews were unavailable when I started this blog, unless you owned the back issues or were willing to buy them eBay. I'm glad that's no longer the case. 

I wanted visitors to my Life Beyond the Cymbals blog to know of the change ahead of time. Let me emphasize that what is in question here are the scanned pages here from MD magazines. That's it.

In the grand scheme of things this revision enables me to focus more on my original mission for this blog.

Onward and upward.

gwbasley

gwbasley

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationHoliday, Florida

It sounds like some kind of legal thing.  If I'm reading this correctly, you will be able to give out the first page but then we have to buy the rest of the article from MD?  That's almost like you are advertising for them...you should get a cut or a commission!

Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

:lovestory:

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,400 posts
  • LocationBluegrass of Kentucky

I've enjoyed those scanned articles quite a bit, Scott, and will be sad to see them go.

Edited by bellbrass, 17 June 2017 - 11:49 AM.

cymtrich

cymtrich

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,195 posts
  • Locationupstate ny
scott, sorry to hear this as i`ve enjoyed all of them. if i may so, sounds like a bit of greed on their part. i guess a little bit of money is worth more to them than promoting the hobby. bill

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,400 posts
  • LocationBluegrass of Kentucky

I wonder if MD will require a membership or other large fee to access the interviews Scott has done.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 8,327 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

That's stupid. Your interviews are informative and useful. MD needs to back off. 

cymtrich

cymtrich

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,195 posts
  • Locationupstate ny
lawyers? bill

cribbon

cribbon

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 700 posts

The recent issues of MD seem to be getting thinner and thinner, probably indicating a downward trend in revenue. I would suspect that this move on their part is an attempt to find another revenue stream. To me, MD was a great mag up through the mid-80s, after that, not so much. Every time I've tried to contact them to get info on what articles are in what back issues, I never get an answer.

campbellh

campbellh

• Double Platinum
  • 482 posts

Please note that if you want any print magazine to continue publishing, then you need to buy the issues, not bootleg.  Small magazines are not like the NFL, they need the subscriber & back-issue income stream in addition to advertising to survive.  Taking a scanned copy and posting to the WWW is a violation of copyright.  You need the publisher's permission to reproduce in any fashion, print or electronic.

Think about it this way - if you recorded an album in the studio, you would expect to receive royalties from the sales of your album.  If someone buys a copy and then sends digital copies to all their friends, you are losing royalties.  You need that money to pay rent, mortgage and groceries.  This is no different.

Disclaimer - I am a free-lance writer for MD and Not So Modern Drummer magazines.  I am also the editor-in-chief of a scientific journal, SLAS - Discovery.

Edited by campbellh, 19 June 2017 - 05:39 AM.

Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

campbellh is correct. Cease-and-desist is certainly one of a few ways to resolve the matter. 

Best,

skf

Houndog

Houndog

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City
You had to know this was coming .

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

Total bummer, as I have enjoyed reading a lot of your articles.

Though, I do understand the legality of it.

orion

orion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Please note that if you want any print magazine to continue publishing, then you need to buy the issues, not bootleg.  Small magazines are not like the NFL, they need the subscriber & back-issue income stream in addition to advertising to survive.  Taking a scanned copy and posting to the WWW is a violation of copyright.  You need the publisher's permission to reproduce in any fashion, print or electronic.

Think about it this way - if you recorded an album in the studio, you would expect to receive royalties from the sales of your album.  If someone buys a copy and then sends digital copies to all their friends, you are losing royalties.  You need that money to pay rent, mortgage and groceries.  This is no different.

Disclaimer - I am a free-lance writer for MD and Not So Modern Drummer magazines.  I am also the editor-in-chief of a scientific journal, SLAS - Discovery.

+1

gwbasley

gwbasley

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationHoliday, Florida

I see it a little differently.  Lennon and McCartney were members of a band when they wrote songs...could the band, come back, years later, and tell them to stop playing the songs that they wrote?

tommykat1

tommykat1

Drummer Excelsior

• Double Platinum
  • 9,242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Geez...Sorry, Scott.

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,333 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Thanks, Scott! The first page is the most important one. I'm sure MD recognized this. They could have had you remove them entirely but--wise move--they let you keep that page. Otherwise they would have gotten absolutely nothing from anyone who has been following the blog. This way, win-win, we still get the 1st page and MD gets to treat the 1st pages as "teasers" so someone interested enough in reading the entire interview can do so. That becomes their intellectual property when they buy the interview from you for publication in MD. 

I wonder if they own the content of the article/interviews. I would expect as much. If not, then you could simply lift the text and print it on your blog.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scott K Fish, Life Beyond the Cymbals, Modern Drummer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users