• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

snappy

snappy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Growing up all that was around were Zildjian and Sabian.
Never played a Paiste...
About 7 years ago I saw a CL Ad for (2) 18" 2002 crashes, (1) 16" 2002 and a SKB cymbal vault for $300. The price was great so I drove to the guy's place and he met me outside of his apartment complex. I merely checked their condition (like new), paid him and left. They sat totally unplayed for 6 months until I next went into the studio and brought them along to see what I thought.
I recorded the first song without crashing at all and then went back and crashed in the appropriate spots.
When I heard the playback I exclaimed "that's the sound I have been looking for!".
The engineer said those were the first cymbals he has never had to EQ.
xxxxxxxxx
Ride cymbal story: I was trading some cymbals with a guy and he had brought along a 2002 22" "JAZZ ROCK " 1980 cymbal and, well, Paiste 2002 don't sound like Zildjian which my ear had grown accustomed to so when I played the cymbal in the parking lot I said it was the strangest sounding ride I had ever heard and was unimpressed because I was unfamiliar-the guy practically gave it to me so I took it.
Brought that in the studio and thought I'd give that goofy sounding cymbal a try.
(You can already see where this is going)
Voila! Eureka!
I sold my K Custom Ride ( which I like very much and do recommend as a ride cymbal option) within two weeks.
I'm ALL IN Paiste guys.
I am all in.....

Jdrum

Jdrum

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,305 posts
  • LocationNortheast
Great story. :thumbsup: Welcome to the club

Edited by Jdrum, 24 July 2017 - 07:53 AM.

slinginit

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...

• Members
  • 2,324 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA
They are addictive.

apcpa2000

apcpa2000

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
My addiction keeps growing with Paiste. I have a couple giant beats,2002, Big Beat, a full set of 602 reissues and just got my first signature. I will continue to get more for sure.

cymtrich

cymtrich

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,195 posts
  • Locationupstate ny
i like the paiste`s also. i have a 20" 602 and two 16" crashes that i love. listened to many crashes but these were the best(to me). paistes are costly but i think they`re worth it! bill

drawtheline55

drawtheline55

Owner/admin

• Administrators
  • 2,985 posts
  • LocationBoston

I have been a Paiste guy since I can remember .Mostly 2002s a few 602 reissues, some giant Beats. All hold up well too.

Nacci

Nacci

Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationRoxbury, NH.

I'm a die hard PAISTE man myself.  Congratulations and welcome to the greatest cymbals made.  Watch out though, it can get expensive.  Haha.

drummerjohn333

drummerjohn333

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Sorry if this is a rule break - I just could not resist.......(it's killing me not to buy these - such a great deal.....I already have a pair)

https://reverb.com/i...-hat-natural-14

supershifter2

supershifter2

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,198 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.

My 2002 setup

15" heavy hihats

2-18" power crashes

2-20" rides used as crashes

2-20" chinas

24" ride

supershifter2

supershifter2

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,198 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.

My 2002 setup

15" heavy hihats

2-18" power crashes

2-20" rides used as crashes

2-20" chinas

24" ride

Attached Files

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 11,929 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
Paiste are my preferred brand . Like others have said their consistency and shimmer are a big attraction for me and always have been . I use Paiste Traditional for my Jazz gigs but I have used 602s for those gigs as well .
The thing so really like about Paiste is how well their various lines regardless of Alloy work together .

Edited by RickP, 13 September 2017 - 08:56 AM.

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
I've always been a Z guy, but have enjoyed adding in some Paiste for good measure.

James Walker

James Walker

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 910 posts

About ten years ago, I stumbled across a 22" pre-serial 602 in a local shop, and was smitten - and that started the ball rolling for me.

For a few years now, I've used my pre-serial 602s almost exclusively, mixing in some old Sound Creations if I need something a bit heavier.  Eventually, I sold off some other really good bronze (some Agop, a Diril, a few old A's, even a few other Paiste rides and crashes) simply because they weren't getting used any more.

