• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Vistalite Black

Vistalite Black

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

So, what drummer has the best cameo in a movie as an actor? 

Among the contenders has to be Brann Dailor of Mastodon, who I didn't notice among the White Walkers on GoT last night. 

Speaking of Brann... Is there a better drummer under 50 playing right now?  If there is, I'd love to hear him or her?... 

Here's a story on the GoT appearance: 

A few years ago, I was shocked to be watching an episode of Game of Thrones when I noticed a cameo from Mastodon members Brann Dailor, Brent Hinds and Bill Kelliher as wildlings turned white walkers. Hinds said earlier in the year that they would be back on the show, and he wasn't kidding.

Mild spoilers for Game of Thrones season 7 episode 1 ahead.

During the second scene of the seventh season premiere of Game of Thrones, there was a scene where all the white walkers were marching and you could very clearly see Mastodon drummer Brann Dailor walking amongst them.

The episode overall had very little screen time wasted (except for that random Ed Sheeran cameo). Everything meant something and I'm excited to have the show back and head towards the climax.

The creators of the show have been outed as big metalheads by Mastodon in a previous interview, and fans of the band, which is how they got the invite. They actually went into detail on exactly how it happened. The show even released a mixtape of metal tunes a few years ago.

http://www.metalinje...remiere-tonight

Edited by Vistalite Black, 17 July 2017 - 07:28 AM.

Grooovepig

Grooovepig

• Members
  • 429 posts

I got excited for a minute and thought you were talking about Vinne......   :confused2:

cworrick

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block

• Members
  • 5,849 posts
  • LocationNortheast Indiana

I got excited for a minute and thought you were talking about Vinne......   :confused2:

Ha! 

I thought they'd CGI'd Buddy in somewhere and this was going to be a thread about Cathy wanting royalty rights. :laughing5:

rockitboy1

rockitboy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationFAIRMONT MN

better in what sense? In metal or just overall?  There are a BUCNCH of pretty fierce drummers out there.

Vistalite Black

Vistalite Black

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Better in the sense that they're better, more creative, play things other than what you'd expect, drum at a level that's just miles past my own, sing and play complex patterns at the same time. 

Obviously, a person's favorite drummer is a matter of personal taste, but I'd love to hear suggestions of current drummers who can inspire me to the same degree that Brann Dailor does.

Certainly, the drummers who sat behind Joni Mitchell or Sting or whomever don't inspire me in that way. I just don't dig that kind of music.

xipa4

xipa4

Girl Drummer

• Members
  • 3,133 posts
  • Location<Insert Location Here>

Ha! 

I thought they'd CGI'd Buddy in somewhere and this was going to be a thread about Cathy wanting royalty rights. :laughing5:

Or I thought about random Purdie cameo in that movie....

xipa4

xipa4

Girl Drummer

• Members
  • 3,133 posts
  • Location<Insert Location Here>

And speaking about drummers in the movies,this one is a cult classic:

RIDDIM

RIDDIM

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationMD

So, what drummer has the best cameo in a movie as an actor? 

Among the contenders has to be Brann Dailor of Mastodon, who I didn't notice among the White Walkers on GoT last night. 

Speaking of Brann... Is there a better drummer under 50 playing right now?  If there is, I'd love to hear him or her?... 

I'm thinking Lee Pearson, Chris Dave, Eric Harland, Kenny Grohowski, Dan Weiss for starters.

cworrick

cworrick

• Members
  • 5,849 posts

HOW ABOUT GENE KRUPA?

cworrick

cworrick

• Members
  • 5,849 posts

I think there was another movie with a famous drummer in it.

It had something to do with a yellow submarine, but I'm completely spacing on who the drummer was. 

:laughing6:

Radio King

Radio King

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  • LocationVA Beach

And speaking about drummers in the movies,this one is a cult classic:

Interesting side note about Elvin's "solo" in Zachariah: it's mostly Earl Palmer we're hearing, as much of the original audio was unusable. He had to play along to what he was seeing on the screen and match it up as best he could. Not a fun gig. In his book, Palmer called it “The hardest session I ever did.”

douglasfir

douglasfir

• Members
  • 474 posts
Never saw that Elvin clip. Fantastic.

Slippery slope in regards to who's a better drummer today...

Answer: Mark Guilina

Haha

agogobil

agogobil

Drum Czardine

• Platinum
  • 6,978 posts
  • LocationStL

I'll have to look more closelier ... I never noticed Travis Barker on that show

Geostorm98

Geostorm98

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationCT

GOT has become a guilty pleasure I've viewed from episode 1...now that's it's become a huge hit my instinct is to head for the hills but there I was slavishly watching it last night. I have no willpower it seems. Dam. The Ed Sheeran bit was completely forced and unnecessary which makes me loathe it even more. I hate conforming...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users