• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Saladdaze

Saladdaze

Advanced Snr. Member

• Double Platinum
  • 588 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Time to let a really good one go. I've had these drums for ~5 years now and they come with some DFO provenance. They were formerly owned by mikesdrums and before that belonged in DanRH's illustrious stable. I'll hazard a guess both will speak highly of this kit.

Mid-90's 7 piece Fibes Austin-era drum set with Jasper shells in Black Onyx lacquer finish. Sizes are 8x10 TT, 9x12 TT, 14x14 FT, 16x16 FT, 16x22 BD, 6.5x14 SD and very rare 3x13 Fibale. 

Attached File  Fibes 1.jpg   225.39KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Fibes 2.jpg   219.04KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Fibes 3.jpg   223.11KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Fibes 4.jpg   195.52KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Fibes 5.jpg   187.88KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Fibes 6.jpg   178.14KB   0 downloads

Heads are in good shape with the 12" being the most used of the lot. Coated Emperors on top with Clear Ambassadors on bottom. Snare has a Remo CS batter and Fibale an Attack 1-ply thin head. Super Kick II on batter with Aquarian single ply on reso for the kick drum. 

Includes Gauger RIMS aluminum mounts with Yamaha brackets for the 10" and 12" toms, a Yamaha double holder, two Yamaha CL945B ball clamps, stand mount for the Fibale and six Pearl iso-feet floor tom legs. The snare drum has Puresound snares made for the Fibes SFT strainer.  

Note: Bass drum pillow, high-hat and snare stand not included.

All toms and both kick drums have a few small nicks and light scratches from use. Bass drum hoops are in good shape without only light claw marks that can be covered by the claws. The worst blemish is on the 12" tom, which has a fair amount of rash on one panel between the lugs. This, I believe, was caused by a previous owner (definitely not Mike or Dan) using Yamaha tom arms that were too long. See pic below for detail. It's easy to cover with the RIMS mount.

Attached File  Fibes 9.jpg   150.62KB   0 downloads

These are some of the best built and finest sounding drums I've ever owned. They tune up beautifully and will hold their own against anything manufactured today. Please PM me if you have any questions or would like to discuss in more detail. 

Price: $1500.00

Drums are located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. At this time, I’d prefer local pick up. Willing to drive a few hours in any direction to meet a DFO drum brother for a hand-off.

Edited by Saladdaze, 22 September 2017 - 01:35 PM.

flam254

flam254

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • LocationTexas

Cool - that is my old fibale!  Nice drums - GLWS!

mikesdrums

mikesdrums

Drummer

• Members
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationDallas

Best sounding and best all-around drums I ever had. Good luck!

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 19,631 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Aw man, I loved that kit.

studrum

studrum

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,541 posts
Fantastic tubs!

mikebodrums

mikebodrums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Beautiful!! I own two of these and still my favorite drums ever!

Saladdaze

Saladdaze

Advanced Snr. Member

• Double Platinum
  • 588 posts

Cool - that is my old fibale!  Nice drums - GLWS!

Now I know what it came from, Flam. Thanks!

Best sounding and best all-around drums I ever had. Good luck!

Howdy, Mike. Thanks for weighing in! Much appreciated.

Aw man, I loved that kit.

Dan, I remember a conversation we had about this being like sharing an old...

Beautiful!! I own two of these and still my favorite drums ever!

And you've got some sweet drums from what I've seen. Thank you, mikebodrums!

Saladdaze

Saladdaze

Advanced Snr. Member

• Double Platinum
  • 588 posts

Fantastic tubs!

Thank you, studrum!

Treviso1

Treviso1

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Great tubs from a great forumite.  For those few out there that still don't know Saladdaze, he is a wonderful dude, as cool as they come, and as honest as they come.  This will be the smoothest deal you have ever done and you will make a new friend in the process.  

Regarding these killer drums...they remind me of having a great Gretsch drum from what I consider to be the true golden era of Gretsch (1984-2004)...killler Jasper drums, great lacquer finishes, but a more open, fatter sound with the triple flanged hoops rather that the die cast Gretsch hoops which tend to favor more low mids.  These Fibes drums are very full bodied with a lot more low end than generally found in a Gretsch drumset.  