Attached Files

Edited by James Walker, 26 July 2017 - 05:53 AM.

mgdrummer

mgdrummer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,598 posts
  • LocationSt Charles, IL

Can't remember if I told the story before.  I was in 8th grade (91/92) and was a huge Lars Ulrich/Metallica fan so when it came time to finally get some "real" cymbals I headed straight for the Zildjian rack when my dad & I got to the local music store.  While I was drooling over all the shiny "Z" cymbals my dad was talking to a store employee who was standing next to the Paiste display rack.  They were talking and the employee hit one of the cymbals to show my dad this relatively new series of cymbals.  I was in my own little world checking out all the A's, K's and Z's but I swear I must have twisted my head around like the girl in the Exorcist when I heard that cymbal struck: it was a Signature series crash.  It was "that sound" that you hear in your head when you think of the perfect cymbal.  I lost all interest in what I was looking at and made a beeline for the Paiste display.  I've been playing Paiste cymbals ever since.

Sidebar: it was a few years before I ended up owning any Signature series cymbals, but I got started with the brand new (at the time) Alpha cymbals.  The ones I had were stamped "Made in West Germany" on the bottom.  Fun history!

repete

repete

This one goes to eleven

• Members
  • 3,956 posts
  • Locationsouth florida
At one point in time I had all Paiste signatures but kept on breaking my 18" full crashes. I had to switch to something more durable and ended with Zildjian and Sabian. I do still have my Paiste heavy hi-hats. They're probably close to, if not older than 25 years old. If I had the cash and a good supplier near by I would love to use them exclusively again.

Edited by repete, 27 July 2017 - 12:36 PM.

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
I have a few Signatures that I enjoy. Might add a few classic types of Paiste cymbals and call it a day. Majority of my stuff is Z, so one can quickly build up a bunch of stuff if not careful! I like having some variety, but at the same time, I want it to be things that will get used.

Edited by AtlantaDrumGuy, 27 July 2017 - 01:11 PM.

Neal Pert

Neal Pert

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 976 posts
  • LocationAmong the Coastal Elites

I always find this sort of "conversion story" interesting, especially because the things people end up converting to vary so much!  Some people spend their lives playing Brand A and then when they hear Brand B, it's a revelation.  Meanwhile, a lifetime Brand B player just got blown away by Brand C.  It's cool, and it's what makes the world go around, at least gear-wise.  More used cymbals to buy!  Ha ha. Some of the absolute best cymbals I've ever heard came from guys who were selling all their old cymbals to chase a new brand.  And it's cool, too, when people find what's really "home" for them-- when the buying and selling stops and they settle in for years of music-making.  

Anyway, enjoy the Paistes!  Sounds like you've found something your soul was kinda longing for, and that's fantastic when it happens.  

snappy

snappy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Thanks for all of the replies, gentlemen.
I grew up listening to Zep, Purple, Maiden, Police, Floyd, Tull, Journey, Ac/Dc, U2, ELP, Queensryche, Ratt, Queen, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Who, Stones, Saxon, Def Leppard (High n Dry) etc.
Cozy Powell (my first biggest influence), Bill Bruford, Tommy Aldridge, Jeff Porcaro, Bozzio, Garibaldi and on and on.
It's the split second the crash sounds like a shattering glass that I never heard in Zildjian or Sabian that has me hooked.

Edited by snappy, 28 July 2017 - 06:10 AM.

blikum

blikum

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina via So. Cal.

Welcome to the Paiste fam. I'm totally digging my 18" 2002 crash. It's so darn versatile. Loud, soft, crash, ride, wash, it's got it all!

Renoroger

Renoroger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBakersfield,CA
Yup, got my first Paiste (20" 2oo2) in Dec of 1974 - haven't looked back. I don't try to convert people that are happy with their gear, but I certainly have answered some questions at gigs! A pleasure to inform and entertain; I may have actually accounted for some converts...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users