By the way, these Fibers drums are from the golden era of Fibes, the Tommy Robertson era in Austin, TX.  It's hard to find a better sounding set of drums and this kit is set up as I would play them with the top of the line Gauger RIMS mounts, a mount on the bass drum, the right sizes, etc...   They also have some interesting provenance having been owned by all of the best people throughout it's history!  :-)

Get them while you can because these Fibes kits simply don't come around that often.  If I didn't already have drums coming out of my ears, I would have them in my basement!  This kit is a no brainer, killer deal.  

mikebodrums

mikebodrums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Great tubs from a great forumite. For those few out there that still don't know Saladdaze, he is a wonderful dude, as cool as they come, and as honest as they come. This will be the smoothest deal you have ever done and you will make a new friend in the process.
Regarding these killer drums...they remind me of having a great Gretsch drum from what I consider to be the true golden era of Gretsch (1984-2004)...killler Jasper drums, great lacquer finishes, but a more open, fatter sound with the triple flanged hoops rather that the die cast Gretsch hoops which tend to favor more low mids. These Fibes drums are very full bodied with a lot more low end than generally found in a Gretsch drumset.

By the way, these Fibers drums are from the golden era of Fibes, the Tommy Robertson era in Austin, TX. It's hard to find a better sounding set of drums and this kit is set up as I would play them with the top of the line Gauger RIMS mounts, a mount on the bass drum, the right sizes, etc... They also have some interesting provenance having been owned by all of the best people throughout it's history! :-)
Get them while you can because these Fibes kits simply don't come around that often. If I didn't already have drums coming out of my ears, I would have them in my basement! This kit is a no brainer, killer deal.

Amen Tommy is a helluv drum builder I hope he fires up again. It's a shame he's not making drums now!

Saladdaze

Saladdaze

Advanced Snr. Member

• Double Platinum
  • 588 posts

Appreciated, mikebodrums and Treviso1. Price adjustment on these to $1500.00 with local pick-up. I'm 2 1/2 hours from Detroit, 3 hours from Chicago and 4 1/2 hours from Cleveland. Please PM me if you're interested or have questions about this kit. Thanks!

Treviso1

Treviso1

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

This has now turned into a crazy great deals with a matching snare AND timbale.  Would someone please wake up and buy these before they end up in my basement.  My wife would really appreciate it!  :-)

Houndog

Houndog

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City
No kidding, it's making my Fibes for sale here look bad ....

Saladdaze

Saladdaze

Advanced Snr. Member

• Double Platinum
  • 588 posts

Sorry about that Houndog. No harm meant. Just trying to move this one!

Houndog

Houndog

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Sorry about that Houndog. No harm meant. Just trying to move this one!
. No worries ......

studrum

studrum

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,541 posts
You can get a decent set of new, midline drums at this price, but they will not touch these drums - pure Tommy, pure Jasper, and pure Gauger. This is a steal!

(Wish I could get'em! In Michigan, too.)

mikebodrums

mikebodrums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Wow how has this not sold such a steal!!!!

edge

edge

• Members
  • 298 posts

I have to drive through Grand Rapids in the next few weeks, this may get tempting

Treviso1

Treviso1

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I have to drive through Grand Rapids in the next few weeks, this may get tempting

Michael is a great dude, Dean... You can't go wrong with this kit.  Also, Dean is a great dude, Michael.  Dean and I have been friends since the early 2000s.  I have a feeling a new friendship will come out of this one!  :-)

Saladdaze

Saladdaze

Advanced Snr. Member

• Double Platinum
  • 588 posts

Michael is a great dude, Dean... You can't go wrong with this kit. Also, Dean is a great dude, Michael. Dean and I have been friends since the early 2000s. I have a feeling a new friendship will come out of this one! :-)

Thanks, Rob! My favorite side effects of buying/selling here are the friendships that develop after each transaction. Dean, I hope we can meet in GR. Please PM me if you'd like to set something up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users